Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 127

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Carl G. Evers Post War Clipper Sketches
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks to John Lawrence for donating these. Here is the desciption and backstory provided by John.

"Here are seven illustrations of concept designs for the post-war Packards. They were drawn by Carl G. Evers (1907-2000). Evers is a renowned marine illustrator and artist. He came to the U.S. in 1947 after working as an auto illustrator in Sweden. He created illustrations for Argosy and other magazines in addition to many fine paintings using a nautical theme. You can find some of Evers work on the Internet.

The sketches were concepts for the post-Clipper senior Packards. You can see a Roll Royce and Mercedes Benz influence in some of them. It would have been interesting if these neo-classical designs had been produced, or parts of them incorporated into the post-21st series cars. They would have had most attractive styling, especially with the vertical grille treatment.

The story of how these drawings survived is somewhat typical of other items rescued from the Packard trash bin. When Packard was shutting down, its design studio material was being discarded indiscriminately. John Rienhart was a designer for Packard at the time. He managed to retrieve the original Evers sketches, among other things. Later, in the early 1970s, Rienhart worked at the Ford Design Center, at the same time as a fellow Art Center graduate of my brother's. He was shown the sketches by Rienhart and was given permission to make copies of them. Knowing my brother's Packard background, he allowed him to make copies of the drawings, which I am sharing with you."

Discuss....

Posted on: 2009/2/5 16:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Carl G. Evers Post War Clipper Sketches
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Very awesome find. This first concept picture really reminds me of the stepdown hudsons of 1948-54. Very beautiful lines. I really enjoy these design sketches. The influences they capture is outstanding.

Attach file:

jpg  (95.31 KB)
633_498b5a9c143a3.jpg 1280X989 px

jpg  (39.53 KB)
633_498b5b975d34e.jpg 735X450 px

Posted on: 2009/2/5 16:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Had Packard only built cars like this in 1948!

Posted on: 2009/2/5 17:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Thank you John Lawrence. When I see what could have been! Sharing these wonderful sketches is what this forum is all about. Thank you for increasing my knowledge.

Posted on: 2009/2/5 21:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
If I'd only kept that parted out but solid '53 Hornet coupe, the front clip off my wrecked '48 Packard, dropped in a dual quad 374 and a 4 speed, and used the dash from a '48-'50 Packard, I could have built one of these. Concept #1 is f'n awseome! I like them all though, especially #2 and #4, definately some '50s Mercedes influence there.

Posted on: 2009/2/5 21:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Concept 2 is interesting with it's eyebrow or floating bumpers/bumperettes positioned over the main bumper and it traditionally styled Packard grill.

But the winner for me is Concept 1. This design has a more radical but very pleasantly proportioned Packard type grill with both Packard emblem and Cormorant hood ornament. It is very nicely positioned in the split bumper with thrusting centre hubs either side of the grill together with a chin bumper for good effect.

Posted on: 2009/2/5 23:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
I can't access the sketches for some reason..
I must be technically challenged today..

Posted on: 2009/2/6 12:20
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The Sketches are in the Show and Concept category in the "Packard Pictures" archive.

Posted on: 2009/2/6 12:23
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Thanks BigKev!
They are elegant sketches. The Rolls/MB influence certainly is there..

Posted on: 2009/2/6 12:36
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
other than the first version, which has a Hudson/Lancia fuselage body look to me, I think that the others which resemble Jaguar/Mercedes styling of the 50's would have looked very stodgy in their time. Consider the styling themes of the era - jet aircraft, wider and lower. They look attractive to us now as late 40's designs, but they don't very forward-looking for the era.

Posted on: 2009/2/6 12:36
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved