Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 100

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: glove box
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'm waiting for this company to approve my account so I can see the pricing. But based upon what is out there, this may be a good candidate.

https://www.announcementconverters.com/gmund-leather-coal-27-55-x-39-37-111-cover-sheets.html

Unlike the earlier boxes that are stapled together as an assemble, and then just sits the glove box, these ones are not. There are no overlapping tabs or anything. The sides/front/back are part of the same sheet as the bottom, and have a just creased relief to make a clean fold. Then every side is glued to the metal box itself.

I imagine that all the sides are folded in flat over the bottom with the front and back panels being on top. Then it's placed in the bottom of the glove box shell. Then the front and back are unfolded and glued into place. Then side sides are unfolded and glued, which also wedges/locks the front and back into place. That's how this original one looks to me.

So I think as long as the correct(ish) card stock can be located, the rest is pretty simple.

Posted on: 2021/11/30 17:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Following up on this, I got some samples of that stock in. #110 Cover stock is the thickest they make, and it's still 1/3rd thickness of the original material. This material is about the thickness of a business card (~1/48th?), as opposed to the needed ~1/16th to match the original. So It would have to be laminated to some thicker black card stock to match the original, or it could be glued directly to the box as the original was, just not sure how it would hold up.

But as far as texture, I think it's spot on. Here is a picture, the light isn't the greatest, hence why the original material still in the glovebox looks darker, but it's looking pretty much the same to me.

Attach file:

jpg  Sheet1.jpg (145.41 KB)
1_61b100817ee87.jpg 864X1920 px

jpg  Sheet2.jpg (187.38 KB)
1_61b1008966132.jpg 1189X2642 px

Posted on: 2021/12/8 13:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Shouldn't be all that difficult once the materials are found, "Japanese paper cutting" I recall some I've replaced were creased to fold so you could install them inside and expand out, but no Packards. I think there's remnants in mine but I haven't looked in it for a while. I know it's there because I looked for the build sheet on top or I'm having an out of brain senior moment.

These guys got a long list but no Packs.
https://collectorsautosupply.com/interior/glove-box-liners/

IF that other guy can't make one, maybe one of these places will or you'll find something that fits and can adhere the proper finish paper inside.
In this "hobby" it's all about knowing industry stuff and researching/contacts. There's some guy out there that made glove box liners for a living or still does. Just have to find him...
I've had to have large custom shipping boxes made out of corrugated, so would be similar. They cut stock out to fold up. It comes flat.

Posted on: 2021/12/10 15:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have a simple device that cuts, perforates and creases that was inexpensive from Staples or one of the other chain office supply stores. Since it uses roller blades, it can't cut to a corner but can certainly put a nice crease once it is cut and the blades are changed by turning a dial.

Posted on: 2021/12/10 16:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Sorry for the crappy photo, but I was in the garage today, working on the Cad, and only had the flip phone and a flash light and remembered to look at the glove box liner. It's in very good shape. '49 Deluxe club sedan 2 dr, 23 series.
The grey paper has some type of lined embossing in the back and the sides are different/smooth. No fuzzy stuff in here. If needed, I could take it out some day and make a pattern or use the camera and lights and take better pix.

ps: About the only edible thing the mice, insects, and squirrels didn't eat. I guess since it was closed, they couldn't get inside.

Attach file:

jpg  49gloveboxliner.jpg (63.33 KB)
13733_61b50a1698dfa.jpg 768X1024 px

Posted on: 2021/12/11 15:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Postwar thru 50 and maybe on the prewars too the senior models got flocking on the glove box cardboard while the lesser models only had plain or minimally embossed cardboard.

Parts book says 51 just had the drawer bottom covered in the leatherette or vinyl finish while 52-4 went a bit more upscale with the bottom and sides covered in the embossed material.

Posted on: 2021/12/11 15:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved