Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 120

Joe Krzan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Re: Having trouble starting my 400...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
You don’t use teflon anywhere. Flare fittings and brass NPT fittings do not need it. The flare fittings seal on the flare seat (not on the thread) and the NPT are self-sealing by being tapered.

Posted on: 2022/11/17 19:54
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I was planning to redo what I did yesterday anyway but holy guacamole...

- Carb fitting too loose
- Fuel filter installed backwards (I installed it the way the fittings were on out of the box, but I should have noticed they were reversed as I replaced the rubber seal in the pump...)
- Fuel line was cross threaded but also only screwed on by like 1 thread

So this reminds me why I'm an electrician by trade and not a plumber

So obviously all that is fixed now, all the Teflon tape is gone but I did use TFE compound I had lying around sparingly on all the connections except the fuel line itself. Won't hurt to use some even though likely nothing needs it.

So this is how it looks now.

Attach file:

jpg  20221118_164923.jpg (259.93 KB)
225076_63780cc236fdf.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/11/18 17:52
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I don’t know about TFE but many sealing methods are not compatible with gasoline and especially not if it contains ethanol. In any event, these fittings should always be assembled clean and dry and putting sealer on a flare fitting makes no sense at all as the threads do no sealing whatsoever.

As for cross-threading (and not being a plumber), with any threads whether plumbing or not, the rule is to always turn together several threads (turns) before using a wrench on it.

I’m surprised I didn’t notice that the filter was backwards! I guess I was focusing on the teflon too much.

Also, you had asked about the copper washer. It should be a close fit to the threads so as to maximize contact as it’s the only seal there. Carburetor rebuild kits often come with a fiber washer which also works well.

Posted on: 2022/11/18 19:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Yeah I only put it on the thread sealing fittings, not the flare fitting for the line. Realistically it probably got forced out of all the connections because I tightened everything down pretty good.

Posted on: 2022/11/18 20:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes and that’s exactly why to do it dry! It might work itself into the jets of the carburetor and plug them. I would take it apart and clean it all out as it should not be there.

Posted on: 2022/11/18 20:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Hmm yeah I think I'll do that

High tomorrow is 32 🥶

Posted on: 2022/11/18 21:42
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
32f! I wish we were that warm tomorrow!

Posted on: 2022/11/18 21:49
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
So I got everything hooked together but it's leaking from the glass bowl. Obviously it's not tightened down enough but how much should it be tightened? I don't want to break the glass. Just tighten until it stops leaking?

Previous to that I stripped the 90 degree fitting pretty bad on the line side, I ordered a new one but in the meantime I was able to repair it with help from filing and taking the fuel line off my Clipper so I could align + thread things properly on the bench. It's a flare fitting so the goofed threads won't hurt anything, guess I'll have a spare.

Then of course my car cover blew off (my own fault for not clipping it down like I usually do, it's needed in 13+mph winds of today) and it got wet + dirty plus it's below freezing so I need to hopefully have the sun and high of 36 tomorrow at least melt the ice off my car so I can put a cover back on (I do have a spare, at least, but a tad small). If not tomorrow, Friday it's getting pretty warm (45) so that should be enough. With no precip the next two days, nothing else of annoyance should compound this issue (knock on wood).

Plus the last time I took it around the block I noticed a bit of pinging (pretty quiet, only noticeable when stopped) so I got some 93 in my Jerry can to boost the octane in the tank by a couple points but as we all know, you can't use the new style of gas cans without spilling gas on your hands so even after washing a few times I'm still smelling fumes writing this out. Yes it's a small annoyance by comparison, but also feels so needless.

Just a few frustrating events right in a row.

P.S. And I did clean the TFE paste of the fittings...

Posted on: 2022/11/30 17:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Filter should not need more than a small amount of tension on the glass bowl screw but if it still has the original type cork gasket that could have hardened and taken a set. If you did not change the gasket and when doing so take care to scrape any of the old cork that might have stuck to the casting off then it may be the old gasket cannot compress and even with more tightening it may not completely stop seeping.

Max has new gaskets for the original type filters.

Posted on: 2022/11/30 19:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Thanks, Howard.
It came with a new rubber gasket, which I installed.

Posted on: 2022/11/30 19:04
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved