Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
66 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 66

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rebodied Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I see this all the time rebodied. Exactly what does that mean ? where the cars in an accedent so bad that the body was shot and replace? Recently I noticed a 41 Packard woodie that said it was rebodied in the late 40s. Why else would the body be replaced.Do these cars have any value?

Posted on: 2021/10/2 18:37
 Top  Print 

Re: Rebodied Packard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the wood portions had deteriorated and was replaced that might mean rebodied for a woodie. Apparently back in the 20s and 30s it was also common to replace a body if a customer wanted a change or maybe a car had front end damage and the remainder of the body was still in good condition. If you look thru some of the service letters from that era you will see the occasional announcement that such and such a dealer had a body for sale and it would go on to give specifics of the type and condition and sometimes the reason it was offered..

Posted on: 2021/10/2 18:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Nikodaemos
See User information
Lots of reasons cars get rebodied. These days it is most often because there is no body on the chassis, the body is too far gone, or to mount a more desirable type. Say from a sedan to convertible or coupe.

In their day, rebodies were done for similar reasons, missing, damage, or different tastes.

It is a common way to end up with an orphan car or get much the same criticism as a resto-mod or kit car does, but with none of the benefits.

Everyone flocks to the majestic dual cowl phaeton, till they see the wrong tag and everyone snubs the "imitation".

That said, there is nothing wrong with one, per se. It is a good way to get an otherwise expensive body for a lower price. Depending on when the rebody was done, why, and for whom, it could actually lend legitimacy to the car. For example, if it was done for a famous public figure early in its life, or was brought to a different coach maker and was done "properly" with documentation, etc.

In the end, like anything automotive, it comes down to what one is comfortable with.

Personally, as long as one doesn't attempt to hide its provence, I don't care. But then, I prefer the lowly sedan, so maybe I'm just not refined enough to understand, heh.

Posted on: 2021/10/3 1:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
It was especially common in the seventies and early eighties when everyone wanted a phaeton. The man I used to work for when I was a teenager that got me into this mess had a 72 car classic car collection, lots of really big dog stuff.

He found a somewhat derelict 740 7 passenger sedan back around 1983, his restoration guy yanked the sedan body and made it into a dual cowl phaeton. He had crazy skills with an English wheel! The finished car was painted cream and it was gorgeous, but, it had started life as a solid black sedan. Often wonder where that car is today!

Posted on: 2021/10/3 10:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Maybe that re-body stuff is just made up crap in an attempt to hide the truth. Junk like "period installed standard eight body" on a Super 8 chassis is total crap. Almost every 745 roadster out there is a fake.

Another note: If the car is a fake with a sedan chassis it will not ride well. Hirsch had one and the ride height was all wrong. Open cars had softer springs. As well, no matter how good, I'll wager a reproduction body will not be as good as an original. Despite being composite structures, those original bodies were engineered. So sure, it may look great but ride like crap. Of course today appearances are everything and substance means nothing.

Posted on: 2021/10/3 12:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
Hi all,

Here's one for sale at Hyman LTD. Now, where did I put that spare $475k ...

https://hymanltd.com/vehicles/7083-1933-packard-twelve-le-baron-sport-phaeton/

Attach file:

jpg  1.JPG (78.25 KB)
2652_615ca9459a2aa.jpg 1334X675 px

Posted on: 2021/10/5 14:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I'm not seeing this LeBaron anywhere at Hyman for sale.

Posted on: 2021/10/5 19:09
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved