Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 127

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel filter location
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

fourbybud
See User information
1940 Packard 120 8cyl
It had no fuel filter installed. I ordered a replica from Max Merrit. Assuming it goes just before the carburetor but not sure. Can anyone verify its correct location?
Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2023/9/2 18:53
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel filter location
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That’s where it was on all my 1940 110s but I don’t recall if it was attached straight out from the carburetor or angle 90 degrees toward the engine. I came across a photo a week or two ago with it 90 degrees but as I was traveling, I didn’t save it but it looked very familiar.

Posted on: 2023/9/2 19:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
My '37 120 has a filter bowl right at the Carter carburetor inlet. It looks like it's always been there.... no hose adapters or other modifications are evident. I believe it's a Carter unit. It has a ceramic filter.

Posted on: 2023/9/2 19:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
My '37 115c had a plastic inline filter between the pump and the carb, later replaced with a metal filter. The pump also had a glass bowl filter on the bottom which held a little bit of crud.

My '40 110 had the glass bowl type you mention attached to the carb, and the glass bowl beneath the pump as well. The carb glass bowl is a Carter product as well.

Posted on: 2023/9/2 22:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Haven't found any factory photos with the optional filter but did find a few showing the fuel line from pump to carb. From the way the tubing from pump is routed I believe the 40 filters might have been installed just like those on later engines.

On later engines the line was disconnected from the carb, the fitting where the tube connected was removed and a straight close nipple installed in its place. Filter out port was screwed to the nipple and the original tubing fitting was reinstalled at the filter in port. With a slight rebending of the tubing to accommodate the added length of the filter the tubing was then connected to the filter.

Posted on: 2023/9/2 22:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Here's the method that was used 'back in the day'.

Attach file:

jpg  DSCF1177.JPG (159.87 KB)
34287_64f40a4625d1d.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/9/2 23:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
That's pretty much the setup on my '37 at present.

Posted on: 2023/9/3 23:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved