Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Hole with nothing in - other questions, too.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
I have several questions. I have attached photos to go with them.

1). I notice a hole just below the starter motor. Should there be something in it? If so, what?

2) Transmission - Per the photo, have I correctly identified the drain and fill plugs?

3) differential - per the photo, have I correctly identified the drain and fill plugs?

I know these may be basic questions, but this is all new to me. I’m learning! I truly appreciate all the help from everyone!

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_8069.jpeg (196.64 KB)
225755_64ee933d8555f.jpeg 1440X1920 px

jpeg  IMG_8073.jpeg (326.84 KB)
225755_64ee935096979.jpeg 1440X1920 px

jpeg  IMG_8084.jpeg (240.01 KB)
225755_64ee93664a700.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/8/29 19:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Hole with nothing in - other questions, too.
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Hole under the starter is used to set the timing on earlier models. The timing marks were on the flywheel.

Everything else you have marked is correct.

Posted on: 2023/8/29 20:12
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Thanks, Kevin.

So should there be a plug that get’s removed when setting the timing or just open all the time?

Posted on: 2023/8/29 20:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
They had a lightweight steel plug that was a friction fit in the hole. I imagine most of them are long gone. One of those expanding rubber type freeze plug replacements might be a good substitute.

There are various other types of hole plugs in many sizes. I'm not sure where to obtain them.

Posted on: 2023/8/29 20:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
The entire clutch and bell housing assembly on mine was packed with mouse house, the timing hole being an excellent access hole for the little buggers when left unused for 6 decades as mine was!
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/8/29 21:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Thanks, everyone. I was thinking about one of the expanding rubber freeze plugs.

I really don’t have any concerns with a mouse house. I’m pretty fortunate on that front. My dad always kept the car in his garage and they never had any issues with mice or evidence of them being there.

Posted on: 2023/8/30 8:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information

Posted on: 2023/8/30 9:24
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Thanks, Ken. I picked one of those up on my way home from work. I had to bend the tabs out just a bit, but it should work well.

Follow up question. See the photo below…I got a good picture of the pointer and timing marks.

I believe the TDC mark is the mark directly over the “P” in the photo. Is that right?

Then, is each tick mark 1 degree?

EDIT: I answered my own questions. I found the 10 degree mark. Clearly each tick mark is 2 degrees. That also confirms which mark is TDC.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_8087.jpeg (237.32 KB)
225755_64efc824e11a1.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/8/30 17:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I marked the vibration damper on my 115C with timing marks since the marks on the flywheel are difficult to see. I made a pointer out of heavy gauge wire and attached it to one of the timing chain cover bolts. I then carefully marked the damper. This made adjusting the timing much easier. Also, these distributors have an "Octane Adjustment" so the timing can be easily adjusted to accommodate the varying quality of gasoline used in those days. The procedure for doing this is in the owner manual.

Posted on: 2023/9/1 11:58
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Thanks, I had seen your posts on other threads. I will likely do the same. It will just be a while as I have many higher priority items to get to. I’ll deal with that after I get the car running.

Posted on: 2023/9/1 12:29
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved