Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
185 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 181

Don B, Packard Don, ak, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Trunk Rack Swing Hinge Part Numbers
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I've been looking through the Parts List, and there doesn't appear to be enough description to ID these three parts. I need the part numbers to locate the blueprints for these parts.

Looking through some of the Service Letters, it appears the trunk and this bracket were part of a general tunk rack "assembly" part number.

If we can figure this out, it's possible we may be able to get a run of these made. I know most of them have disappeared long ago.

Attach file:

jpg  1_64d2b5ce05ca2.jpg (98.00 KB)
1_64d39ec4cc85e.jpg 800X1397 px

Posted on: 2023/8/9 9:13
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Trunk Rack Swing Hinge Part Numbers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As the junior an senior trunk racks and hardware are quite different, so I suspect the tilting trunk rack assembly is also different. Nevertheless you might contact Gunther Hoyt down in VA (contact info in the PAC directory), some years back he had parts made to install one on his 1937 Super 8 and may have gathered some info on the junior variant. Also not sure if his as installed on his senior is based on a factory accessory or some aftermarket kit.

A pix of his and one from the original patent attached.

Attach file:

jpg  Pg 11cr.jpg (108.27 KB)
177_64d3acf730a6e.jpg 2000X1247 px

jpg  37 trunk rack tilt hinge.jpg (140.34 KB)
177_64d3ad42884cb.jpg 1500X1109 px

jpg  37 trunk rack tilt hinge 2.jpg (137.24 KB)
177_64d3ae3fcabf9.jpg 1500X1125 px

Posted on: 2023/8/9 10:12
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dave, thanks. I've never seen the "tilt-back" mechanism in any factory documentation. So wonder if that was something he came up with or the idea was copied from a different manufacturer. But I can try to reach out to him.

Here is the info about it from a 1935 Service Letter.

Also, it is again described in the 1937 Accessories Brochure using the same picture.

Attach file:

jpg  ScreenShot 748.jpg (101.84 KB)
1_64d3b37d62697.jpg 1246X600 px

Posted on: 2023/8/9 10:41
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Doesn't look like there is any kind of spring assist. If the trunk was packed that must have been a fairly large weight to lift or to hold up and keep from dropping when laid down again.

Posted on: 2023/8/9 10:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The brace you see has a "T" on the lower end that fits between the bars in the rack. So it is just a stop to keep the trunk from flopping too far to the right. But I don't believe there was any positive lock to keep it from coming back the other way if not parked on level ground or a strong wind was blowing right to left. No spring assist. The bar on the other side of the luggage trunk (part C) acts as a spacer/foot, and accepts a threaded knob from the underside to lock it down in the closed position.

I'm sure the trunks were mostly for clothing and such, not gold bar transport. So not sure how heavy it would have been.

Posted on: 2023/8/9 11:12
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wonder if there is someway or somewhere to hide a gas spring or maybe torsion springs. Downside to springs is if there is no trunk weight, springs might be too strong and cause issues in closing or holding the plate while screwing it closed.

Posted on: 2023/8/9 11:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think that mostly the days, those trunks are pretty much empty and are just there as car shown pieces.

Not sure I would want an over loaded heavy trunk hanging out that far over the rear of car.

I really think the rack looks better folded up anyway as that is where are the shinny bits are.

Posted on: 2023/8/9 12:21
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Here’s the rest of the patent application. A lot of parts not yet talked about.

dp

Attach file:

pdf US2136157.pdf Size: 304.43 KB; Hits: 42

Posted on: 2023/8/9 12:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Loading heavier items to the right side of the trunk would minimize the weight to be lifted and help stabilize the trunk when in the raised position.

For routine use, the idea was probably that the trunk would be loaded last and unloaded first, assuming access was not needed to the spare tire.

Of course, people of means would have lodged at establishments that provided porters to deal with luggage.

Posted on: 2023/8/9 13:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Speaking of porters and luggage handling, it looks like you are almost locked into the Packard style trunk with individual cases inside

The way it appears to be almost a permanent mount, doubt an ordinary trunk with hanging clothes or open space under a tray would work because that kind of trunk would need to come inside. Not only would everything shuffle when tilted it would need unloading in the parking lot just to be able to reach the mounting bolts.

Posted on: 2023/8/9 14:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved