Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 123

humanpotatohybrid, pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Kingpin Removal, '37 120
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
How are the lock pins removed to take out the kingpins on a '37 120?

All the lock pins I've ever dealt with had a nut to secure them. These do not.

Are they to be driven out, and if so, in which direction?

The right hand kingpin is loose, and I can't tell if it is worn bushings or if the pin is loose in the knuckle.

Posted on: 2023/6/17 12:01
 Top  Print   

Re: Kingpin Removal, '37 120
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The pin is tapered. Drive out from the smaller end.

Posted on: 2023/6/17 12:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
A couple years ago I did this write up on my 115c's front end. Might be helpful.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=218338&keywords=tsherry

I just did my '40 110 using pretty much the same process.

Posted on: 2023/6/17 20:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Also, be careful when driving them out. It may be that they drive out in opposite directions for each side.

Posted on: 2023/6/18 7:51
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Did any 120s have needle bearings in the kingpins instead of bushings? I have some assorted used parts and what may be part of a new set of kingpins, or maybe they're outer lower control arm parts. There are two needle bearings among one set of parts. The pins or shafts are very similar to the kingpins, and the same diameter and length, though not identical.

The locking pins have a very slight taper, if any, and three grooves cut lengthwise on them. I don't see, looking at them, how they'd be very secure.

Other lock pins I've encountered have a distinct flat taper on one side and a threaded projection on one end with a nut to hold them tight once driven into place.

Posted on: 2023/6/18 20:35
 Top  Print   

Re: Kingpin Removal,
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I only needed to replace one side on my 37 so I am able to take an image of the other complete kit. As you can see, the 120 at least used bushings along with a load bearing at the top. The one bushing needs to be aligned with the grease fitting, and both need to be reamed for fit after inserting. The pin is just a taper that locks into the notch on the king pin shaft mortise and tenon style. Drives in smooth and there are no stresses that cause it to shake out. The originals in my car were the same and after 85 years plenty tight to remove.
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  King Pin Kit.JPG (170.97 KB)
225215_64905ac23c5d8.jpg 1920X1117 px

Posted on: 2023/6/19 8:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
That's very similar to what I have. I have a pair of pins, 4 bushings, some thin spacer washers, 2 thrust bearings, and a couple of lock pins and the plugs. The pins have 3 grooves with raised edges cut into them, I suppose to make them stay put once driven in.

Would it be possible to hone the bushings to fit on a Sunnen machine?

I think the other pins and needle bearings I have may be for the outer lower control arm shaft/pivot.

Posted on: 2023/6/19 10:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Honing of bushings is in general not a recommended procedure as it tends of plug the open the pores of the bushing with hone debris and therefore inhibit good lubrication.

The thin washers are to establish the preload on the thrust bearing.

I don't believe the 120s ever used needle bearings for the kingpins, but some other years and models of Packard did use Torrington needle bearings.

Properly installed, the tapered locking pins will be extremely secure, I can't recall ever hearing in 60 years in the hobby of one ever coming loose.

Posted on: 2023/6/19 12:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Just a note: There are no pores on these style bushings. There is an elliptical groove cut into the bore to channel the grease completely around the shaft. It is much deeper than the tiny amount that the reamer needs to remove for a running sliding fit. The bushings are made from solid bronze.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/6/19 13:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
These look like plain bronze.

I guess I need to find an adjustable reamer. I used to have one, but I haven't seen it in years.

Posted on: 2023/6/19 13:31
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved