Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 130

Tobs, John Sauser, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Power Steering With Radial Tires
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Redhexagon
See User information
Hello, all.

The steering goes really stiff on my 1955 while I'm parking. It's as stiff as manual steering in that situation, like almost no power assist at all. Speeding up the engine above idle helps.

I'm sure my tires are not helping. I have P235/75-R15 radial tires on it. Their road contact patch is twice as wide and nearly twice as long as the original 8.00-15 bias ply tires. Surely, the Bendix power steering system was never designed to handle tires like that. My other classic cars (not Packards and not Bendix power ram systems) steer much easier on original size and style tires than they do on 75-series radials.

Am I asking too much of my power steering to pivot these fat tires, or should I start digging into my power steering system looking for problems such as low pump output? It's only a 65,000 mile car, so I don't think the pump should be worn out just yet...

Also, where are you all getting the filter that goes inside the power steering reservoir? I could splice an inline filter into the return hose, but I'd rather stay original.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2022/8/24 3:24
1955 Patrician.
 Top  Print   

Re: Power Steering With Radial Tires
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
You will have to search this for an updated part number

Attach file:

jpg  20220824_083914.jpg (132.70 KB)
4498_630646a74d1d2.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/8/24 10:41
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The NAPA number for the PS pump filter is FIL 1693.

Greater steering effort especially at stand-still is due to the larger tire patch on the road, several times the OEM tire. The PS system wasn't designed to cope with that. Higher inflation pressures will help a little.

Posted on: 2022/8/24 11:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
You are not asking too much. Even with fat, cheap Walmart tires all the PS cars that come through here steer adequately. As far as that goes my 53 with manual steering has 235s on it and is not remotely onerous to park.

I run 35 psi in the fronts and 32 in the rears.

Posted on: 2022/8/24 11:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
You did check your power steering fluid level, I assume.

P235's on a 55 400 I'm able to steer easily 1-handed on a garage floor while not moving. Don't remember the R## but they were only at 24PSI, if that. Power steering was repaired around 5 years ago, from being leaky.

Posted on: 2022/9/13 16:40
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Redhexagon
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
You did check your power steering fluid level, I assume.

P235's on a 55 400 I'm able to steer easily 1-handed on a garage floor while not moving. Don't remember the R## but they were only at 24PSI, if that. Power steering was repaired around 5 years ago, from being leaky.
What was repaired? The pump?

My system drips a little from the control valve and ram cylinder, both of which are fairly new. I think leaks are just a part of life with this style of system. The fluid level is definitely fine. I have flushed, refilled, and replaced the filter. The hoses are all new. It's possible the pump has low output or the ram piston seal is bypassing, but it's easier to believe that it's the tires.

Posted on: 2022/9/14 0:59
1955 Patrician.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Just as a reference, here's the power steering for 235/75R15 radials at 24 PSI, smooth garage floor, not moving, engine idling. Actually had a bit of a rough start as it was already warmed up.

Also don't have your speakers too loud, I brush the mic by accident towards the end.

Posted on: 2022/9/14 21:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Maybe a stupid question, but isn't turning the wheels without movement a bad practice? Certainly on non-assisted steering you avoid it.

Posted on: 2022/9/15 7:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Yes, but the steering should be able to handle it as sometimes you need to do it when parking.

Mainly it's bad for your tires but I'm replacing those anyway.

Posted on: 2022/9/15 9:54
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Redhexagon
See User information
I watched the video and there is no way you could do that with my car. It's not even close to one-finger steering while sitting still. It's not even one-hand steering unless you are very strong. Parking my car is two hands, over-under.

Sounds like I have a problem that isn't the tires and I get to tear apart my steering system now. Oh, joy...

Posted on: 2022/9/17 1:23
1955 Patrician.
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved