Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 211

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Quasi YOM (Year of Manufacture) License Plates
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I have my set of YOM plates use a magnet on the backside, place them over the official plates at meets/shows and simply throw them back in their bag in the trunk upon leaving. I have another small magnet that I cap over the ignition key switch to remind me that the YOM tags are still on when I go to leave!
A good friend had his car involved in a movie shoot and since Canada does not exist to Hollywood, his car had California plates on for the scenes. He of course forgot they were there until washing the car a few weeks later!!
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/9/13 8:11
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Illinois has a pretty easy YOM plate law. They issue you a set of regular antique or "extended' antique plates, which you keep in the glovebox or trunk, and then you can put an original pair of YOM plates on the car. The YOM plate number is not registered to anything. On both of my cars, I bought sets from eBay and slapped them on the cars.

If I am ever pulled over, I must present the issued plates to the officer.

Pretty easy.

Not that I take the cars out on the Express Ways/Toll Roads, but I'm not sure how they would bill me for tolls as the YOM plates on the car are not registered back to anything.

But the Antique (cheapest and most restricted) or Extended Antique plates are only for cars pretty much driven to car shows and for limited use. So, not for daily drivers.

Posted on: 2023/9/13 8:47
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
In Washington, if you are driving a classic you can register it as an antique with YOM WA plates. Registered this way is a one-time thing.....I never need to register my car again.

My dad had a set of 1938 plates that I am going to use to register his car as an antique. Currently it is using modern WA plates and it just doesn't look right.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/9/13 10:11
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

pmhowe
See User information
Wouldn't the beginning digit 6 give it away as not correct for that year?

Posted on: 2023/9/14 20:09
Phil
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I don’t think the point is it being correct. It is just that it resembles a YOM plate without having to change the registration and pay the extra YOM fees.

Posted on: 2023/9/14 23:52
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved