Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 137

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Spotted on FB - 1952 Packard 200 turned into a truck
Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
I've seen Packards before that had been converted into pickup trucks, but this one is different. The builder took exterior body panels from a 1952 200 and somehow grafted them onto a 2000 GMC Sonoma. This is one strange looking vehicle and from the photos, I really wonder how well engineered this thing is. Would you pay $3,500 for this? For those unfamiliar with GM trucks of this era, the GMC Sonoma was a compact truck sold from 1982-2005. The Chevy S-10 was its corporate twin. Here is a picture of a stock GMC Sonoma of about the same vintage as the one used to build the Packard truck.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/961898165059087/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post

Attach file:

jpg  2001_GMC_Sonoma.jpg (92.65 KB)
225503_649b0215b7574.jpg 675X900 px

Posted on: 2023/6/27 10:27
 Top  Print   

Re: Spotted on FB - 1952 Packard 200 turned into a truck
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I suppose you would have an easier time finding parts for the GM base vehicle but I don't think his effort is all that good looking. The all Packard creations made by Ross look so much better. No, I would not pay that kind of money. Workmanship is a big question too.

Before he retired, one of my friends had a business using the S-10 pickups of that era and the related enclosed SUV type companion model as the starting vehicles for handicapped and contract rural postal delivery conversions. For the handicap conversion he would add a large round plate with a chain drive over to the steering column so steering could be done by foot control. For the postal delivery, dash was redone so another steering wheel could be added on the right and sometimes foot control on the right as well. I was surprised by just how thin and with the weight reducing cutouts, so lacking in structure the inner sheetmetal supports are in those models. Since he was always adding, revising or reinforcing what was there in order to do his conversions I asked why not use something else as a base vehicle. It is a reasonably priced and popular vehicle with readily available and inexpensive parts and extra metal didn't cost much if some more was needed was the answer.

The point is unless the guy did lots of reinforcements to the pickup the idea of hanging something as heavy as a Packard fender off that thin metal kind of makes me wonder how well it will stay on. A fender falling off is almost as scary an experience as a California guy riding in a bus doing at least 70 on some freeway coming in from the Chicago airport and being passed by a car so rusted out the airflow was making a loose front fender flop up and down a good foot or so.

Posted on: 2023/6/27 11:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Beauty is the eye of the beer-holder.

Posted on: 2023/6/27 16:40
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Truly a strange build. Objectively speaking, it definitely looks worse than the other packups I've seen (including ones I'm fairly certain weren't Ross creations) yet there is a weird bit of charm to it. Not something I'd want to maintain or drive down the highway, but it would fit right in at a rat rod competition.

A "good machine to take to nationals" with "4wd".

Attach file:

jpg  Screenshot_20230627_181650.jpg (165.33 KB)
225076_649b6016088f8.jpg 1439X1074 px

Posted on: 2023/6/27 17:15
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved