Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
249 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 248

DavidPackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1956 Packard 400 Front End Rebuild
Just popping in
Just popping in

Chris Buzzelli
See User information
Hello, I'm looking to do some work on my '56. The car has about 61,000 miles and the steering is all lose in the front end. I've tightened up the worm gear in the steering box but still having play in the steering wheel. I got to looking underneath and can see some play in the steering stabilizer. I figure that the front end has never been touched so I might as well replace most of the parts and be done with it. Kanter has what looks like a good kit. Has anyone done this to their '55-'56? Thanks!

Posted on: 2023/4/22 15:07
 Top  Print   

Re: 1956 Packard 400 Front End Rebuild
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Do you mean the cylinder

Control valve is a pain to get out

Posted on: 2023/4/22 21:03
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 400 should have power steering. Are you checking for play with the engine off? If so, there will be movement in the control valve if the car has a Bendix power steering system or in the combination valve and power cylinder if a Monroe system. Play with engine off is the slight side to side valve movement and should disappear with everything tightening up once there is hydraulic pressure.

If the play is at the idler end attachment on the right frame rail or at the the power cylinder mounting on the left frame rail or at any place power cylinder or linkages attach together then that would be cause for investigating exactly what is happening.

Posted on: 2023/4/22 21:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I would NOT start taking things apart without determining exactly what is wrong. Any steering box adjustments should be made with a service manual at hand. Also, be sure that correct replacement parts are available for any replacements that may be necessary.

Most all steering systems will have play at the steering wheel unless the front wheels are pointed straight ahead. Check play on a power steering system with the engine running and the front wheels straight ahead.

May cars have a flexible coupling in the steering shaft. These couplings often develop play. Most steering shaft couplings are located between the firewall and the steering box.

Posted on: 2023/4/23 6:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
As noted above there is a lot of play when the engine is off as the control valve is not pressurized.

On those cars the kinpins and trunnions are not especially wear prone, you can check all that easily by jacking the lower control arms as close to their outer end as possible to take the stress off the joints.

At age 66 you are almost certain to need upper inner bushings and the lower inners will likely need replacing, though they do last much longer than the uppers. There are modern replacements noted in the interchange chart on site here.

Posted on: 2023/4/23 7:03
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Chris Buzzelli
See User information
Thanks for the reply. While underneath the car with the engine off, I had someone move the steering wheel from side to side. I was able to see the steering stabilizer move and it looked like the bushing for it was loose. Also, while going down the road, you have to pretty much constantly move the steering wheel quite while driving, more than you should it seems.

Posted on: 2023/4/23 15:27
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Chris Buzzelli
See User information
Hello, what are some ways to identify whether I have a Bendix or Monroe system? Thank you!

Posted on: 2023/4/23 15:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just two long hydraulic hoses = Monroe.

Two long and two short (underneath) hoses = Bendix.

Posted on: 2023/4/23 15:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here are pages from the parts manual showing the systems. Bendix has a control valve and power cylinder so two separate components, Monroe is a single integrated unit.

Bendix System

Monroe System

Posted on: 2023/4/23 15:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved