Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 213

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Another eBay cluster f'
Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Well there you go.. Maybe it's just a case of some parts fit and some don't.

Posted on: 2009/2/4 13:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you have an A.E.A.(Automotive Electric Association) catalog of original equipment service parts, you can identify which internal items like field coils, armatures, brush holders and the like are identical in AutoLite units made for Packard and those made for Chrysler and others.

These are really handy catalogs to have and if you see one for sale at a reasonable price, snap it up. Just looking at the cover of my 36-42 issue, it covers units and service parts of American Bosch, AutoLite, Briggs & Stratton, Carter, Delco, Delcy-Remy, Eclipse-Bendix, Edison-Splitdorg, Eisemann, Electric Auto-Lite, Fairbanks-Morse, Guide Lamp Div., King-Seeley, Leece-neville, Marvel-Schebler, Norma-Hoffmann, Packard Cable, Purolator, Steward-Warner, Stromberg, Trico and Wico Electric.

Great for example for finding the original Trico motor, arm and blade numbers, etc.

Attach file:

jpg  (154.08 KB)
177_4989e78d9ca2c.jpg 986X1280 px

jpg  (113.81 KB)
177_4989e7990b5a1.jpg 1009X1280 px

Posted on: 2009/2/4 13:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The bird hood ornament could pass for an Angry Swan. I also believe it's a Cormorant but Packard has actually referenced it as a 'Pelican' which is a bird it doesn't look like at all.
Pelican Source: 1951 Packard Accessories Brochure.

Posted on: 2009/2/4 23:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Packard refers to it as a Pelican due to the fact that it is in the Packard Coat of Arms. It is a heraldic symbol and the motto underneath says "A Pelican In Her Piety" with fledgelings birds underneath. Somehow thru the years the bird became a cormorant. I beleive there is a story associated with all of that in one of the CNB issues. If anyone is interested enough I can e-mail the editor and verify that and get the exact issue.

Posted on: 2009/2/5 9:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Thanks, Al. The Kimes book discusses the Pious Pelican and I had read it some time ago but forgot.

Posted on: 2009/2/5 10:12
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved