Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 207

Charles, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 359 Noisy Lifters
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Something that is (surprisingly) simple to do and may shed light on the situation is to run the engine with the valve covers off (no worries, it doesn't make a mess!) and then listen to the lifters via a stethoscope. I found to really figure out which one(s) (though admittedly this is difficult and by no means foolproof) one does best if one puts the stethoscope directly on the plunger/lifter, noting that it moves up and down a bit.

Ross has another video where he shows adjusting the valves for an engine without hydraulic valve lifters which gives one an idea what it's like to run the engine that way.

Speedwell Garage - adjusting solid-lifter valves on a postwar straight-8

Posted on: 2023/7/4 10:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
If you have no stethoscope us shade tree guys use a piece of heater hose.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/7/4 10:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I just watched the video. Fantastic!
I have not set the valves yet so this was just what I needed. Wonderful resource.
Thanks so much,
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/7/4 10:56
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The easied way to check for flow issues is to temporary cap off the line to oil filter. This will first force 100% of the oil to the lifters. Also verify the 4-way fitting is in the right orientation so the outlet to the lifters isn't the port with the restrictor on it.

If you've verified that the restricted port (if present) is on the filter side and you'll capped off the oil filter feed and you still have lifter clatter then you know it's a filter issue vs a pressure issue.

Posted on: 2023/7/4 13:51
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Wat bought a stethoscope several years ago from the Bezoses and remember it being under $20 'Murrikan. Delivered.

Posted on: 2023/7/4 20:09
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Eric Voigt
See User information
By passed the filter and installed a 90 and plumbed up.

Got the flywheel repaired and installed and now once the starter gets here, will be able to fire it up and see how it does.

Side note, still trying to sort out the cylinder head and it appears to be from 51 288AT engine. Trying to reach Ross however it appears he's still on the road from the national meet.

Eric

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_3914.jpg (263.02 KB)
226290_64a6da7d0d21f.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/7/6 10:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
According to the chart, a 1951/52 288 AT head would give you a 9.10 CR, which is quite high.

Some folks have suggested using 2 head gaskets to drop down the CR.

Posted on: 2023/7/6 11:40
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Eric Voigt
See User information
The cylinder head is 73cc's and the compressed gasket thickness is .052 also, the deck is .008 positive (block was decked prior from what I could tell) which according the program I'm using nets compression at 10.17:1 which is WAY too high.

Need to find a cylinder head with higher CC volume after I get this oiling issue straightened out.

Posted on: 2023/7/6 12:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have a couple other cast iron heads available on my Packard / IMPERIAL page, one of which just came from a 359, that might be better choices.

Posted on: 2023/7/6 13:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Regardless of which head you ultimately pick, if you can locate one (chances slim to none) one of the extra thick export head gaskets would give some very slight relief. But just plain forget about using doubled headgaskets - quick failure pretty much guaranteed.

My own experience with a 359 goes back to the 1970s. I used a Dremel to get a little more volume in the head over the valves using a 327 head from a 1951, and in order to keep the ping down to a barely tolerable level ultimately had to retard the timing, rework the distributor centrifugal advance, and use super premium fuel.

Posted on: 2023/7/6 13:20
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved