Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 225

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Packard A/C
Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Mike-

Do you have some pictures of the A/C in your 55 to share with this thread?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2009/1/24 11:01
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Just wondering... Is that 'fan shroud' actually the condenser unit mounted on the engine side of the radiator? It looks like it might be.

Posted on: 2009/1/24 11:49
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Swap Meets. Where are they?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
JD -- Interesting observation about the condenser and you may be right. The orange doesn't look like a radiator and fan is awfully close. All the more impressive if the capability is there after the hot air thru radiator is still able to work on the condenser.

Mikec -- would also appreciate a pict or 2 to compare notes & I can do same if anyone interested. The factory unit currently in my 56 came from a 55 but the idler is quite different.

Posted on: 2009/1/24 12:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
I, too, am interested in adding a/c. Any after-market will do, so long as it at least looks tidy and will go in without too much headache. Looking for economical ("cheap") solution. I've seen kits (not necessarily for Packard) for around $1,200. It seems there must be a less-expensive way to get working a/c.

Posted on: 2009/1/25 12:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Some of the least expensive new units I've seen have been from Southern Air--but those are mostly fairly small capacity units--with the large Packard, maybe OK for you and a front seat passenger blowing right on you but not for anyone in the back seat.

http://www.southernrods.com/categories/heating-and-cooling/heating-and-cooling-systems/southern-air-1.html

By the time brackets fabricated and installation included you're still looking approx the figure you quoted and for a bit more for the unit, the capacity would be more appropriate.

Of course, you might be lucky and find a complete aftermarket unit from a junk yard that needs minimal repair but with those, without some updating, they almost have to use Freon R12. With limited availability, special handling, installers, etc that cost is high so it's a wash. Anything new will have the R134 option so be considerably less to install.

Posted on: 2009/1/25 13:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
HH56 writes:
"The factory unit currently in my 56 came from a 55 but the idler is quite different."

If your condensor is factory i'd like to see detailed pics of the condensor and it's mounting for the 55 and 56's. Also the dimensions of the condensor.

Someone, i don't remeber rite now who it was , posted dimensions several months ago but IIRC they did not have a factory condensor.

Posted on: 2009/1/25 14:04
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
With the 51-54 bodies, the behind dash space is pretty tight. You have the glove box drawer, and the large radio body, plus the heater plenium back there. I would think the that the only real viable option would be an under-dash style unit as opposed to a behind-dash unit.

Or... You could buy the biggest unit you could find and mount in up under the rear package tray like the factory one. That would work if you found one with remote electronic controls. Not sure how comfortable the front seat folks would be, but the back seat folks would be popcicles!

Posted on: 2009/1/25 14:24
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Here's an address for a nice pic of a 1955 400 AC setup.

Note: This car is pretty, but it's been up for sale for $29K for a long, long time.

http://images.traderpub.net/img/10/dealer/4012540/90327851_5.jpg

Posted on: 2009/1/27 22:52
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THe car has the standard radiator not the heavy duty. Also, the battery seems to be setting rather high.

Note the very large AC blower unit. Looks much larger than the heater blower unit.

What is that shiny round thing mounted flat on the fire wall between the air cleaner and AC blower????????

Posted on: 2009/1/28 7:11
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Don't know, don't know, don't know.

Just posting the link.

Posted on: 2009/1/28 10:14
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved