Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 172

Packard Don, Guscha, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Oil Leaks
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Talk to me about oil leaks! I have a 53 Cavalier that I'm slowly getting sorted after it has sat for a long time. It has some oil leaks which I want to get sorted at some point as well.

My question is, should I expect it to always leak a bit of oil, or if seals are all good it could be leak free?

Attach file:

jpg  oil-leak.jpg (122.11 KB)
226104_6430345fa5c25.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2023/4/7 10:18
 Top  Print 

Re: Oil Leaks
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
1954 Panama here. I'm leaking from the oil pan (new gasket) rear main, power steering in two locations, and at least one place on the transmission. It is a cornucopia of leaks.

Eventually I'll deal with them all. It's just not high on the priority list as I tackle other issues. I just throw some drip pans underneath and watch my fluid levels for now.

Yes you can get 100% leak free. My dad's '38 Super has zero leaks, but the engine has been rebuilt with every single seal being new. I don't plan on rebuilding my '54.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/4/7 10:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kevin's advice is good, so long as it's not brake fluid leaking. The brake system should be number one on your list to repair and restore. Then steering and suspension. No joy if you can't stop and steer safely.

Posted on: 2023/4/7 12:28
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
You may be able to get it leak free but it's a game of chance even with new seals, as sometimes the mating surface is too worn to be completely leak free again. I work for an industrial equipment manufacturer and we have this problem sometimes with customers equipment that they want rebuilt. Rubber seal against a rotating shaft can actually abrade a nice groove into it if debris gets stuck in, though this would be much more operation than these cars see, probably by a factor of 5 or 10.

IMHO if you're leaking a couple quarts per year or less, it's probably not worth tackling. Unless maybe if you can confirm it's all from one place.

Posted on: 2023/4/7 16:35
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
My Packard and my Audi are both great at redistributing their oil all over roads and parking lots. The cars are 50 years apart in age and seals still remain a problem. Doesn't bother me as much as it once did.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/4/7 22:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
If you have a metal spraying shop near you? They spray on metal then machine down to correct diameter

Posted on: 2023/4/8 3:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I had that done once in the '60 on a 1940 110 engine that had spun a rod bearing and it's still going strong today!

Posted on: 2023/4/8 3:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Alternately the more proper (but more expensive) way is to simply chrome plate that section of the piece to build up a hard metal surface, then machine down.

Posted on: 2023/4/8 9:27
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Another way is to install a precision sleeve over the worn surface. These sleeves come in a wide variety of sizes. A good bearing store will have a listing of the sleeves and what would fit your need. I used this method on the seal surface of the rear drums on my previously owned 47 Custom.

Posted on: 2023/4/8 12:05
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I found some photos of the sleeves and want to share them. I believe Federal Mogal also makes something similar. They come with an installation tool. I had to trim a small amount after the sleeves were installed. Hope this helps.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_0044.jpeg (59.39 KB)
565_6431a1a873c9c.jpeg 480X640 px

jpeg  IMG_0052.jpeg (33.15 KB)
565_6431a1b85191f.jpeg 480X640 px

jpeg  IMG_0053.jpeg (28.15 KB)
565_6431a1c9978a4.jpeg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2023/4/8 12:18
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved