Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
244 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 244

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1954 Packard Panther Emblem
Just popping in
Just popping in

fcycles
See User information
I was wondering if anyone out there might have some info on this emblem i've got. It appears to be an emblem that would have gone on the dash of the panther maybe? Or some type of promotional item for the panther?

Also does anyone now of any history of Packard and Willys working together at that time? The reason i ask is because i found this emblem in the cab of a mid 50's Willys pickup when i was restoring it about 15yrs ago. It was stuffed on a ledge above the windshield underneath what was left of the headliner almost as if it was placed there and forgotten during assembly? Im sure its nothing but just thought Id ask. I've attatched a photo of it. Any info would be great Thanks!

Attach file:

jpg  (67.55 KB)
1448_49e39cc15d040.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/4/13 15:16
 Top  Print   

Re: 1954 Packard Panther Emblem
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I've only ever seen this artwork used on a rather odd type of key, where the shank folded into a handle - like a penknife. I've seen a couple of other examples of this "key-knife", featuring other, non-Packard autos. The key was a blank that could be cut to fit many vehicles of the period.

I suspect this was an aftermarket piece, and not worth that much.

Posted on: 2009/4/13 16:56
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

fcycles
See User information
That's kind of what I was thinking probably some type of key chain or something but before I left it hanging on my toolbox for the next 20 years I figured I had better find out if it goes to a car somewhere. I suppose it would be odd to have a picture of the car on an emblem on the car.

Thanks for the reply!

Posted on: 2009/4/13 19:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
The image is of Panther #3, in its original baby blue color. Owned by Don Mitchell (of Mitchell-Bentley), it was later updated with a 1955 senior rear, removable hardtop and painted black and copper. Read Leon Dixon's article in The Packard Cormorant #34 for the complete details. It is now owned by a collector in the East.

Posted on: 2009/4/13 20:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day fcycles,

to PackardInfo. If you have a Packard, I invite you to include it in the Owner Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it.

Posted on: 2009/4/14 5:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
fcycles -

If you like Packards, I think it would make a very interesting conversation piece as fridge or tool box magnet - now that you now what it is.

Posted on: 2009/4/14 7:51
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

fcycles
See User information
I've always loved packards but still have yet to come across one in my price range, but i've got my eye out! People have made comments about the emblem before, it'll be nice to be able to say where its from now (although letting our imagination run thinking its from an actuall panther is a bit more fun.)

thanks for your replies!

Posted on: 2009/4/14 15:25
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved