Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 141

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Interior upholstery
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Icarus
See User information
Hello everyone! For my 1948 Packard project, there's a few outstanding issues that I haven't sorted solutions for, and they're all with the interior!

Are there any shops or companies that make reproduction door cards and interior trim? My vehicle is missing the door kick plates, and the front door cards need replacing. With time, I'm certain I could learn to make them myself, but that would be a long time away.

And, if there are no companies that make new interior trim, has anyone found suitable replacement materials? Wool, leather, etc. that's similar to stock for the old 22nd series?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 2022/11/29 17:39
-1948 Packard Super Deluxe Eight LWB
 Top  Print   

Re: Interior upholstery
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If a heat embossed panel or one that uses the heat applied chrome strip like tape, the only place I know that could come close to making the original patterned door panel with correct upholstery would be SMS in Oregon but as I understand it, there is a backlog and long wait for this service.https://smsautofabrics.com You would probably need to send the old ones to match too and there would be a difficulty in doing just one as even if the fabric is NOS it is doubtful a new panel would look the same as those that are 70 years old.

If SMS has any NOS or can supply anything near the correct upholstery fabric almost any decent upholstery shop can make a sewn panel -- both door and kickspace but again, you would need to do all of them to have things match.

Posted on: 2022/11/29 18:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
there are different trim panel coverings and trim for different models. I don't recall any being beyond the skills of a good upholstery shop. If yours uses the stainless "hoop", of course you'll need to locate those.

I recall locating an excellent match to the vinyl used on the lower part of the door cards at an upholstery shop. it was a "wiped' or "Spanish" grain imprint, brown with black grain, but smooth surface

Posted on: 2022/11/29 18:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Can you send pics of what you have? I don't think the fabric in those years is anything too special but you will need the trim that goes on the door panels.

If you want some you better order quick as SMS has a 1+ year lead time on door cards.

Posted on: 2022/11/29 20:13
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

tabletennissport
See User information
Have to warn you. SMS do a good job but they took 3 years to remake my upholstery fabric!

Posted on: 2022/11/29 21:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Read up on SMS's Facebook page. Comment after comment on people waiting for door cards and seat covers going on 3 years. When the work does get done it's great. But the wait time and communication aren't great.

However on other items they seem to do better. They did my headliner and got it out to me within a few weeks. Fit was perfect and the material was dead on.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2022/11/29 22:15
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Icarus
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
Read up on SMS's Facebook page. Comment after comment on people waiting for door cards and seat covers going on 3 years. When the work does get done it's great. But the wait time and communication aren't great.

However on other items they seem to do better. They did my headliner and got it out to me within a few weeks. Fit was perfect and the material was dead on.

-Kevin

Awesome. I'll give them a ring for my headliner then. the one that's in the car is totally shot, I'm holding it up with zipties right now.

[Quote].
Can you send pics of what you have? I don't think the fabric in those years is anything too special but you will need the trim that goes on the door panels.

If you want some you better order quick as SMS has a 1+ year lead time on door cards. [/quote]

I'll take pics when the car gets here. It's 1300 miles away from me right now, I don't have a camera pole that long! I figured the fabric wasn't too special, but I have no experience with automotive fabric work; Marine and auto are totally different ballgames.

Thanks for the replies! The information is much appreciated.

Posted on: 2022/11/30 0:23
-1948 Packard Super Deluxe Eight LWB
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If your trim plate has the trim code, you can find out what materials were used in the parts list and try to source them. Unfortunately, some of those codes were note punched but printed on. You can back trace if there's material left, that's what I had to do. Even if there's a code, take a swatch and launder it, and send to SMS.
I was able to locate the correct materials for my 23 but got them from SMS - pre-epidemic. SMS has improved a bit lately, but don't know how long the door panels take now. Call them. They stopped taking door panel orders during the epidemic, but have resumed but expect might be some pent up demand.
I'm of the opinion that these series cars are not that valuable and being entirely "correct" doesn't enhance the value but adds significantly to the cost. All depends what you're trying to accomplish with this vehicle and it's condition, how to proceed. It's not a muscle car or trifive that you can buy a complete car in parts.
ps: SMS is now about the only OEM material supplier. They bought the inventory from LaBaron-Bonney when they went bankrupt. That caused a supply issue, as they didn't have the space and manpower to catalogue it. They still use their antiquated system.
All that's out there now are modern auto fabrics and suppliers. Hirsch is still offering period broad clothes that are made in the UK. Leather is available from several.

Posted on: 2022/11/30 9:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
You may be overthinking this. I had a 22nd series 8 with original interior and the doors were done in a plain napped tan cloth, with a lower kick pad section in the aforementioned vinyl. It was not an unusual fabric. The Eight Deluxe used I believe the same material, with a different trimming pattern. Have you checked with Hirsch?

Now Custom 8 shadowcloth is another matter.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0580.JPG (265.85 KB)
1020_638789a8f35d9.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/11/30 11:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved