Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 208

todd landis, Phat Jonny, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: HELP! car dies when hot.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Chiefdan
See User information
Quote:

29tons wrote:
Just wondering if your fuel pump has the factory heat shield if the fuel gets to hot maybe its vapor locking
Yes, the car still has the original heat shield. Fuel bowl does not seem to get hot, you can lay your hand on it anytime.

Posted on: 2023/4/6 8:00
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Does it only do it when driving, or does it do it if you let it idle up to hot?

If only when driving, there is some debis that is clogging the pickup that is stirred up when driving.

I battled this for awhile and finally had to have the tank "Renu'd".

I could run it for hours in the garage, but drive it a couple of blocks and it would die.

After the tank was professionally cleaned and coated, the problem was gone.

There are also some reports of people cleaning tanks themselves and using "pour-in" sealers. Later on the sealer starts to peal off and clog the pickup.

Perhaps a good test is to run in off a temporary gas can/fuel cell placed and strapped down in the trunk and take it for a drive. If it all works ok, then the problem is in the tank.

Make sure what ever gas can or fuel cell you use is vented.

Posted on: 2023/4/6 8:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
There are supposed to be phenolic or a similar insulating material and there should also be washers of the same material under the steel washers on the bolts.

Posted on: 2023/4/6 11:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
They’re supposed to be phenolic or a similar insulating material and there should also be washers of the same material under the steel washers on the bolts.

Good advice, Don. Also, some insulating sleeves to fit in the pump's mounting bolt holes. The phenolic spacer, sleeves and washers comprised the insulating kit. This with a heat shield served to keep heat away from the pump. Vapor locking primarily occurs in the unpressurized part of the fuel system.

Posted on: 2023/4/6 12:56
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
For some reason, the pumps were originally held in using bolts with drilled-through heads so that they could be secured with wire through the holes. I guess with the phenolic washers that would break if tightened to much, this was found to be the best way to secure them. Today with the little usage that most of our cars get, that’s probably overkill.

Posted on: 2023/4/6 13:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Here is what the phenolic spacers look like. Mine came from Max Merritt, and they were too long. After trimming they fit fine. As Don and JWL said there needs to be a spacer between the fuel pump and the engine block, but the mounting bolts also need the phenolic spacers to prevent heat transfer through them.

As a side note, my fuel bowl would not be full much of the time. That has since changed, as it stays nearly full all the time now. But before the fuel would gush in spurts. The car still ran fine even when warm. I think it may have been due to a small leak or two (at either end of the main hard line....connection to the tank and connection to the flex hose) that was causing the pump to have less-than-ideal suction. I ended up putting fuel-safe pipe dope on those threads and that has solved the issue.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  1059_5fb42948e15f5.jpg (69.43 KB)
1059_642f0d390a1c9.jpg 576X1024 px

Posted on: 2023/4/6 13:19
 Top  Print   

UPDATE!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Chiefdan
See User information
Today I had some time to tear into things on the Packard. I rigged a fitting to adapt my vacuum gauge to the rubber inlet hose on the fuel pump. Then put on a lawnmower gas tank to gravity feed into the carburetor.
I came up with 5# of vacuum at the fuel pump inlet at an idle. Decided that the fuel pump was OK so put everything back together. It ran fine!
The only thing I did as suggested was tighten the steel line fitting to the rubber fuel pump hose harder. Viola, The glass bowl on the filter stays full and I put 50 miles on the car today with no problems. Thanks so much to the guys who contributed information. Dan

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_4250.JPG (259.35 KB)
225857_6430995a68263.jpg 1920X1138 px

Posted on: 2023/4/7 17:30
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Re: UPDATE!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Glad you found the problem and that's a very nice looking car! I've always liked the 200 (and later Clipper) roof line.

Posted on: 2023/4/7 17:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

Chiefdan wrote:
Today I had some time to tear into things on the Packard. I rigged a fitting to adapt my vacuum gauge to the rubber inlet hose on the fuel pump. Then put on a lawnmower gas tank to gravity feed into the carburetor.
I came up with 5# of vacuum at the fuel pump inlet at an idle. Decided that the fuel pump was OK so put everything back together. It ran fine!
The only thing I did as suggested was tighten the steel line fitting to the rubber fuel pump hose harder. Viola, The glass bowl on the filter stays full and I put 50 miles on the car today with no problems. Thanks so much to the guys who contributed information. Dan

Great to hear. Hopefully it continues to run well. If you find that connection leaking again (you'll see a small bit of gas around it) then I suggest using a fuel safe thread sealant. Don't use teflon tape. The sealant I used worked like a dream.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/4/7 22:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
So in the end it was a leaky line that was allowing air in the system? This was on the suction side of the fuel pump? Still no fuel issues since?

Posted on: 2023/4/16 10:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved