Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 129

BigKev, Bob Supina, Mr.Pushbutton , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 288 Lifters Not Spinning
Home away from home
Home away from home

kunzea
See User information
About half of my lifters aren't spinning. Do I need to replace the lifters and cam? Can I replace them with the engine in the car? Does anyone have any links?

Posted on: 2023/5/1 12:02
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 288 Lifters Not Spinning
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

kunzea wrote:
About half of my lifters aren't spinning. Do I need to replace the lifters and cam? Can I replace them with the engine in the car? Does anyone have any links?

Here's a thread talking about lifters.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=15045&order=ASC&status=&mode=0

I'll be interested to hear responses, I have a noisy hydraulic lifter and thinking I may need to replace it.

Posted on: 2023/5/1 14:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information

Posted on: 2023/5/1 14:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
If they're not spinning, it could be that they have been expanded because the valves were stuck at one time, e.g.

Lifter stuck, barrel expanded

Posted on: 2023/5/1 16:28
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Most 288s would be solid lifters.

Posted on: 2023/5/1 18:39
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
My advice is to adjust the valves and keep driving the car long into the future. I hardly ever have a car here where all 16 are spinning and while not perhaps ideal, it doesn't seem to make one whit of difference.

Posted on: 2023/5/1 19:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I've had a number of older engines that have shown some lifters spinning and some not. Also pushrods on OHV engines. I never had any problems with them.

I would not put either new lifters or used lifters from another engine on a used cam.

If you remove any lifters from a used engine, keep track of where they go and put them back exactly where they were.

If the engine runs well with minimal valve train noise, it's probably best to leave it alone, unless an adjustment is clearly needed.

Valve lash adjustment on older engines can be complicated by wear on lifters and valve stems, which can make using a feeler gauge difficult.

In such cases, you may have to adjust by ear, which involves loosening each valve lifter adjustment and decreasing clearance just to the point of eliminating any noise, then backing off another fraction and locking the adjustment.

A little excess clearance is better than too little. Make adjustments hot as directed by the shop manual. Too little clearnce will burn valves.

Posted on: 2023/5/1 20:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Probably just the wear pattern that's developed over the miles and like Ross says, to paraphrase, don't amount to a hill of beans. In fact they might just be a bit lose, if they rotate. The oiling doesn't promote it nor the motion. It doesn't follow the coriolis effect either.
We used to joke about worn muffler bearings, maybe we need some lifter bearings here?

Posted on: 2023/5/2 20:55
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved