Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 196

JWL, Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Cut front springs
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Wheelhorse76
See User information
I replaced the front coils on my '49 ..... just saying I really hate when someone ruins things . I was really just upset someone did this . But looks like the set of springs that was sacrificed was not Packard springs . Here's what I took out compared to put back . The service manual on replacing them by unbolting the lower from the frame was really easy and flawless !!! Didn't even take the front tires off . So to anyone doing this job that's the only way to go ...

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_0566.jpeg (572.03 KB)
224913_649098debda37.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/6/19 13:05
 Top  Print   

Re: Cut front springs
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I've never seen a car or truck that looked or functioned better "slammed".
Even a '49 Merc with fuzzy dice, a DeSoto grille, and dual police whip antennae needs a few inches between the road and the frame.

Posted on: 2023/6/19 13:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

TxGoat wrote:
I've never seen a car or truck that looked or functioned better "slammed".
Even a '49 Merc with fuzzy dice, a DeSoto grille, and dual police whip antennae needs a few inches between the road and the frame.

Agreed. I don't know the current spec or if the program is still in effect but some years ago it got so bad locally modified cars were hitting road debris or getting hung up on speed bumps placed on some residential streets. Police started carrying a common object in the trunk of the patrol cars that had to be able to be upright and fit anywhere under the car. No fit and the car was not legal so it was an automatic tow and impound. Didn't take long for the word to get around. Think at the time it was a common coke can or something around that size but with virtually no rebound space can not imagine the ride being all that great.

Posted on: 2023/6/19 14:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
...and all the sidewalls are a half inch thick. (I am so old!!)
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/6/19 14:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Those no-sidewall tires are just silly on anything but a show car or maybe something that runs on a very smooth racetrack.

I see them on pickup trucks once in a while.

One good thing about them:
They keep the clowns off the dirt roads.

I'm all for style, as long as function is respected to a reasonable degree.

Posted on: 2023/6/19 15:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I guess your "hate" will be endless, if this bothers you.
What goes around comes around. '50s was lowered, we used to jack up the front end in the '60s, gasser look, and it's back around here. They even sold twist ins on JCWhitney to raise the coil half inch per so you didn't have to change the springs.
First one does it, then someone else has to out do them and off to the races. Eventually someone goes off the rails and it cools. Some of these clueless guys are damaging the front suspension and have to be ruining tires frequently. My tire store guy lets them get away with it and the rice burner tilted tires with no fender clearance.
At least the "clown rims" have cooled down now. The ride isn't too with 26's.
It rings the cash register, if you're self employed. Find a niche and fill it.

Posted on: 2023/6/19 21:34
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Wheelhorse76
See User information
Guess it's not really "hate" just disappointing I'd put it better .

Posted on: 2023/6/20 9:03
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved