Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 226

John Wogec, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Car hauling
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Have any of you used one of the dual axle U-Haul trailers to tow a Packard with? I'm sure it can handle the weight, but I'm wondering about the length. Looking at moving a 122" wheelbase 50's Packard. 4 door sedan.

I don't have access to someone with a trailer right now, and there aren't any good used ones for sale.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/7/6 17:03
 Top  Print   

Re: Car hauling
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might want to check with U-Haul and see if they have restrictions. I vaguely remember a post from a few years ago where someone wanted to do this and they would not allow a car the size of a Packard on their trailer. Don't remember the reason -- possibly weight or it could have been the size of the towing vehicle he was going to use but whatever the reason it was a big no-no.

Posted on: 2023/7/6 18:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
Agreed. U-Haul wouldn't rent me a trailer to haul our '37 home. Rented it from a local independent, no problem.

Posted on: 2023/7/6 19:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
Kevin,

I have towed all my cars at one point or another with their trailers, never an issue. They will want to discuss and require a specific size truck in their fleet depending on the weight of the vehicle. Never just rented the trailer, though I've thought about doing that.. maybe they won't allow for liability reasons. You have to look the rig over good (some worse than others).

PS - don't store sodas under the passenger seat as the exhaust must run underneath and it gets very hot, ask me how I found this out while towing the '48 in five lanes of rush hour traffic.

Mike

Posted on: 2023/7/6 19:59
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks everyone. I will check with U-haul to make sure, but when I look online and enter my tow vehicle, and the vehicle I'm towing (they have a Packard Patrician 51-54 listed there and that's close enough), and they say the combination will work. But I'll for sure need to check.

The other option is something like United Rentals, but I'm not sure how that works.

I hope not to rent a truck from U-Haul if I can avoid it. It'll be a long drive there and back, and I'd prefer my own vehicle.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/7/6 20:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
The more I think about it... I'm pretty sure I've seen U-Haul trailers being towed by personal vehicles. Maybe some branches will rent? I will say, on a couple trips I've had to call around to get answers etc. I've found the larger branches to be the most knowledgeable with a couple exceptions of mom-and-pop franchises going the extra mile for me.

I have rented a lot of equipment from United.. very easy to use. I was unaware they had car-haulers. There is Penske too. I'd avoid trying Budget, that call was a waste of my time. If you do have to rent a truck, be sure to rub some extra Saddle Soap in your wallet beforehand... VERY expensive since Covid.

Posted on: 2023/7/6 20:44
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Check with the highway patrol.

In CA. The idiots have a load tongue weight.

We towed a 56 exe. With a 1960 lark 8.
Wagon. In the 60s. Can't now.

Posted on: 2023/7/6 21:08
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
I rented a UHaul truck and trailer to bring my '55 Constellation home two years ago. The car fit on the trailer fine and the Ram 1500 Hemi pulled it without any problems up to 60mph. Any speed above that and the trailer became a bit squirrelly so the ride home was rather leisurely. I'd imagine that your Packard on their trailer pulled by a modern 1/2 ton (or larger) pickup would be acceptable to UHaul.

By the way, if you do rent a UHaul trailer, make sure the straps are in good condition before you head out. The ones that came with mine were OK but definitely near the end of their service life.

Posted on: 2023/7/6 23:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
My F100.
U haul would not let me tow my 56 parts car. With no engine and trans.

Posted on: 2023/7/7 4:54
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I have recall of having seen a U-Haul trailer behind a private vehicle recently with some older car or another on it. Maybe it depends on the store, or the clerk. Wat has been told some bull$#!t stories in his day.

If your trailer gets squirrelly at speed, like as not you don't have enough tongue weight. I had this happen hauling home the one engine/frame combo I bought, which I had to load backward. SOB wouldn't roll, so once it was on, it was there. Winched it as far forward as possible and is then rode a bit better.

I have also towed some stuff with rigs I wouldn't remotely consider today. That which does not kill you makes you . . . wiser.

Posted on: 2023/7/7 15:36
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved