Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
257 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 254

BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Linkage lube
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
I am using wd 40 on the OD linkages, I’m not fond of all the grease being all over the external mechanical parts , to me it’s easier to spray on a lighter lubricant more frequent than smearing a lot of grease on the parts.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_4716.jpeg (766.39 KB)
226376_6508fa2d5985d.jpeg 1433X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/9/18 20:32
 Top  Print   

Re: Linkage lube
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
WD-40 is not a lubricant. If you don't like grease, use an oil.

Posted on: 2023/9/18 20:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
WD-40 is not a good long term lubricant. It is designed to displace water and protect something from rust by forming a film over the items applied to. It is too thin and because it leaves a film that turns gummy and attracts dirt before too long, can actually cause some issues. Suggest you use a light spray on water resistant lithium grease for the OD cable sleeve and the rod that slides inside the sleeve. It can also be used for the rod end and lever joints on the shift linkage.

I would also suggest you try to get some thin oil inside the actual OD cable from the dash bracket down to the sleeve. The old Bowden cables consist of a steel wire inside a steel outer housing and inner wire can rust and bind. If you push the dash knob in and wire is binding the cable housing can be pushed out of the pot metal crimp at the rear of the dash bracket. Depending on how and where damage is done when the cable housing separates, repair can be difficult. In other cases it is not a terrible job but it will still be an inconvenience and the OD may be inoperative until it is fixed.

It is not easy to get oil inside to the wire because of the way the housing is snugly coiled around the wire. There is normally no space for oil to get in but a gentle bending of the housing will open the coils on the outside of the bend a tiny bit and if you apply drops of thin oil some will seep inside. If you can find thin oil in a pressure can, holding the bent cable in a rag and squirting oil under pressure into the slightly open loops may help oil get in. Just make sure when bending it is a gentle curve and not enough to cause cable to kink.

Posted on: 2023/9/18 20:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
The OD cable should move smoothly and easily. A light oil will usually loosen a stiff one up. Forcing a stiff cable will cause damage.

Posted on: 2023/9/19 8:26
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
WD-40 has a line of other spray lubricants that work well in different situations. They have a spray dry lubricant that is pretty much spray Teflon that works well on hinges and stuff like that. Also, its clear.

Also, they have a no-drip gel lubricant that works well on other items.

Those are the only WD-40 brand products I use. I prefer PB-Blaster for spray penetrators. It also works well at rejuvenating petrified rubber.

Posted on: 2023/9/19 8:44
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
A very poor choice of words on my part, i should have stated use of a spray lubricant with low sling quantities.

Posted on: 2023/9/19 16:53
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
My OD CABLE DETACHED FROM THE POT METAL DASH MOUNT, so someone tried to solder the cable to the pot metal unsuccessfully but left a blob of solder stuck to the wire coil, so I slid it up to the potmetal piece and used a tiny hose clamp around the two and it is holding well. This was fortunate. The OD took a while to get the hang of, but I see the benefits now.

Posted on: 2023/9/19 17:02
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
I used PB BLAST on the tubes of the shifter to great effect.

Posted on: 2023/9/19 17:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That failure is typical if the wire cable was binding in the housing or if the rod that slides in the sleeve down at the OD lockout lever rusts or gets covered with road tar. Hopefully the cable was lubed at the time the bracket was broken but if that was years ago it would not hurt to do check the entire length and do a refresh lube.

If the end splits letting the cable just slide out the hose clamp has been used but can sometimes be a bit unsightly. 2 piece shaft collars also work well and if painted to match the bracket, have a bit more of a finished look.

If the entire crimped area along with a bit of the back end of the bracket is pushed off as has happened to a couple of people the repair is much more difficult.

Posted on: 2023/9/19 17:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I have a couple of quite stuck OD cables. Truth is, it is quite likely that they are all stuck. I'm pondering the idea of removing them, coiling them gently and putting them at the bottom of a five gallon bucket and then letting them soak in EvapoRust. One first, to see if it works. And then maybe doing something similar with light oil to keep it/them movable.

But this won't be done next week . . . .

Posted on: 2023/9/19 18:28
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved