Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
23 user(s) are online (16 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 23

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Who's had luck putting an air cleaner/filter on their pre-1931 Packard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Still doing all the sorting out stuff, Sophie is getting better and trips on the weekend are getting a little longer.

It's Louisiana, it's dirty and nasty out there, so, how do I protect the engine without starving the tiny Packard carb and do so within the fairly tight confines of the carb opening and the generator (it's a '29). The motor only has about 350 miles on it, smokes a little at times because she's still running a bit rich, but, I'm working on it. Don't want to suck a bunch of bugs into the motor, and don't laugh, that's completely probable down here!

Thanks!

Posted on: 2021/10/21 11:54
 Top  Print 

Re: Who's had luck putting an air cleaner/filter on their pre-1931 Packard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
I've got a Detroit Lubricator on my 31 and have the same problem. Mine has a flame arrestor which attaches on the front end of the carb. I was planning on finding some heat resistant, loose fitting material (think a loose weave wool felt), sew some opposing velcro straps to it and wrap the who thing around the inlet. Periodically spraying it with silicone spray would probably help trapping the smaller particles. Not very pretty, but functional and easily removable when I pop the hood. A nylon sock over the front end of the carb would probably work in a pinch too.

Posted on: 2021/10/23 5:09
 Top  Print 

Re: Who
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
I don't know much about this topic, but these threads might be of interest. On old motorcycles it was/is pretty common to put on a K&N or a Uni.

Air Cleaner from a '33 - options, K&N, AEM

Looking for Air Cleaner Detroit Lubricator 1932

I wonder if one could make a gooseneck for a K&N-style filter using some pre-molded radiator hose like the following:

radiator hose scott drake Ford 302

Then perhaps cover it with an appropriately-sized tin cylinder for a more period look.

Finally there is this thread for a 1926 Buick

1926 Buck Air Filter options

These Uni "Sock" type filters are flexible and might bend around the generator, and they are very inexpensive.

Unit "Sock" type filter

Posted on: 2021/10/23 8:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
The 1920's Packard "air valve" type carburetor has two air entry ports making it difficult to fit an air cleaner. Packard offered such an air cleaner in 1928 as a retrofit item. See attached letter dated August 15 1928.
A few of these air cleaners were reproduced here in Australia many years ago and I was able to find one and fit it to my 633, see photo. It comprised two castings. Unfortunately, the patterns were left with a foundry that later closed, and the patterns have been lost.

Attach file:

jpg  Air Cleaner.jpg (213.16 KB)
579_6174866c1ef21.jpg 1664X2338 px

jpg  Engine e.JPG (247.73 KB)
579_6174872eab8ce.jpg 1632X1224 px

Posted on: 2021/10/23 17:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

DavidM wrote:
The 1920's Packard "air valve" type carburetor has two air entry ports making it difficult to fit an air cleaner. Packard offered such an air cleaner in 1928 as a retrofit item. See attached letter dated August 15 1928.
A few of these air cleaners were reproduced here in Australia many years ago and I was able to find one and fit it to my 633, see photo. It comprised two castings. Unfortunately, the patterns were left with a foundry that later closed, and the patterns have been lost.

That is awesome looking! Somebody really needs to get on the stick and reproduce these over here! A very much needed item and it looks fantastic to boot. Thanks for the heads-up on those, never seen one before.

Posted on: 2021/10/25 8:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Wondering if that little filter has enough surface area for the breathing capacity of the engine?

Attach file:

jpeg  096BC1D3-3DB9-4175-90D4-1EEBDC1B724D.jpeg (75.75 KB)
177_617a9e968cfa9.jpeg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2021/10/28 7:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Been looking into the motorcycle air filters like that, will probably go with one of those - that one looks like it fits pretty darned good. Obviously just for driving, would remove it for show duty (not that I'm doing Amelia Island, but local car shows and such).

Do these things cause any problems with fuel drainage from the downdraft carb or the spitting of gas they sometimes do cranking to prevent flooding? That's a concern to me, don't want a filter full of gas if the car happens to backfire (hasn't backfired so far, but hey, hasn't had an air filter on it before either).

Posted on: 2021/10/28 9:31
 Top  Print 

Re: Who's had luck putting an air cleaner/filter on their pre-1931 Packard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Here's an interesting discussion on sizing of K&N filters.

Filter Selection

Posted on: 2021/10/29 12:50
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved