Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 206

Paul E. Gallagher, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Industrial or marine ?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

packpower
See User information
Were there ever any industrial or marine ( boat ) uses for the Packard V8 engine, or was it only used in cars ?

Posted on: 2007/7/2 14:18
 Top  Print   

Re: Industrial or marine ?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I know that some boat manufactures used Packard V8 engines. But I am not sure if they were built different from Packard for them.

One of the V8 guys on here with far more knowledge than myself should be able to provide you better information.

Posted on: 2007/7/2 15:24
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
This was discussed in a couple forums past, but not much headway was made - except to note that a marine conversion was done on some Packard V8 engines by the Stokes Marine Co. of Michigan, which found their way into some Chris Craft boats.

One of our members has a 320-cid version of the Packard V8 that was designed for use in Hash cars, but had been used to run an irrigation pump, IIRC. I cannot tell you however, if it was offered as a bona fide industrial application, however. It now powers a '56 Patrician that he uses for daily transportation - until the hi-performance 374-cid mill he's working on is ready to go.

Meanwhile, somwhere out west, a fella is installing a highly modified Packard V8 in a Chevy Vega for a run on the Bonneville Salt Flats.

The V8 Legend Lives On...

Posted on: 2007/7/2 15:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Brian, you're partially right about me. The engine in my Patrician is out of a '55 Hudson, and one of my spare V8's is a 320, also a Hash engine, that was used as an irrigation engine. And the irrigation engine suffered extreme valve recession due to the fact it was run on propane. It is NOT, however, an "original" industrial engine. As of today, I presently own 2 320's and 2 374's. Only ONE runs! LOL!

Posted on: 2007/7/2 17:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Stokes Marine (and no doubt others) bought surplus Packard V8 engines (J.C. Whitney had them available new in crates for years) and marinized them themselves, thus they were unlike the IM-356 and IM-245 Packard marine engines which were built for marine use by Packard. A Stokes version Packard V8 marine engine is on display, at the Packard Proving Grounds I believe, along with several true Packard marine engines based on the 245 and 356 engines. In addition to being available with a variety of gear reductions via hydraulic gear boxes, the Packard IM-245 and IM-356 engines were also available in counter-rotating pairs which makes for some interesting internal changes, and also available in several different voltages. They also used updraft carburetion. Bob Neil's two books have a very considerable amount of information on the various Packard-built marine and aircraft engines.

Posted on: 2007/7/2 22:07
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

packpower
See User information
Thank you very much, BigKev, BH, Turbopackman, Owen_Dyneto for all of that detailed info.

Posted on: 2007/7/3 12:24
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Matt
See User information
Hello,

I just found this forum and am hoping y'all can help me identify this Packard motor.

It came with a Chris Craft project I bought - the previous owner was planning on repowering the boat with this Packard Stokes marine conversion.

I know nothing about these motors and am not planning on using it in this boat. I am curious as to its origins (specs, year, etc.) as I know nothing more than that it is a Packard V8 with a Stokes marine conversion.

I can post more photos as needed.

Any input would be much appreciated.

thanks,
matt

Attach file:

jpg  (28.84 KB)
361_4717f73b8c241.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (40.62 KB)
361_4717f78e9dbcf.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2007/10/18 19:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
It looks like a 352" Packard V8 which Studebaker sold as surplus through the late '50s. Stokes Marine sold many conversions. Internally, it is the same as all Packard 352" engines. The usual Egge, Kanter, Packard International, Max Merritt sources have all the hard parts, albiet at a price.

If you are interested, I have two completely rebuilt 352" V8s on the test stand ready for purchase. Contact me off list at PackardV8@comcast.net

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2007/10/19 19:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved