Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 205

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Towing 56 with Ultramatic
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
He indicated that the car "yard drives" ok. My biggest concern in unknown cars recently acquired is axle grease level. I've had many that were near empty.

Posted on: 2009/3/25 21:24
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Am I not remembering things right? Because the ultramatic has a rear pump is exactly the reason it should NOT be towed far or fast. The rear pump after reaching a certain speed will lock up the torque convertor and turn the engine. My 400 will kick over the engine at 15-20 mph.

Posted on: 2009/3/25 22:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If trans in neutral, don't think that would happen. Manual does say car can be towed after all. My entire reasoning is that it has the unknown factor--yard drivable or not.

Posted on: 2009/3/25 22:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
If I couldn't get the trailer, how much time can it take to disconnect the drive shaft? Certainly a lot less time (and cost) than doing any transmission repair. It may be killing the fly with a bazooka approach, but I'd disconnect the drive shaft and have one less thing to think about.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 4:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I was remembering towing my 400 home. The PB was locked up and we disconnected the drive shaft to be able to move it. The trailer idea, as put forth by ACOlds is obviously the best solution.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 8:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you find you need a front seal, the original types are available and reasonably priced here.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1955-56-Packard-Engine-Front-Seal-6489724-NOS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el1262QQhashZitem320215408048QQitemZ320215408048QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Posted on: 2009/3/27 21:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
scottsEx wrote: Hello. I have purchased my first Packard, a 1956 Executive......

G'day,
Congratulations on your purchase and to PackardInfo. Please include your '56 Exec in the Owner Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you bought it.

Posted on: 2009/3/27 23:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved