Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
89 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 89

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 Packard 20amp fuse blowing
Just popping in
Just popping in

Sigmon
See User information
Hello I'm new to this group and have a question. I just got a 1955 packard 400. It's a 2 door hardtop. The first few days the interior and body lights worked. Now the 20amp fuse blows as soon as the battery is connected. The terminal will spark and the fuse blows immediately. I am at a loss. I have no idea why it's doing that when it was fine. Anyone have any ideas? Thank you for your time

Attach file:

jpeg  (482.90 KB)
201284_5d9fd77819dcb.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/10/10 20:14
 Top  Print 

Re: 1955 Packard 20amp fuse blowing
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Am assuming you are speaking of the body feed fuse under the dash and if so, that fuse feeds quite a few items. Here is the basic list but in addition, a couple of more things it protects are the rear seat cigar lighters and the trunk light.

A few known issues are the rear cigar lighters can short and if one is stuck depressed or worn so it is cocked or has a sloppy fit in the lighter socket it could be the problem.

The wiring to the trunk light assy can get caught in a hinge or get pulled and shorted in one of the clamps as it makes the transition to the lid, the glovebox light has a small tab like terminal on the end of the wire that inserts in the lamp assy and if it gets pulled out could be shorting.

The wires to the outside courtesy lights on the fender could have moved away from a sort of secured area where they feed thru to the lights and gotten caught in a rear window mechanism.

The body loom exits the left kickpanel space thru a notch at the bottom and is clamped to the floor for a few inches. It could have worn at the notch or clamp area or continued foot pressure over the years could have damaged the power wire somewhere in the loom along its path.

In a 55 that fuse also feeds the brake light switch so a shorted original 3 terminal brake switch or a faulty conversion mod if that has been used to replace the original switch could be a problem. The light green wire that exits the brake switch or conversion kit is powered all the time the brakes are not energized. It goes under the dash to the torsion level on/off switch at the left underside of dash. The wire terminal could have pulled out of the switch and shorted. If those terminals are OK and switch is on then the lt green wire continues on down to the TL control switch and something could have damaged it under the car.

If you don't have a 55 wiring diagram one can be downloaded from the literature section.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.26 KB)
209_5d9fef1364de3.jpg 1460X238 px

Posted on: 2019/10/10 21:55
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Sigmon,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '55 Four Hundred in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2019/10/10 22:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Sigmon
See User information
Figured out the problem, it was the light above the radio. The spring inside the socket was hitting the wire and shorting out. Was actually the last thing I checked.
Thanks for the reply.

Posted on: 2019/10/11 18:33
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Sigmon for including your '55 Four Hundred Hardtop Coupe in the Registry. Looks Good!

Posted on: 2019/10/11 18:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Sigmon wrote:
Figured out the problem, it was the light above the radio. The spring inside the socket was hitting the wire and shorting out. Was actually the last thing I checked.
Thanks for the reply.

Glad you found the problem and it turned out to be simple. Was the bulb missing or is the socket or phenolic support plates damaged? Normally the contacts are in the phenolic plate and the spring is just slightly smaller than the shell so retained and the two cannot get close to each other to short.

Posted on: 2019/10/11 20:34
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved