Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 217

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

56 Patrician Issues
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tigeress1517
See User information
Hi Brain Trust,

I got my Patrician up and running and took her out for her first outing, she did well. Came home, parked in the driveway, took the daily out for a bit, then came back to do a swap around and the Patrician wouldn't start. I have looked at the fuel its getting to the carbie, there is power getting to the coil, but the ballast resister is getting quite hot, which I think maybe is the issue, but wanted confirmation. Or if there is something else wrong, idk. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Posted on: 2023/7/16 3:36
Jazz

'56 Packard Patrician

1956 Packard Patrician
Perth, Australia
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 Patrician Issues
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Are you getting spark?.

Pull the coil wire.

Put it where you can see it. 1/8 inch from body. Turn engine over.
The spark should jump a 1\2 inch.

No spark check points.

Posted on: 2023/7/16 5:02
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I assume you were using fresh, high octane gas? The ballast resistor is supposed to get sort of hot. You may want to check how warm the carburetor is.

I'm assuming also you pumped the gas once or twice to reset the choke and prime it?

In that case I would check your spark as RH said, you can do it the old fashioned way but spark testers are only a few bucks and it's easier to use one while turning the key, if you don't have someone to help. Or just clean your points with emery paper and see if it fixes things.

Posted on: 2023/7/16 6:39
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the points were closed and key was on and turned to the right for a length of time, the resistor will get fairly warm but not hot enough to smoke. The points can also overheat and oxidize when in that condition and could be a source of spark issues. Another all too common issue on long sitting cars brought back to use is components such as the condenser inside the distributor can suddenly fail, usually by shorting. That would also cause no spark and a hot resistor.

Posted on: 2023/7/16 9:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
In addition to the above, the points may not be opening wide enough, or may not be opening at all. Points that have run a long time, or run on a dry distributor cam, may have a worn down rubbing block. As the block wears, the point gap shrinks and the points stay closed more of the time, which keeps current flowing through the resistor more of the time and may contribute to the points sticking or burning, since they never open as much as they should. I'd look carefully at the points and be sure they are in good condition, or better yet, replace them and the condenser and the resistor. Also be sure the distributor cam is in good condition and that the distributor shaft bushing is not worn.

It would also be a good idea to check the operation of the vacuum advance unit and the centrifugal advance mechanism.

Posted on: 2023/7/16 11:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Perhaps the resistor in the rotor burned out. This can happen suddenly. The best place for these resistor-rotors is in the trash bin. Replace with a non-resistor rotor.

Posted on: 2023/7/16 16:46
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tigeress1517
See User information
Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delay in replying!!!

It was in fact the rotor button that had caused the issue. I have ordered the part and it is ready to install.

Thanks for all your help.

Attach file:

jpg  375578833_684427070010490_6780473109376346242_n.jpg (156.44 KB)
225878_64f85aa3b59df.jpg 1284X762 px

Posted on: 2023/9/6 5:55
Jazz

'56 Packard Patrician

1956 Packard Patrician
Perth, Australia
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Tigress1517, I would not use a new resistor rotor. Replace it with the non-resistor type. These resistor rotors are problematic. Why invest in a future problem?

Posted on: 2023/9/6 11:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Those things have left me on the side of the road more than once. You want one from a 56 Pontiac. They have no resistor.

At the very least put a couple of dabs of epoxy on the resistor to keep the wretched thing from falling out.

Posted on: 2023/9/6 11:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Standard bought kem. Have to cross reference.

Attach file:

jpg  20230906_130939_(1).jpg (286.54 KB)
4498_64f8dd0d63702.jpg 1920X1697 px

Posted on: 2023/9/6 15:12
Riki
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved