Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 200

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

suspension question...
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

T&J's 1956
See User information
I have found a 1956 Patrician for the wifey to drive. We have a collection of classics but this will be her's exclusively. It has been in a heated garage since 1981 and is in real nice shape. I know all the things we will need to do before it is road worthy, but my question is this: As the car sits in the garage it takes a slight bow to the front passengers corner. Do the torsion bars fail or should this go away once the self-leveling motor is energised? We will be making a photo gallery to share. I should take possession in the week or so.

Thanks in advance! We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thomas & Jennifer

Posted on: 2009/4/8 8:50
 Top  Print   

Re: suspension question...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If just one corner low, would drive for a bit and check again. If still low only on that corner then look for excessive friction, bushings in poor condition, or something bent. The suspension does rely on low friction, proper lubrication for the various components. Tech bulletin 55-T1 available on site goes into this. Failed bars are not the norm and as I recall, no one posting here has come across any.

If entire side low, then there are factory different length and aftermarket adjustable links for front load arm to take care of differences.

The spec is on a level surface, the height from floor to bottom of car in area between doors is 10" +/- with 3/8 between sides allowable. The leveler basically only controls front to back differences by moving the rear--although should affect everything equally. Generally when leveler adjusted correctly assuming all else proper, the bottom of fender skirt will split the hexagon in hubcap.

Posted on: 2009/4/8 9:40
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

T&J's 1956
See User information
Thanks for the speedy response. We have a 1969 Cadillac in amazing condition but the car is too linear (straight lined) for her. She likes "roundy" cars. The Cadillac has the factory option "Delco pleasure lift". This a vacuum action that actuates a pressure pump for the air shocks in the rear. I cant seem to locate any info on it. but it works real well. The wife likes the feel of big cars and LOVES the power. So I hope the Packard wont disappoint.

Posted on: 2009/4/8 10:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
While the ride is exceptional for a mid 50's car, not sure how it will compare to the Cadillac of 15 years later. The Packard also has it's quirks and even a weak spot or two.

There's a lot in the forum about V8 oil pumps so have a look at those and remember the Ultramatic was probably the weakest link in the car-only the second year of a major rework on an older product. There were issues that still hadn't been worked out.

Driven properly with some decorum and care it will serve nicely, but abuse it by trying to keep up with Porsches and it will let you know soon enough.

Posted on: 2009/4/8 10:46
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

T&J's 1956
See User information
The one thing in our favor is that the owner had the trans rebuilt by a packard tech only a few thousand miles earlier. He has a nice folder with all paperwork from 1958 when his folks purchased it. He also drove a '56 400. That is why he parked the Pat. So I hope with some care and coaxing it will serve us well and allow my wife to cruise in comfort and style.

T&J

Posted on: 2009/4/8 11:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
T&J, welcome to Packardinfo! I will make one quick suggestion, please put your car in the owners registry before a certain "Aussie Loony" comes after you!

After saying that, my '56 Patrician did essentially the same thing, except the other side. What I did was put it up on a lift, grease it, then drive the heck out of it over the roughest roads I could find. Then I went back and greased it again. Do this a couple of times and whatever's sticking should come loose and get worked in with grease. I had to do it 3 times before I got whatever was sticking knocked loose. (But my car also sat in a field for 40 years before I bought it, too)

Posted on: 2009/4/8 12:50
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

T&J's 1956
See User information
Thanks for the kind welcome! I do own a lift and plan to get it running first. Hasn't been started in roughly 27 years. Then do a complete brake job and service of the chassis including the fuel system. I'm real excited about this resurrection...I've had some real PIA's. Nothing has been Farmered on this one that I can see; mechanically. Some "friend" of his thought he could repair the small rust spot on top of the drivers fender ;) Funny how there is rust on the top of the fender just like our '62 Pontiac Tempest Safari Wagon had.

Sure am glad to hear that someone else has seen this on a Packard. I told the wife that the car liked her and it was "car curtsy". Four years ago when I first met the owner (he was doing a tune up on the radio for our 1949 GMC) he wasn't sure if he was ready to part with it yet. Luckily one of the tubes in the radio started to fail and he still fixes them. He has seen most of our cars and knows I fix 'em real purdy, and drive 'em real nice. So now he's ready to let go and is happy that it will be lovingly used and not ruined or junked. ( He still wont part with his Cadillac :( Yet)

Again, thanks for the replies and will post some photos real soon.

T&J

Posted on: 2009/4/8 14:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Turbopackman wrote:.......T&J, welcome to Packardinfo! I will make one quick suggestion, please put your car in the owners registry before a certain "Aussie Loony" comes after you!........

G'day T&J,
to PackardInfo, this from the "Aussie Loony", but please don't hold that against me. I second Eric's request about including your '56 Pat in the Owner Registry and please include a pic, any known history and how you acquired it. And if it's OK with you we'll get BigKev to move this thread to the V8 Forum.

Posted on: 2009/4/8 15:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

T&J's 1956
See User information
I look forward to telling the entire story...just as soon as it is sitting in my shop. Will have a photo diary from the minute the garage door goes up to the minute it on the road.

Please move this thread anywhere you want. My bad. I'm a much better mechanic than 'Puter geek. Not to mention it's my first day here; gosh...

I have a photo on my phone and the wifey says she can move it. (She's way geekier than me)I'll try it here in a moment.

Thanks for your patients!

Posted on: 2009/4/8 18:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
Oz You may be "loonie" but we love ya! In that "packard family" kinda way at least! lol welcom to the site T&j. the only thing i would add to Eric's idea is to check the shock on that side. i had a parts car that the shock was rusted to the point that it froze up. and once it was moved off the hill it had set on, it set funny like that. Hopefully since yours has been inside its more along the lines of what Eric's problem was.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 19:30
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved