Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
26 user(s) are online (18 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 26

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Glove box lock removal on 1936 senior car
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

series014
See User information
I was trying to remove the lock from the glove box door, but it looks like the sliding latch needs to be removed before the nut will pass over the lock. Does anyone know how this lock is removed from the glove box door? Thanks

Posted on: 2022/8/8 10:57
 Top  Print 

Re: Glove box lock removal on 1936 senior car
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have no idea what the 36 assy looks like or if anything is in the way to prevent the motion but other years have nuts that need to fit over hooks at various places. On those you need to slide the nut back and lift the nut up to work one side up into the hook open space and then sort of roll the other side of the nut back over the end then down and over the hook end to remove it.

If that does not seem workable maybe post a photo of what you are dealing with and someone will have a better idea.

Posted on: 2022/8/8 12:38
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

series014
See User information
The nut will not go past the latch mechanism. I have tried different combinations of lifting springs pushing in springs and also locked or unlocked the latch with the key, and been unsuccessful. I'll try to download pictures tomorrow. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Posted on: 2022/8/8 19:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
the sliding latch must be removed for the nut to clear. If my memory holds, as same in a 120, it is held in by a flat spring which must be released from the sliding latch, then the latch will slide out fully. I recall my Dad using a dental tool get up into the mechanism to release it. I haven't had the opportunity to do any myself lately.

Posted on: 2022/8/8 22:34
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

series014
See User information
After trying many different combinations with picks and key positions, I took the glovebox door to a lock shop who does work for the Packard Museum in Dayton Ohio.
After trying different things with the lock, they couldn't get it out of the glove box door either.
Anyone got any ideas who might know how it comes out?
Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  36 glove box latch.JPG (80.54 KB)
199646_62fd44c364115.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  36 glove box latchs.JPG (80.54 KB)
199646_62fd4cde12962.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/8/17 15:29
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Does the glovebox lock cylinder have any similarity to the look of the 37 door lock exterior cylinder as described in the article by J. Bushness that O_D reposted?

If there are no holes in the housing or latch bar that might be used to release some kind of internal spring or clip am wondering if there is possibly some kind of hidden screw inside behind the cylinder that is holding the back half of the lock in place. If the cylinder looks like it could be removed by a similiar procedure to the 37 door lock removal method it might be worth looking.

Posted on: 2022/8/17 16:16
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
Hi,

If memory serves, this is how I removed mine (please see picture).

Hope this helps,
Crin

Attach file:

png  latch.png (605.13 KB)
2652_62fd7b6833253.png 872X614 px

Posted on: 2022/8/17 18:36
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

series014
See User information
Thanks, but no sucess. I looked at the instructions for the 1937 door lock. Those worked great when I removed my 1941 door locks. The door lock on the glove box is a totally different animal. There is also a note at the bottom of the 1937 handle instructions that it won't work on the glove box lock (probably because there's no hole to stick pin into).
I tried (I think) every combination of pulling the spring up or down and locked and unlocked partially locked etc. Didn't work.
Somebody must have been able to remove them!
Any other ideas?

Posted on: 2022/8/18 10:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No other ideas here other than if Crin had success with his suggestion wonder if corrosion or dirt in yours could be messing with the release.

I know some of the old pot metal was not very stable and was prone to corrosion or could swell and expand enough that tight fits could seize. This has been noted on some of the old 20s and 30s window and door handles where no matter what they could not be removed from shafts without brute force and often times, damage. If your lock is made of the stuff wonder if that could be the issue with the tab not doing anything if pushed down.

Posted on: 2022/8/18 11:20
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
It looks to me like those two tabs are keeping the cap on. (There may be a third or more occluded from camera view)
Is that the way for the cap to separate from the sub assembly part?
If so, you can remove the top cap vertically then that should allow the feature below it to be removed (likely vertically), then you can unscrew the jam nut for final removal. They put it together somehow so it is just a matter of puzzling out the method and reversing. Use high power magnifiers and strong light source to examine every crack and crevasse, you'll spy an answer.

Posted on: 2022/8/18 13:56
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved