Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 132

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

What Kind Of Backer Board For Inside Door Panels??
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
I'm finally getting ready to work on the interior panels of my '55 Clipper Super and was wondering what kind of backer board to use. Masonite? How thick, etc.
Also is there a way to help prevent the unprotected side of the panel form getting moldy? Tyvek perhaps??

Posted on: 2009/2/25 10:50
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

Re: What Kind Of Backer Board For Inside Door Panels??
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Faust
See User information
My local upholstery guy always recommends masonite. Thickness is something less than a 1/4". I don't know what thicknesses HD and the like carry, there is a commercially available product. As to sealing the back, I don't know if there has been a change in technology, but most manufacturers use plastic sheeting of about 3mm.

Posted on: 2009/2/25 11:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Material matching the OEM material is commonly available, all good upholstery shops use it routinely. Though I can't cite a source off-hand, try Restoration Specialties. Masonite is too thick and not flexible enough for a good job.

Posted on: 2009/2/25 11:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
I used masonite for my door panels, and while I wouldn't want to redo them, I must agree with Mr. Dyneto. The masonite is just a little too rigid to be the best choice. The panels are too prone to pop loose from the slightly curved door surface. I've often wondered if I shouldn't have dampened it just a little before installation. Masonite takes a shape pretty easily.

However, it is only about $4 per door, and you can get it at Lowe's. I stopped by a restoration shop before I used it, got their recommendation, and used it because they said that's what they used.

What I really am curious about is what kind of materials people are finding to replace kick panels and rear window shelves. Masonite is indeed an unacceptable choice there, as there is a pronounced curve to those panels. Any suggestions?

Posted on: 2009/2/25 11:19
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
O-D & Jay beat me to it with the negative comment. I used the thinnest masonite available on a 56 which was labeled 1/8 and it is just what he said. Too thick and stiff besides being hard to work with when cutting the multitude of rectangular holes for the edge clips.

Restoration Specialties does have the correct material, labeled as water resistant, but the shipping cost is not pretty because of the oversize. If you're doing it yourself but have a local upholstery shop you are friendly with, they might be willing to order in the correct cardboard like stuff from their wholesale dist with a regular order and resell to you. I've done that on lots of assorted supplies they have access to.

EDIT: Restoration also has what they call painted cowlboard which might work for the question re kickpanel and curved places. The same shipping problem though. Weren't the originals cardboard? As an alternative to both applications, what about some thick cardboard or even the foam mat material from the artist supply? They come in large sheets, colors, and could be fit and probably made to conform by moistening the back, set in place and weighted down with sandbags or similar until dry. I use that stuff for templates when needing a floor layout on equipment and it's durable & works very well.

Posted on: 2009/2/25 11:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
You've used the foam mat material that way? When I looked at it (with this purpose in mind) it seemed too stiff and brittle to use. I never found any suitable cardboard.

I never thought about moistening the foam board. I just assumed it was too water resistant to be affected.

And yes - it is the high cost of shipping that board that deters me from ordering the "right stuff" from a distant supplier.

Posted on: 2009/2/25 11:50
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Upholstery supply stores sell the type of backer board you are looking for, but also they sell a plastic board product that is used the same way. It takes the staples and adhesive well, and wont degrade or mold from moisture.

Posted on: 2009/2/25 12:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
the plastic sheeting isn't 3 mm - that's about 1/8"!

Posted on: 2009/2/25 13:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
49 Deluxe, I was thinking of the foam board for the doors but after looking at it again, maybe too thick as it's about like the masonite--but it will compress and would be much easier to work--although not formable using water, maybe heat?.

There are some cardboards that I think would work for the kickpanel. One is watercolor board which is almost 1/8 thick, but biggest size I found locally is 16x20 so not big enough for shelf. There is another thick cardboard used for dry mounting pictures without a frame--also about 1/8 thick but available in larger sizes. The ordinary mat is too thin but probably could glue 2 together and would be about right.

Obviously the correct cardboard from upholstery shop would be best, but locally the suppliers are wholesale only so need a regular shop to order anything.

Posted on: 2009/2/25 14:14
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Faust
See User information
Quote:
Material matching the OEM material is commonly available, all good upholstery shops use it routinely. Though I can't cite a source off-hand, try Restoration Specialties. Masonite is too thick and not flexible enough for a good job.

After my first post, I stopped by my upholstery guy. What he uses is a material he gets through his supplier. It is black (not sure the color matters), single ply and about 1/8th thick. A cross between very heavy cardboard and masonite, more like masonite except no hard, very smooth, surface. Finish has more of a cardboard texture. I suppose you could think of it as very heavy poster paper. He tells me it is about $10.00 a sheet, which would be about 4' X 4'.
He tells me it is commonly available trough any supplier.

I used some I got off him a few years back. Seems to me I used a jig saw, but I suspect a very good knife would do.

Posted on: 2009/2/25 15:08
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved