Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: nother overdrive question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
You should have always gone into freewheeling with the knob pushed in (lever to the rear). The freewheel portion of the tranny is strictly mechanical and not electrical. Did you fill the tranny with a straight mineral or ND motor oil? According to my manual you don't want a hypoid oil or one with any additives.

Posted on: 2009/5/7 4:52
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

fern51
See User information
put a bypass switch in place of governor in electrical circuit and still no overdrive.if the solenoid is hooked up backwards, would it still click when governor is grounded? or any other suggestions at this juncture would be appreciated.this is driving me nuts, good thing i aint got high blood pressure

Posted on: 2009/5/7 17:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With the two terminals, if the solenoid were hooked up wrong, as long as solenoid relaxed, nothing would happen as a set of contacts would be open. If solenoid stuck in out position, and contacts closed then fuse would blow.

At this point if you haven't done it already, I think it would be a good idea to remove solenoid and energize so you can watch to make sure stem is moving out the full amount and staying out. If it is, then I think you are looking at mechanical inside the unit--either something is not allowing the pawl to engage the sun gear when solenoid engages or something else is amiss.

Posted on: 2009/5/7 17:43
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved