Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 239

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Re: Asking the men and women who own one...
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David Conwill
See User information
The '52 200 Deluxe that first kindled my interest in these cars is still around and still for sale:http://saginaw.craigslist.org/cto/3385827436.html

Unfortunately, when it disappeared, I bought a pair of Falcons and no longer have the liquidity I did when I started this thread. They're great commuters, but I've been wishing for a larger, road-trip car for my now-five-person family.

Just reviewing this thread and wanted to provide an update. I have a sense I may yet acquire one of these. My goals have changed, though, and I would probably be looking at a TH-700R4 swap now instead of a stick.

Posted on: 2012/11/6 10:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
David,
for coming back and updating us on what did or didn't happen. Hopefully there's a Packard in your future suitable for you and your family.

Posted on: 2012/11/6 13:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David Conwill
See User information
Further updating: Recent conversations with my wife have us thinking of unloading both Falcons and the Camaro and trying to get into an early '50s convertible. Topping that list (for me) are the '51-'54 Packards. Conservatively speaking, we'll have about $20,000 to work with once the current fleet is liquidated.

I see lots of Number 1 or 2 cars advertised for big bucks, and lots of parts/project cars advertised for virtually nothing, but it seems Number 3 and 4 driver cars are hard to find. Nevertheless, the price guides are suggesting $18,600 to $19,200 is an appropriate sum.

Think I'm in range?

Posted on: 2012/11/20 10:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't pretend to know values anymore but do like the choice of years. Caribbeans are surely out of that price range but decent #3 regular convertible drivers should be out there. Of course, the word convertible immediately jacks an ordinary price by 3.

I would go for 53-4 because of the refinements in styling and a few mechanical changes. 51-2 is OK but not quite as plush. Except for the aluminum head on the 54 359 engine, all are extremely dependable cars.

The nice thing about those years is so much is interchangeable. Forget the roof is chopped off and so much of everything else is in a large part available from an ordinary sedan or hardtop.

Posted on: 2012/11/20 16:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David Conwill
See User information
Regarding Caribbeans, don't I know it!

This one is about two blocks from me, and although it says "Call for pricing", I think the last time it was on eBay they had it starting at $42,500.

There was a regular '53 ragtop in the Packardinfo classifieds this summer that had an initial asking price of $26,000; and sedans I've seen in similar condition have all been advertised around $7000. I think your 3:1 ratio for the drop tops holds true.

Next down on my list is a '54 Pontiac Star Chief convertible, but from appearances, the Pontiac is about half the car for half again as much money as a Packard.

I'm patient, anyway. I can't even dig the Camaro out of the barn until we've moved, so it probably won't officially go up for sale until next spring.

Posted on: 2012/11/20 16:57
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved