Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
253 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 252

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Shift linkage 1940 160
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
Our 1940 160 occasionally locks up between 1st and 2nd gear when shifting. I have sprayed white lithium on all the pivot points I can see from the top. Is there a grease fitting somewhere not easily seen from above?

Posted on: 2023/7/25 13:48
 Top  Print   

Re: Shift linkage 1940 160
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No grease fittings according to the lubrication chart but other things can also be causing sticking or locking issues. Packard had quite a time with locking problems with prewar linkage even though revisions were made. Clipper based bodies still had some issues thru the 22 and 23 series.

You might have a look thru the many service articles of things to check. Once the page opens look at the gearshift, linkage, and lockup articles. Several have also found serious wear at the stubs at end of the shift rods where they insert into the bushings at various levers to be a significant issue.

There is one additional place you might try lubing. I believe a common lube issue Clipper and conventional linkage experience is the two levers at the bottom of the column and shift tube near the steering box. While they are differently shaped, I believe the prewar conventional body arragement was same in that the upper 2-3 lever had no provisions for any kind of lube. Water condensing on the shift tube could run down and that and dirt could get in the space between the lever and tube. Rust and corrosion in that space can cause the lever to stick or actually seize to the tube.

The two levers -- bottom 1-R and upper 2-3 must be absolutely free to independently rotate on the tube. If the upper 2-3 lever is sticking and turns while shifting into 1 or R, the geometry of that linkage can move the 2-3 transmission lever first and cause the interlock block in the transmission to lock out 1 or R.

Here is a photo showing the Clipper tube and levers. You might compare the basics to yours and see if there are similar places you can lubricate.

Attach file:

jpg  shift tube lube.jpg (34.17 KB)
209_64c020059b3c1.jpg 307X389 px

Posted on: 2023/7/25 14:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Excellent advise and once checking all that, look for looseness in the linkages or possibly linkages that are out of adjustment. The adjustment could be off just a bit to make still “think” it’s in one mode (1-R for example) when it is trying to go into the other.

Posted on: 2023/7/25 14:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
You want to minimize play where the linkage go through any holes, not only up and down but lateral play. I have used a combination of thin washers and thin wavy washers to take out lateral play. If any holes are elongated needs to be remedied. If you take apart make sure you check for any wear inside the three column shifter parts toward the bottom. Been many years since I have done this cannot remember all the correct names.
Also when I got these cars many years ago an old Packard man, made me understand you do not shift through in one stroke. Up, pause a split second, move to rear, and then up. Three motions, not trying to do one motion.

Posted on: 2023/7/25 15:38
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
Thanks to all, that is a big help, Tommy

Posted on: 2023/7/25 20:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
And then there is the knucklehead operating the thing. I seem to recall that Ross posted a video tutorial on how not to speed-shift an old three-on-the-tree shifter arrangement. Much as we'd like to straighten out that part of the H, don't do it. Just don't. Lift it out of 1st, push it across the crossbar, and then lift it into 2nd. Gently. Drag shifts are for the guys with Hursts.

Posted on: 2023/7/26 11:58
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I may have asked this question before.

Does anyone know why Packard went to the idler/relay arms and two sets of shifting rods?

I believe everyone else was using a simpler system of just two rods connected from the steering column arms to the transmission.

The Packard system seems overly complicated to me.

Second question, if I may. Has anyone tried to use the conventional system of just two shifting rods?

Posted on: 2023/7/26 12:24
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I can’t answer your questions specifically but remember that your 1940 is only the second year for column shifting for Packard but even so, the system did not change much between 1939 and 1954.

Posted on: 2023/7/26 12:52
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved