Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 218

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 25 26 27 (28) 29 30 31 ... 170 »

Re: Packards - Sydney
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 5th November 2009

Guy Fawkes dayhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes but no fireworks at the workshop. Instead there were people, Packard people to be exact. This followed from PackardInfo member packardsafrica's message last weekend of Quote:
.......I am currently visiting my daughter in Sydney and am a big Packard collector in South Africa. I would love to meet with people in Sydney who shares this passion........Looking forward to meeting with you. Regards Philip Cronje

Joining us at the workshop today after a ring-around saw 6 Sydney PACA members, some with spouses, arriving including 3 Packards in addition to Wade's, JohnM's and my Packards being in attendance. Philip, his wife Ansie and daughter Mariska followed-in PackardInfo member Appin(JohnF) in his '40 110 Sedan to be joined by Harvey and Carol in their '37 Super 8 Club Sedan and then PackardInfo member tabletennisport(Noel) not in his '39 120 Sedan but in his Rolls Royce(a story in itself) and Jeff in his '52 200 Deluxe Sedan. Later we were joined by Packardinfo member DavidM and Veronique sans Packard! I fully expected them to arrive in their show-stopping '29 633 Roadster but it was not to be. Although I did get a promise that if there's a next time he will come in a Packard, or if the Maxwell's up and running in that! David, I'm holding you to that, in light of the great disappointment I suffered today by your Roadster not being there! And last but not least Wade's good wife Gina made a surprise last minute appearance after the group pic was taken, she certainly knows how to time an entrance. A word of thanks to the guys at the workshop Rick, JohnE and Murray, they'd cleared the parking area in front of the workshop just for Packard packing.
guys.

Even before introductions were made Philip was taking pic's of everything Packard. A brief round of intro's and Philip was off again taking pic's, talking to the guys and I think, just generally enjoying himself with things Packard. And this was outside in the carpark! We also turned the cars round, my '41 120 Club Coupe, John's '40 110 Sedan, Harvey's '37 Super 8 Club Sedan and Jeff's '52 200 Deluxe Sedan, as all had been driven in and parked front first. So after a bit of shuffling they all pointed out and Philip took more pic's, including interiors and engines. Also looked after the ladies with coffee and a seat while the gents talked "Packard". Then it was into the workshop with Wade's '37 120 Sedan at the entrance ready to roll and 3 Packards in various stages of dis-assembly/re-assembly. Being JohnM's '39 110 TJ Richards bodied Sedan and Wade's '37 Super 8 and '34 Club Sedan's. So all up a fair range of Packard engineering was on hand to greet Philip and his family. And a word about Philip, he has 43 Packards but he says most are "wrecks" with his "favourite" '37 115c Sedan can be seen herehttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=377 entered in the Registry by Barrie(africapackard) on Philip's behalf as well as 10 other Packards of Philips. And by the time Philip had finished his first walk-around of the workshop he'd taken more than 400 pic's!

At this point lunch in the form of BBQ'd sausages and two types of rissoles, beef and bacon, and chicken and leek was started by Harvey. And did Harvey come prepared? Sure did. Apron(which he didn't use, much to Carol's dismay), BBQ tongs and a real sharp knife. Harvey was a butcher in a former life in fact, now I come to think of it, the apron certainly looked to be a butchers apron from what I saw of it. While I was slicing and buttering bread rolls Harvey had sausages, rissoles and onions a-cooking, and that's with the left hand, while the right was slicing tomatoes! Very handy, is Harvey. Must have been a success, I hope so for the tears I shed earlier in the day slicing the onions, because just about all went with only scraps left for Misty, the workshop dog, to enjoy. Lunch over, more Packard talk and more pic's, mainly by Philip, and a very enjoyable Packard experience drew to close. People were making their farewells, but not before a group photo session, and making their ways home. Don't know how many pic's Philip ended up taking but it would be well north of 500. And people here say I take lots of pic's, I'm just an amateur next to Phil! And Philip, Ansie and Mariska I'd like to thank you very much on behalf of everyone present today, for gracing us with your presence, it's fantastic to meet such lovely people as yourselves.

Did I mention Noel's arrival in his Rolls was a story in itself? I did, didn't I, and it goes like this. PACA's run to Port Macquarie mid-September resulted in his '39 being trailered home because of trans/OD problems. It was rebuilt by PackardInfo member Peter Packard(Peter Toet) and Noel picked it up and drove it home earlier this week but not without some problems but unrelated to the trans/OD fix. Finally getting it home yesterday Noel fired it up in the afternoon only to have smoke pouring out from under the Bonnet(Hood in US). Fortunately PeterT had fitted a fire extinguisher to the '39 only about 1/2 hour before Noel left on his journey home so it certainly came in very, very handy. Thanks Peter, looks like you saved another Packard. So Noel, with some doubt now in mind, settled for a lesser mode of transportation today in the form of the Rolls. Noel will bring the '39 over to the workshop, probably early next week, for Wade to have a look at what caused this problem. And speaking of Noel, he told me "The Flackmaster" had a request of me. Noel also told me there should be a trade-off in my satisfying David's request. Well, I'll leave it up to David for any trade-off but he'll see his request satisfied in the pic's below.

With everyone heading home turned to John's '39. And here I'll mention that even before anyone arrived today Wade went around to Ivan and had the worn accelerator linkage shaft built up so it could be re-installed prior to the engine going back in, can't get it in otherwise! Because I won't be in tomorrow the engine was going back in the '39 this afternoon and Wade will connect linkages, add accessories and such forth tomorrow. Still to come is the radiator from JJ Smith's but Wade will follow that up. Wade's also following up the parts and machining being done on Big Red's engine, Reason being he's got a wedding to do in Big Red the first week of December and time's starting to run out.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.37 KB)
226_4af2a3ae3a2da.jpg 180X268 px

jpg  (33.27 KB)
226_4af2a3c557597.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.89 KB)
226_4af2a3d329e57.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.01 KB)
226_4af2a3e3d3dc1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.04 KB)
226_4af2a416d0204.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.22 KB)
226_4af2a422a6afd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (14.91 KB)
226_4af2a43eef789.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (22.73 KB)
226_4af2a44cefa62.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (22.25 KB)
226_4af2a462a0211.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (14.69 KB)
226_4af2a4702a249.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (33.43 KB)
226_4af2a49790357.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.40 KB)
226_4af2a4b0b838b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.07 KB)
226_4af2a5300e19c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.03 KB)
226_4af2a53fdf9d7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.42 KB)
226_4af2a55097a47.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.95 KB)
226_4af2a55ff1be6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.31 KB)
226_4af2a571a1f78.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (15.78 KB)
226_4af2a597426e7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.72 KB)
226_4af2a5a2b9182.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (18.07 KB)
226_4af2a5ae0c92a.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (42.01 KB)
226_4af2a5c5b736d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.41 KB)
226_4af2a5d3b3a5c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.82 KB)
226_4af2a5e0bb0fb.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/11/5 5:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Re: Wade's Workshop
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Saturday 7th November 2009

Dropped into the workshop early this morning after clearing the clubs Mail Box which is nearby. Needed to pick up some nuts and, at the same time, saw some of what Wade did yesterday. All the left side accessories are now installed on the 110 engine, starter, distributor, generator and oil filter. No doubt all the clutch, brake, column shift linkages are also hooked up but I didn't think to check. And John, looks like the distributor position was temporary. When Wade first put it in he was concerned about clearance for the vacuum advance and the grease cup, must have worked it out yesterday.
Quote:
JW wrote:Mal.......Did notice that the vacuum advance looks to be pointed in the wrong direction. Maybe it is just temporary position.........

Also saw he has Big Red's front seat adjusting cross shaft back from Ivan. Looks like there's going to be a lot of patient filing being done soon.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.73 KB)
226_4af4a1249e000.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (36.88 KB)
226_4af4a1350d1b1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (10.83 KB)
226_4af4a14f38f67.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (21.20 KB)
226_4af4a15f15ed1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.19 KB)
226_4af4a17da874b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (17.21 KB)
226_4af4a18c430e4.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/11/6 17:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 9th November 2009

Quote:
Ozstatman wrote:......No doubt all the clutch, brake, column shift linkages are also hooked up but I didn't think to check........

After a morning with the granddaughters, learnt the assumption I made on Saturday contained a lot of doubt! Wade had done most of that work this morning and was tackling the road draft tube at the back of the block. Like a number of things with this engine it didn't quite fit, because all the accessories were taken off John's original engine and put on the re-built engine, which only had a water pump with it, little things like that came up from time-to-time to make what should have been straight forward transfers just that more difficult. From there the head was put back on but not without first taking all the studs out, some were loose, coating with sealing "goo" and re-tightening all of them. Cleaned up the head of it's protective coating, oil in all cylinders to ensure compression is gained on first start-up, a new head gasket, and torquing down the nuts to spec. Will be re-torqued tomorrow and again after the engine's run and warmed up. Speaking of which, the radiator for the '39 is ready for pick up, so start-up isn't far away. Wade adjusted the gear change linkage from the instructions in my '41 manual, now that the various re-built surfaces have taken up all the previous slop. But the proof of that will be in the changing of the gears, down the road literally. Also installed the carb, the linkage from the accelerator linkage to the carb and manual choke linkage. Wired up the fuel pump bolts, re-connected the lines from fuel pump to carb and fuel pump to fuel line and the vacuum line from carb to distributor.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.13 KB)
226_4af7d8ad8fa5c.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (33.10 KB)
226_4af7d8bb5d549.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.08 KB)
226_4af7d8c85e52e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.93 KB)
226_4af7d8dac8877.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.86 KB)
226_4af7d8e6c07d7.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (17.80 KB)
226_4af7d8fe90270.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (17.17 KB)
226_4af7d911e3120.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (45.29 KB)
226_4af7d91eafbc4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.52 KB)
226_4af7d92b69745.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/11/9 3:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i like the pictures of the cars from the top. cool to see the difference. ;0)

Posted on: 2009/11/9 9:38
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Like Henry, I enjoy all the Packard pictures showing details of your text. The photos, of the cars and people you mention make an interesting read - GOOD JOB!

Posted on: 2009/11/9 10:14

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 10th November 2009

First up this morning was to fill up the '39 with oil, did so, then removed the sparkplugs, hooked up the new Optima battery and cranked it over for for a while to get oil circulating. Gapped a new set of plugs and installed them, then Wade made up the new plug and coil leads from the kit received, with some minor trimming to length required. Although without a radiator yet, it will be picked up tomorrow by Wade, it was decided to try and fire it up, which it did after very few turns. Seemed to be running OK but wasn't allowed to run for long at all. This being because of the lack of cooling but, more importantly, because of the apparent lack of oil pressure! The oil gauge did work when the car was driven into the workshop even though the engine internals were very rattly, so no reason to suspect a gauge malfunction(that one's for you Eric). Took the inlet off the line to the oil filter and it was as dry as a bone, so it seems little or no oil is circulating at present.

But before we could go further Noel arrived with his '39 120 Sedan.Quote:
Ozstatman wrote: Thursday 5th November 2009......then PackardInfo member tabletennisport(Noel) not in his '39 120 Sedan but in his Rolls Royce(a story in itself).........Did I mention Noel's arrival in his Rolls was a story in itself? I did, didn't I, and it goes like this. PACA's run to Port Macquarie mid-September resulted in his '39 being trailered home because of trans/OD problems. It was rebuilt by PackardInfo member Peter Packard(Peter Toet) and Noel picked it up and drove it home earlier this week but not without some problems but unrelated to the trans/OD fix. Finally getting it home yesterday Noel fired it up in the afternoon only to have smoke pouring out from under the Bonnet(Hood in US). Fortunately PeterT had fitted a fire extinguisher to the '39 only about 1/2 hour before Noel left on his journey home so it certainly came in very, very handy. Thanks Peter, looks like you saved another Packard. So Noel, with some doubt now in mind, settled for a lesser mode of transportation today in the form of the Rolls. Noel will bring the '39 over to the workshop, probably early next week, for Wade to have a look at what caused this problem.........
An inspection of the wiring showed the power/hot/live wire from the atarter solenoid to the OD Relay on the other side of the firewall, this is a RHD Packard, had shorted out, But why? Because the power/hot/live terminal on the OD Relay was grounding out on the firewall! Noel had taped wires up to get the car over to Wade's workshop but it was obvious this wire was cactus. Question was, are any other wires similarly damaged. Answer, it doesn't appear so. So Noel and the '39 are very very lucky, could have been a whole lot worse. Noel left us to it, using "we" very liberally because "we" really means Wade. While I dropped Noel at the railway station Wade had already found a piece of steel and was cutting it to size to use as a spacer so the OD Relay would clear the firewall without any problems. Remounted the newlay spaced relay, found a length of good capacity cable, hope Noel like white, to use to replace the useless section in the wiring harness and cut it to length, added connectors, installed it and cable tied it in place. A former Concours winning Packard just got brought back to the pack.

And on arriving Noel raised some concerns about the brakes, saying "They aren't working too well". And after a drive around the block, before starting on the wiring fix, Wade agreed they wren't too good at all. Wiring done, Wade then inspected each backing plate and the master cylinder for any obvious leaks but couldn't find any. So top off the master cylinder and......like Mother Hubbard's cupboard......it was bare, well there was some fluid there but only just. Wade wants to get the '39 120 up and the wheels off so he can do a better visual inspection but before that can be done there needs to a re-shuffle of cars in the workshop before the '39 becomes immobilised. Also went round to the local auto parts shop, Repco, for a battery isolator switch for the '110, they didn't have one, and an in-line fuel filter for it, they did have that.

Noel also brought over "the remains" of his R6 Overdrive which he'd demolished on our Port Mascquarie run. And Noel has some words of warning. Don't keep driving as he did, follow the instructions in the manual should Overdrive problems occur. See pic's for results of keeping on driving.

At that point I had to depart the workshop because my eldest son and his wife are having their new kitchen glass splashback installation finished today so good old dad has come to the party and agreed to open up their house at the appointed time. Mind you as I type, that was 2 hours ago, and I'm still waiting. Now believe the installers will be here in another hours time!

Tomorrow? Tomorrow I won't be at the workshop so Wade's going to do a pick-up/delivery run in the morning. This includes dropping off a power steeering set-up for the guy in our clubs '54 convertible. Picking up the '110 radiator from Dave at JJ Smith's. And picking up the block, head and pistons from Graham Wilkins. There's also bound to be some smaller items too, literally the nuts and bolts. And where will I be? With Noel, when heads north to the Central Coast and Newcastle. Why? Because there's been a schemozzle with a shipment of parts that came in from the US recently! It involves the 2 x T/Ultras that Eric sold to one of our guys here with a '56 400, some stuff of mine that Eric included in the crate and some parts for Peter Toet(Peter Packard). Appears a guy on the Central Coast had imported a '28 Packard and also a spare engine for it in a crate. Seems the crate with the T/Ultras was confused with the crate with the engine and it was only after the guy opened the crate, didn't find the engine he was expecting, but found some stuff with my name of it that the stuff-up was detected. It's also complicated by the fact that the guy has paid customs charges for an engine he hasn't got! That could be a major stumbling block in getting it sorted out. Seeing that Noel was going up to chase the part's for Peter Toet I thought I'd tag along to help sort things out because of my involvement in the process. Hopefully it will be resolved tomorrow and parts can be pointed and delivered to their rightful owners. Stay tuned.....don't miss tomorrow's thrill packed episode!

Attach file:

jpg  (20.19 KB)
226_4af9092bc6ab3.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (17.77 KB)
226_4af9093645129.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (47.11 KB)
226_4af9094bcfe0f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (47.22 KB)
226_4af9096164023.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.72 KB)
226_4af90974accdd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.50 KB)
226_4af9098acb35a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.22 KB)
226_4af90998bf70c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (17.19 KB)
226_4af909a50f91c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (47.49 KB)
226_4af909c44232e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (48.85 KB)
226_4af909d032a0a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (44.97 KB)
226_4af909dc84fa3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.26 KB)
226_4af90a12b6a7a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (44.25 KB)
226_4af90a21c1322.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (44.97 KB)
226_4af90a2f5ca70.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.48 KB)
226_4af90a4a7419c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.04 KB)
226_4af90a54a54b0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (47.99 KB)
226_4af90a71051e2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.45 KB)
226_4af90a7b7588d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.49 KB)
226_4af90a8588bac.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.46 KB)
226_4af90a91f206d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.57 KB)
226_4af90a9cdae44.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.08 KB)
226_4af90aa8100e0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.02 KB)
226_4af90ab3e3b55.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/11/10 1:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 11th November 2009

Well after today I'm now a table tennis table delivery man and installer. Besides the Packard parts to be picked up at North Belmont, Noel was delivering three table tennis tables and erecting/installing one of them. Because I was "navigator" we only got lost twice, one of which wasn't my fault. That was because one street wasn't signposted and without a GPS it's very hard to imagine what a street's name might be. So I blame that one on the local authority responsible for signposting that area. The other one? Well I'll cop the blame for that fair and square. But......the last delivery was to a street also without a sign and in addition to which the street before that also wasn't signposted! We found that one anyway, so my map reading skills weren't entirely deficient.

But wait......there's more. After the first two table tennis tables were delivered we dropped some parts at Hamilton Chrome to be re-plated.http://www.classiccargurus.com.au/Hamilton_Chrome Boot(trunk) handle for Appin's '40 110 Sedan, '37 door handles for the "Flackmaster" and a headlight rim and grill slats for Noel's '41 160 Coupe. Then it was off to Belmont where we had lunch with Garry, who Noel had coached to Australian Championships in table tennis. From there we made our way to John Cain's at North Belmont where Noel picked up Packard parts for himself, Appin and Peter Packard. I also got the story of the mis-directed Twin Ultra trans' that Eric had shipped to PACA member Wayne through Performance Exports in Orange California. John Cain's son Lincon runs the Orange CA. end of the business and according to him the crate from Eric was not marked with Wayne's name or details. Because a '28 Packard arrived about the same time and a spare engine in a crate of a similar size was expected with it that's where the confusion set in. It wasn't until the guy received his '28 Packard and on opening the crate that the mistake was discovered. By then it had been cleared through customs and quarantine and duties and charges paid as if that crate contained an engine. Could get complicated if the crate containing the engine is opened for inspection because it has now arrived in Australia but is probably identified on the manifest as containing two twin ultra trans! Should know more about that in the next week or so. I've also emailed Wayne, couldn't find his phone number, telling him what transpired today and suggesting he contact the guy with the '28 and the Twin Ultras but no engine!

After all that still had one table tennis table delivery to be made but complete with erection/installation this time. Jobs done, time to head home after a long day on the road. But I'll see Noel again tomorrow as he's dropping into the workshop to pick up some keys he left in his '39 and to see how it's progressing.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.08 KB)
226_4afa8801ecae5.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.43 KB)
226_4afa881904958.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.61 KB)
226_4afa88269c21b.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (28.44 KB)
226_4afa883697525.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.31 KB)
226_4afa8843811a5.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (52.89 KB)
226_4afa8850c4eaf.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/11/11 4:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 12th November 2009

On arrival at the workshop found Wade working on re-installing the road draft tube on the 110. Yesterday, in searching for oil pressure on the 110, the oil gauge fitting on the block had been removed, a different fitting fitted, oil poured down a tube and pushed through the gallery in an attempt to get some oil into the oil pump. During Wade's pickup/delivery run yesterday, at the first stop where the power steering setup for the '54 convertible was dropped off, in talking the guy there said to Wade that with flathead Ford V8's if they've been sitting for some time the oil can drain from the pump and on startup again can have problems getting oil to circulate. I'm just reporting this for what it's worth, if anything, so don't jump on me if you disagree, I'm just the messenger! Anyway the upshot of that was oil pressure still appeared to be a problem because the gauge still wasn't registering. The other thing done on this front yesterday was to again dis-connect the inlet to the oil filter and at least there oil WAS coming through now. But back to this morning, Wade was hooking up a gauge directly to the gallery in lieu of the connection to the 110's gauge, and this showed 25lbs pressure so now at least oil was circulating! Reconnected the fitting and line to the 110's gauge, but still nothing. Disconnected the under the dash end of the oil line at the gauge, still nothing, not even a dribble. Disconnected the engine end of the oil line and used compressed air to blow the line through from the dash end. At first, nothing. Then, a dribble or two. Then, a spurt of dirty looking oil, but without obvious lumps. Then a small flow of oil followed by some spitting and spluttering of more dirty oil. Then, just air. Connected line up again to engine, leaving gauge end open. Cranking, and more cranking, and finally a few dribbles of oil. Connected line up to gauge again, started the engine, and there it was the needle slowly creeping up the gauge. All worked out well in the end but was worrisome until pressure was seen on John's remote gauge but was even better in the end with pressure recorded on the 110's gauge. Wade doesn't want to go through this again as he had the connection to the fitting or the block in and out about a dozen times. With the restricted space, because of the master cylinder, steering box and gear lever linkages on RHD Packards, access is very very limited.

That out of the way what else was there to do? Install the thermostat housing temporarily, the retaining clip was missing when the thermostat arrived and Wade's still waiting for it's replacement to arrive. And yesterday Wade had picked up the 110's radiator. Dave at JJ Smiths said besides repairing the leaks it needed very little doing to it. The top tank had a layer of "mud" which cleaned out easily and subsequent flushings were all clear. They also replaced the neck on the tank and supplied a new correct pressure cap. And after getting it back to the workshop yesterday Wade had firstly fixed the sticking shutters on the grill before fitting the radiator to it's cradle in the front clip.

Next step was re-installing the front clip. Rounding up the manpower in the shop, we had 5 guys available. With Rick and I on the backs of the mudguards(fenders), John and another guy on the front and Wade directing to ensure the big bolt on the bottom of the radiator cradle aligned and dropped into it's hole it was a relatively straight-forward operation. Then the bonnet(hood) stays were re-instlled, but not tightened up, the bonnet put in place and it's rear mounting bolts re-installed. Then came the harder part, aligning things so that bonnet(hood) gaps were OK. I was going to say it wasn't a scientific exercise, because it was done mainly by eye, but then I realised I was discounting a mechanical phenomenon, Wade. I'm sure there were all sorts of calculations being performed "up there" before the "a little bit this way", or "push it that way" instructions were issued. The mudguard to body bolts were also loosely installed and once it looked in good alignment the mudguard to running board bolts were done up but not tightly. With all looking good, the bonnet stays and bonnet mounting bolts/nuts were tightened up. Then as I tightened the undercar bolts and nuts and re-installed the long chrome trim strips along the lower edges of the running boards and front fenders Wade was getting the wiring back together. Note, the sequencing here could be a bit out of sync, lot to remember.

Part way through this process Noel arrived to pick up the keys he'd left in his 120. So Noel was given an update on the '39 and here's where I came unstuck. I'd told Noel Wade was probably working on his brakes yesterday but no such luck, as he'd concentrated on the 110's perceived oil problems instead. He did get to see the replacement cable Wade had installed for the burnt out one. And during the course of his visit Noel rang Peter Toet(Peter Packard) and Wade ended up having a discussion with Peter about the brakes on the 120. Looks like there could be a major overhaul required, so more work for Wade. The other thing Noel did was bring over the front shocks for his '41 160 Club Coupe, and Wade's going to contact Tony "Shocks" about having them re-built.

After Noel left work on the 110 continued, with re-installing and tightening of all the under car nuts/bolts for the front clip and running board strips. Reason Wade had to do the wiring is because wires were cut, and carefully tagged, in getting the front clip off to facilitate it's removal. Wade had to install numerous m/f connectors in doing this so if the clip needs to come off in the future the works now been done. Things remaining to be completed on the 110 are:
Radiator hose filter to be installed in the upper radiator hose.
Upper and lower radiator hoses installed.
Battery remote isolation switch to be installed
Fill with cooling system.
Run, and warm up engine, and re-torque head nuts.
Wade will probably then drive to to/from the workshop for a few days as a road test before handing it back to JohnM.

Also, had a call from Wayne and he's contacted the guy who ended up with the 2 Twin Ultra's. The guy is only about 10 minutes away from Wayne, and Wayne's arranged to pick them up on Sunday. And it turns out it wasn't a Packard 6 motor in the guy's crate but a Cad V12! And I called Peter, the Rhino Lining guy, and he'd filled the running board holes with urethane and had sanded part of one of them back using #80 paper. Peter suggested I come and have a look which I did, but unfortunately I forget to take the camera to record this momentous occasion. Suffice to say it's looking really promising so my spirits were lifted. Tomorrow, Friday, Wade and PeterL are heading south to the Bendigo Swap Meethttp://www.bendigoswap.com.au/bookings.htm I think it's the largest annual swap meet in Australia. While there Wade will pick up the isolation switch and radiator hose filters because I want one too for when the '41's engine is re-built.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.21 KB)
226_4afcfdc149cbc.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (31.45 KB)
226_4afcfdcf4c9cd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (19.90 KB)
226_4afcfde891ea0.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (37.53 KB)
226_4afcfe04c7d6b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.36 KB)
226_4afcfe19d22d5.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (20.92 KB)
226_4afcfe2a48bf9.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (35.86 KB)
226_4afcfe7f4e700.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.51 KB)
226_4afcfe92cd4a1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.83 KB)
226_4afcfeaa74da2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (27.30 KB)
226_4afcfeb73a6f2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.78 KB)
226_4afcfeced0168.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.58 KB)
226_4afcfee3d83cb.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.23 KB)
226_4afcff2053bde.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/11/13 1:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 17th November 2009

Found Wade cutting a radiator hose filter to size to put into John's 110. It's not the same type of filter that Jeff has on his '52 which goes in the middle of the hose with a cap which can be unscrewed to remove and clean the filter screen. It's a tapering plastic cone which is trimmed to size to fit the inlet into the radiator top tank. As such it'll be harder to service but with the 110 it would have involved loss of coolant anyway in unscrewing the cap. Both radiator hoses were re-fitted to the 110 with the upper being a length of new hose but the lower is the old one which came out of the car and is a pre-formed hose. I know, I know it's not correct, but as Wade keeps telling me, we're not doing a full-on resto. With that done then re-filled the cooling system with water and fired the 110 up. Started fine but was running a bit roughly, but the vital signs looked good, oil pressure a bit over half on the gauge and once warmed up same with the temp gauge. Much checking for water leaks from hoses, temp gauge sender, water pump, and all is well with no moisture evident. The grill shutters were also working but didn't open right up, because it didn't get that hot. Checked for oil leaks with one found in the outlet pipe from the oil filter, tightened and should now be OK. Also checked the timing with a timing light found it to be too advanced so the distributor was re-set. That done Wade then re-connected the remaining unconnected headlight wires, and turn indicator light wires. Tested OK except for high beam which, when used, switched the headlights off. Wade had also bought a new 6V coil and a 2nd hand solenoid, as spares, as well as a battery isolator switch at the Bendigo swap meet. I left Wade contemplating where he would mount the switch on the 110.

During all this PeterL had dropped in with the steering shaft out of his '38. The bearing surfaces on the worm are worn and Noel thinks he might be able to source a much better one from Les, the guy doing the mechanical work on Noel's '41 Coupe. Another matter that came together over the weekend is the 2 x Twin Ultra's from Eric to Wayne. Wayne called me on Sunday after he'd contacted the guy who ended up with them and then picked them up. Besides being pleased that he finally received the shipment he's more than pleased with the T/Ultras themselves. And Eric's looking for more payback, as evidenced by this exchange in the Chatroom on Sunday:
Turbopackman: Tell him if I ever come to Sydney he owes me a XXXX for cleaning the bastards!
Ozstatman: OK - I think I'll mention that on the Blog when I post next!
Turbopackman: LOL
So Wayne, be warned. If a thirsty traveller from Kansas turns up on your doorstep you'll know how to slake his thirst!

Wayne also picked up the parcel of stuff that Eric included for me, stuff I'd bought on eBay and had shipped to Eric's address. I've arranged with Wayne for him to drop off that parcel at the workshop on Friday. Unfortunately I won't be there because I'll be off visiting my folks up on the Gold Coast about 530 miles north. Eric, whatever this wondrous surprise is, that you've included in the parcel, will have to wait till Monday when I get back to the workshop! Here's another Chatroom moment with Eric rousing my interest with what he sent me!
Turbopackman: Good, send me an email when you open it and wonder why the hell I put in it what I put in it for you.
I wonder what it is?

Attach file:

jpg  (30.04 KB)
226_4b0238a37a668.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (33.17 KB)
226_4b0238ae97fe3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.18 KB)
226_4b0238ba04f06.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (19.08 KB)
226_4b0238c580f20.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.04 KB)
226_4b0238d165d1f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.40 KB)
226_4b0239944a7dc.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.94 KB)
226_4b0239c4229ae.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (31.02 KB)
226_4b0239dee5d70.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.53 KB)
226_4b0239ea5b205.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (29.08 KB)
226_4b023a0b369d9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.60 KB)
226_4b023a17dc4e6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.76 KB)
226_4b023a2e85cfe.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.69 KB)
226_4b023a3991d6e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.89 KB)
226_4b023a517b4fa.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/11/17 1:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 18th November 2009

After a morning with the granddaughters it was down to the workshop. And what a difference! From sweet innocent youth to old cantankerous Packards! Is this sacrilige you hear? No, just a small dose of reality. Packards by themselves are inherently innocent just as children are, but give either enough time and there's a world of difference. The granddaughters being 3yo and 21mo are still in their infancy, while the 2 '39 Packards have both reached their 70th year.

70yo Packard One - John's 110 TJR bodied Sedan.
Yesterday afternoon Wade had fitted the battery isolation switch to the firewall. He'd also had it's Tillotson Carb apart because it was sucking air through one of gasket surfaces. Appears this might be the major source of the rough running. Wade had made up new gaskets but it didn't fix the problem. At this point Wade needs to talk to John about the options available with the best being a complete re-build by Tim of Carburettor Service Company.http://www.carburettorservice.com.au/ And Wade tells me Harvey was at the workshop earlier and he has a used Tillotson just like John's, so you never know. And speaking of Harvey, the reason he was there was to drop off the stripping from Spectrum Rubber that Wade needed for the '34. Seems Harvey rang Wade, mentioned he was going to Spectrum today, or as Harvey call it in his own inimitable fashion "Rectum Rubber", and I thought they only catered for automotive rubber products! Wade asked him to pick up the stripping which he duly did and being Harvey dropped them off straight away. And later on a parcel arrived from containing the gasket set, oil pump kit and engine bearings sets for the '39 120 Harvey's rebuilding for his boss. After moving John's car out of the workshop, this entailed shuffling 5 other cars around, we went for a test run in the 110. A problem was apparent immediately, the carb linkage was "catching" on the intake manifold and not allowing the carb to open more than part way. A very slow trip up the street until we stopped and Wade re-postitioned the linkage and then the re-built motor's power was apparent, and this from a 110! Wade decided to cut the test run short and return to the workshop but the trans then jumped/dropped out of 2nd gear! So there are 3 main problems to solve now, leaky carb, throttle linkage and gear linkages. The 110 was driven back to the workshop and parked for the time being.

70yo Packard Two - Noel's 120 Touring Sedan.
Part of the reshuffling of cars involved driving Noel's Packard into the space vacated by John's. This gave sufficient working space to be able to jack Noel's 120 up and put it on jackstands. That done Noel arrived, he'd mentioned yesterday when I spoke to him, he might call in to talk to Wade and see what progress if any was being made. And as he saw, not much since last week, except it was now on jackstands and in a different position. While Noel was there the front brake drums were removed and it was apparent from the buildup of crud inside the backing plates there was brake fluid seepage evident on both sides, but linings and drums looked good. After Noel left, the rear drums were removed using Harvey's brake drum puller, which enjoy's permanent residency in the workshop. Both came off after only a minor struggle. Rears didn't show any signs of seepage and linings and drums are good too. Then it was dis-assembling the brakes wheel by wheel, started at the left rear and worked clockwise around the car. Both front wheel cylinders have a lot of crud in them under the rubbers and the rears some crud but nowhere near as much as the fronts. Left it there for the day with tomorrow seeing the master cylinder being removed, inspected and assessed. Irrespective of the condition of any of these components all will be re-built, including S/S sleeves if required. And during the course of the rear brake removal Wade noticed the right rear wheel bearing was almost bereft of grease! Not so the left side where Wade had replaced the leaking oil seal there some months back. So another job. Funny, the more you dive into a 70yo Packard the more you find to fix. Ohhhhh, you've already noticed that!

Attach file:

jpg  (19.76 KB)
226_4b03a516cfe80.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (28.69 KB)
226_4b03a52113787.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.87 KB)
226_4b03a52dc3723.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.89 KB)
226_4b03a5407d50f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.71 KB)
226_4b03a554dd5e9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.32 KB)
226_4b03a5712a2fc.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.50 KB)
226_4b03a589e930a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.65 KB)
226_4b03a5a8bc4a1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (19.61 KB)
226_4b03a5bc68b0e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.29 KB)
226_4b03a5d2dc3ff.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.59 KB)
226_4b03a5e6389ed.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.48 KB)
226_4b03a5f977c34.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/11/18 2:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 25 26 27 (28) 29 30 31 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved