Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
67 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 67

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 145 146 147 (148)

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Get a Heavy Duty Cole Hersee switch. You can mount one through firewall so you can turn on and off without lifting the hood.

Posted on: 5/9 12:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I really need to get a cut off switch that can handle 6 volt applications. I'd rather not be removing the ground cable every time I'm done driving.

I second BigKev's recommendation of getting a heavy duty Cole-Hersee switch and mounting it so you can operate it without lifting the hood. Here is one such heavy duty switch but they have other variations too. The maximum amp capacity is the important spec for 6v. Typical 12v switches have much lower amp ratings. Ebay vendors and sometimes Napa or Amazon carries Cole-Hersee.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Your body is very similar to the later models so you may also have an unused punch out location just to the side of the emergency brake mechanism. I used that location to mount my switch but if you don't have a punch out maybe there is space to make a hole. Not wanting to bend down and flip the lever I went a step farther and made a bracket, shaft and adapter to extend things so I could mount a knob next to and behind the emergency brake handle.

Electrically the ground side was interrupted but rather than run a long ground back up to the original connection location at the front of the block I used a shorter cable and connected to a bolt closer to the starter.

Posted on: 5/9 12:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Get a Heavy Duty Cole Hersee switch. You can mount one through firewall so you can turn on and off without lifting the hood.

And that should be mounted on the ground side, correct? So it'll be ground post -> switch at firewall -> somewhere on the engine block?

Posted on: 5/9 12:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
Quote:

BigKev wrote:

And that should be mounted on the ground side, correct? So it'll be ground post -> switch at firewall -> somewhere on the engine block?

I personally recommend the ground side. If you interrupt the hot side and ground is still connected a dropped or misplaced tool near the battery and hold down or the cutoff switch could hit the hot terminal and any nearby metal to still cause damage. If the ground side is open there is nothing the tool could hit that would likely cause a problem other than directly across the other battery or switch terminal. Of course any aftermarket items that needed a constant "keep memory alive" power if fed directly from a pigtail on the battery terminal or cutoff switch would have to be taken into consideration if the ground is interrupted.

Posted on: 5/9 12:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 145 146 147 (148)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved