Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 227

64avanti, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 15 16 17 (18) 19 20 21 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 30th July 2009

First up at the workshop Wade checked the bore of Big Red's engine because he's going to purchase new pistons rings. Wanted to be sure it was 0.060" oversize, which it was. Then checked the ring thickness, the top three compression rings all 1/8" while the oil ring is 5/32". Because Wade wanted to check this was correct I referred him to O_D's post of:
Quote:
Owen_Dyneto wrote: Rusty, the engines I'm most familiar with, 6th thru 14 series senior eights, used 4 rings per aluminum piston but only 1 was an oil control ring, the other 3 were compression rings. Commencing with the 9th series the oil control ring was changed from 1/8 to 5/32 and that piston was supplied as the service replacement for the earlier engines......

Wade, happy that the ring sizes were confirmed, then asked John to see if he could source some locally. Expectations were high, following finding rings for Kevin's '35 locally last year, but it was not to be this time. So Max, looks like you'll get some more business from Wade in the near future.

After that turned to the cowl beading for the '41. Decided to try heating again with John's hair dryer, not that John needs a hair dryer, but this time to heat the outside of the beading and stretch that side so the inside doesn't buckle. A test heat and stretching, by manually pulling the outside bead, saw good results. So we, that is Wade, continued until enough of the beading was curved to approximate the bend required on the top of the left side cowl Installation was left to me and this was accomplished by using an awl to pierce a hole through the beading starting at the top of the cowl then a S/S self tapping screw was inserted but not done right up. Holding the beading in place the next hole was similarly made and a screw inserted. This continued, until reaching the last hole of the 9 required, the beading was trimmed to give an end to that piece. All accomplished, the screws were then tightened up and the bonnet(hood) was closed to apply pressure which should smooth out any minor variations in the beading. Same again for the right side and all was done.

Next turned to the underside of the '41. Now the running boards are off, I can access areas of the frame and underbody that I couldn't last year. So started scraping the surface rust, dirt and paint of the newly accessible areas in preparation to POR-15'ing them prior to re-installing the running boards shortly.

And earlier, before going to the workshop, I'd phoned Spectrum Rubberhttp://www.spectrumrubber.com.au/index.html who may have clips for the fore and aft trim pieces on the running boards because some broke during dis-assembly. Couldn't believe it when I found their site and under P for Packard was a listing of various parts available. But it was too good to be true, as I found out when the guy there told me their range was now quite limited. Nevertheless on Saturday, timing permitting, I'm going there to see if they have any clips and taking samples as suggested.

During the time I spent under the '41, just like old times with nose, eyes and ears filling up with dust, dirt and rust particles, Wade had turned his attention to Big Red. After the success with the cowl beading on the '41 Wade started on Big Red's. But because the beading is much bigger the hair dryer wouldn't generate enough heat to permit it to be stretched and shaped. Looks like a heat gun is required. Then he filled Big Red's diff up with oil, he'd filled the trans up yesterday, so the drive train is now lubricated. And finally he started on plugging the oil holes on the roller bearing shafts of the cam followers. Because of the hardness of the steel, a starter, an intermediate and a bottoming tap are all required to tap the threads required for the machine screws bought. And when I left, early due to another commitment, Wade was part way through doing the sixth of the sixteen required.

And on the way home, dropped into Bluey's Ute Worldhttp://www.blueys.com.au/# which is next door to the workshop. There I enquired if they did Ute bed lining spraying. Answer - No, but try Rhino Linings.http://www.rhinolinings.com.au/auto/default.asp
I've just now emailed Rhino a query about their product and await a reply.

Attach file:

jpg  (17.57 KB)
226_4a71593dbf0a2.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (22.34 KB)
226_4a71595821e76.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.03 KB)
226_4a7159725ed06.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (28.02 KB)
226_4a71598d6e4a1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.25 KB)
226_4a71599b0a65f.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/7/30 3:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Mal,

Would it be possible to get a little more detail on the rocker arm repair & more Pictures? These are always in need of service, and I am very interested. It looks like Wade has a plan, and getting along with it.

Thanks,
Jim

Posted on: 2009/7/30 15:55

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 31st July, 2009

First up at the workshop, in response to Jim's request, was to take some pic's of the rocker arms with the new rollers, together with the plug for the roller end of the pin and the machine screw for the other end of the pin. And yes Jim, Wade does have a plan and once it's done intends to go into detail about what he did and had done, so stayed tuned! For more pic's go to this Picasa album and scroll right to the bottom, but I think the best of them are displayed below. Note, Wade wanted to know if I had a pic of the new rollers before they were machined, I checked but don't have one. Reason he asked was because they had a thread and nut on the end now secured with a circlip and being threaded for machine screw plugs.
http://picasaweb.google.com/ozstatman/WadesWorkshopJuly2009#

The rest of my time was spent underneath the left side of the Coupe scraping, scraping, scraping. More difficult than the right side because of the fuel line being in the way. Will have to finish the cleaning on Monday as I got kicked out of the workshop when the guys went to lunch, Sorry, that's a lie, they said they were ready to go to lunch but I could have stayed but rather then get more paint, dirt and rust in my eyes, ears, nose and mouth took the opportunity to depart at that time. But returned later in the afternoon to pick up a running board trim piece to take with me tomorrow to Spectrum Rubber who may have the clips I need.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.08 KB)
226_4a729b010c657.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.79 KB)
226_4a729b0b9b3f9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.03 KB)
226_4a729b182d18b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.56 KB)
226_4a729b249fa12.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.21 KB)
226_4a729b3481d4c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.75 KB)
226_4a729bd70eea6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (27.52 KB)
226_4a729be34e716.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (27.33 KB)
226_4a729c0012e04.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.09 KB)
226_4a729c36e4ef7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (27.22 KB)
226_4a729c73b52ce.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (27.31 KB)
226_4a729c7eb37e0.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/7/31 2:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Thanks so much for the update and pictures, Mal. Wade has really come up with a great looking fix. I am very excited to hear more when he is finished. I can see this fix has much more load bearing surface, and the roller bearings should last a very long time.

Thanks,
Jim

Posted on: 2009/7/31 2:41

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I hope you have good luck with the cam roller fix. I don't have any details and only heard second-hand, but that method was tried by a well-known restoration shop here in NJ some years back and failed in a very short time. Of course there could have been some other reason, but everyone I know uses the Egge replacement rollers and pins.

Posted on: 2009/7/31 8:04

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Buggered last night, so no update done, but that just means a double dose today!

Tuesday 4th August 2009

First up at the workshop the engine crane was used to lift Big Red's engine then lower it so it could be laid on it's side. That done Wade proceeded to remove the internals including pistons, rods, main bearing caps, crankshaft and camshaft, with a few surprises along the way - the oil ring on #3 was broken and most of the big-end bearings were worn! Just as well Wade decided to go ahead and tear it completely down.

While Wade did that, I was under the coupe scraping, scraping, scraping. Don't think I'll ever be satisfied with the result but there's only so much you can do in such a situation. A "body off" resto would be nice but, seeing I'm not in a position to do that, what I have done will have to suffice for the time being at least.

However before starting anything I received a call from Chris of Rhino coatings asking if their local branch had contacted me yet. They hadn't and it wasn't that much longer before I received a call from their local guy, Peter. Discussed with Peter the feasibility of my requirements and also about texture, colour, slip and grip of the product and will find out more tomorrow when I take the running boards over.

Wednesday 5th August 2009

My plan this morning was to:
- See Peter about the spray on ute lining for the running boards.
- Then to Brookvale, taking the running boards and wheels to the sandblaster.
- Then literally around the corner at Brookvale is a powdercoater and see him about coating the wheels red after the sandblaster has done his thing.
- Then to Warriewood, relatively close to Brookvale, on the way back to pick up some Marine Clean and Metal Ready.

EDIT - Also phoned John Cain the importer of the new radial WWW tyres I'm expecting. John advised my tyres are held up along with Barry's '38 V12 as the containers are waiting to be x-rayed at Customs pleasure.

All this changed at the first stop where Peter assured me he'd be able to do a good job re-rubbering the running boards with a smooth, shiny black finish all for the princely sum of AU$220.00. Didn't have a reference point for price but based on plain running board rubber, which I couldn't use anyway and costing in the vicinity of AU$400.00, it seems like a good price but of course it will be dependent on the result. Peter also gave his opinion of powder coating wheels, which was not good, as well as recommend a sodablaster much closer to home at Seven Hills.

After contact Marty, the sodablaster, I was there in about 15 minutes and he then quoted AU$160.00 for the pair of boards and AU$40.00 each to do complete steel wheels, outside, inside and center. Although the wheel charge was up on the phone quote I received of AU$30.00 each, the rough phone estimate for the boards of AU$200.00 to AU$300.00 balanced the equation somewhat. So left the boards and wheels there and hopefully they'll be ready later this week. Marty also had an adverse opinion of powder coating wheels and both recommended 2-pack paint. When I told this to Wade later he suggested I talk "nicely" to Harvey who might be able do the paint job for me.

Then back at the workshop and, after catching up with Wade, got under the left side of the Coupe and proceeded to apply Marine Clean via the medium of spray bottle assisted by an old paint brush. Part way through this though Harvey arrived because "Kermit's" O/D cable was stuffed. Because Wade was going to take the hand brake cables for Noel's '41 160 Business Coupe's over to General Instruments for new ones to be made, he offered to have an O/D cable made up using the one from the Convertible Coupe as a pattern. The chance of a road trip prompted me to quickly finish the left side of the Coupe and off we went. And I also took the opportunity to talk "nicely" to Harvey while he was there and YES, he'll do the wheels for me.

Besides the above, the head and cylinder block from Big Red were also loaded into the ute. First port of call was Graham, Wade's engine guy, for a look over the block and head and both checked out OK. Second, around to Steve for chemical cleaning of both and they should be ready in about one week. Third, stopped in at Jaycar for some thick shrink tubing to enclose the blinker wires for protection as well as cosmetics. Fourth, General Instruments where the hand brake and O/D cables should be ready by the end of the week. And last, ABC Bearings, because I hadn't taken a pic of the chosen roller bearing/s before they were modified to suit Big Red's cam rocker arms. However, because Dennis at ABC couldn't identify them without a better reference than, "you know, the ones I bought a couple of months ago". Wade will return with the invoice when the new cables are picked up. All this to provide a "before" pic of the roller bearing just for you guys!

Back at the workshop I Marine Cleaned the right underside and Metal Readied the left underside. Then, rinsed off both sides, if that is the correct term. All I know is I got pretty wet with all that water flying around as well as the obligatory drops in eyes, ears and mouth. While that was going on Wade covered the rear blinker wires with the shrink tubing and then turned to cleaning various engine parts in readiness for the rebuild.

And a sad note. Late last night received an email from Michael, our club President, advising that Paul '54 Convertible owner had passed away in his sleep on Friday night. Wade and I will be attending Paul's Funeral tomorrow in Old Blue and Paul's '54 will be there.

Quote:
Owen_Dyneto wrote: I hope you have good luck with the cam roller fix. I don't have any details and only heard second-hand, but that method was tried by a well-known restoration shop here in NJ some years back and failed in a very short time. Of course there could have been some other reason, but everyone I know uses the Egge replacement rollers and pins.

Dave,

From memory, failing that it is, Wade had contacted Egge who advised they no longer had the rollers or maybe it was the pins, that's why this solution is being used. The roller bearings are automotive cam roller bearings so they should be suitable for Wades rebuild.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.87 KB)
226_4a7953b4c911c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.89 KB)
226_4a7953cc2b160.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.32 KB)
226_4a7953daaae4b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (47.20 KB)
226_4a7953e81919c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.99 KB)
226_4a7953fe8b16d.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (28.61 KB)
226_4a79540a99394.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.75 KB)
226_4a79542e04033.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (24.24 KB)
226_4a79543b3a241.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (43.42 KB)
226_4a795458e24d2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.34 KB)
226_4a79546baa5a3.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (27.08 KB)
226_4a79547a3540f.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (52.19 KB)
226_4a7955a8d47a5.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.21 KB)
226_4a7955c168028.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/8/5 4:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 6th August 2009

Sad start to the day attending Paul's funeral with Wade in Old Blue. Met Wade at the workshop at West Ryde then proceeded from there to the Christ Church at Lavender Bay for the funeral service. Paul obviously had a lot of friends as the church was very well attended.

Returning to the workshop, I'd intended to Metal Ready the right underside of the Coupe and then POR-15 under both sides. However all that changed when I checked my phone messages to find that Marty from Sydney Soda Blastinghttp://sydneysoda.yodelaustralia.com.au/ had called a couple of hours earlier to tell me the wheels and boards were ready for pickup. Phoned Marty to learn he was leaving his premises shortly, to pick up a new vehicle, so I quickly high tailed it over there. Results on both the wheels and running boards are excellent but instead of Soda Marty used Garnet, which is a better media for the type of work required so he told me. After that phoned Harvey, because he both lives and works nearby, thinking it would save me another trip to deliver the wheels for painting. Learnt that Harvey was neither at home or at work, however he suggested I drop the wheels off at his house so that solved that.

Back at the workshop finally got to Metal Ready the Coupes right underside. And while lying under the Coupe squirting, squirting, squirting, had a thought(not a regular occurrence at my age) to use the ute liner on the underside of the running boards instead of POR-15'ing them. I know this is close to sacrilege being an advocate of POR-15 but you've got to think outside the box occasionally. Also Metal Readied a few things that Wade needs painted for Big Red. Wade will clean up a few more parts and Metal Ready them tomorrow morning, then when I get there in the afternoon all will be ready for POR-15 and no doubt it will include my good self, as that stuff has an inexplicable affinity for my skin. During all this Wade was cleaning up more parts and in particular Big Red's crankcase in preparation for it to make a number of passes through the parts washer tomorrow.

Then when I returned home, had a message from Harvey who advised he'd already sourced the 2 pack paint for me, Mazda True Red, from VG Auto Paints.http://wwwvgautopaints.rtrk.com.au/?scid=11969&kw=4070695
See link for pic's of Mazda True Red -http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4750860

Attach file:

jpg  (49.36 KB)
226_4a7a9e16cddd0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.24 KB)
226_4a7a9e331d1e5.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (20.22 KB)
226_4a7a9e4036457.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (50.82 KB)
226_4a7a9e5e557ba.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/8/6 4:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 7th August 2009

Had the granddaughters over in the morning but Packard work carried on through the medium of Harvey phoning. Harvey advised that the wheels now had 2 coats of primer on them but he couldn't put colour on because of a change in the ambient weather conditions. I'll contact Harvey early next week and go see him, and the wheels, because he wants visual confirmation of the colour choice selected.

Down to the workshop where Wade had been cleaning parts in preparation for POR-15 in the afternoon. But before that Wade re-installed the radio in the Coupe and it's working well. Then I was left to my own devices with all the blokes adjourning to Eastwood Rugby Club for Friday lunch. In their absence I POR'd under both sides of the Coupe and the various parts Wade had strung ready for paint. John also left me a key so I could exit the workshop when I was finished. He needn't have bothered as I was still going when they returned. Started on the left side and it was tough going trying to reach and paint between the frame rail and the body with the fuel line as an obstacle. Must have taken half my time just to do that side. In comparison the right side, although awkward at times, was relatively straightforward. And the parts strung up on the windchimes were much easier to deal with, although they too presented their own challenges.

And of course I ended up with POR-15 on me, on both knees from sliding around upside down on the creeper under the Coupe, and a number of drops on my face and one in the left ear. I tried to clean up the first lot of drops with some POR Solvent, but because I left the cleanup for a while wasn't able to remove it all, plus it stings like hell! Probably carcinogenic and/or toxic so if I grow another head, and ones ugly enough, you'll know what caused it! The granddaughters though will be a bit put off because of "Poppy" sporting warpaint.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.41 KB)
226_4a7bd52483ec4.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/8/7 2:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 10th August 2010

Rang John Cain, the importer of the radial tyres I'm waiting for, and he advised they have been released by Customs but are not yet unloaded. Also phoned the chrome-plater and will pick up the re-chromed front bumper centre piece next week. At the workshop found Peter L there, he was miking up 120 crankshafts because he thought the crankshaft that Wade gave him some months back was not the correct one. Turns out it is the right one but probably requires new big-end bearings. And here's something interesting, the big-end bearings being used are Ferguson tractor/Vanguard/Triumph TR ones! Sorry didn't get a pic, it's easy to be wise after the event. Rang Harvey and arranged to meet him at his house where he showed me the wheels in primer and also the Mazda True Red paint for them. Harvey also told me he's pulled Vince's '39 120 Convertible Coupe's engine out in preparation for tear down and rebuild. And I won't be back at the workshop till next Monday and because of that I've arranged with Wade for him to pickup the tyres and settle the bill should they become available in my absence.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.16 KB)
226_4a7fca9f76230.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (31.86 KB)
226_4a7fcab0406ea.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.67 KB)
226_4a7fcabda62d4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.95 KB)
226_4a7fcad8e24b5.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/8/10 2:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
I doubt very much that Harvey will only need one piston, but if that's all that's wrong I have a box of them in varying sizes. So he is welcome if needed.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 3:04
Carpe Diem!! Registry

« 1 ... 15 16 17 (18) 19 20 21 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved