Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (167 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 237

Packardbarry, Spencer B., more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Oiling issues and hole in air filter lid.
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

fourbybud
See User information
You all have been a great help, and the beast is finally up and running. 2 last questions for now.
There is a hole in the air cleaner lid next to the one for the wing nut. Any ideas.
I added a factory oil filter set up. Now when warmed up so much oil goes down the fill/breather tube that is blows back up into the cap and is spilling out? I'm thinking it needs a restriciton somewhere?

Posted on: 2023/9/21 17:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Oiling issues and hole in air filter lid.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On the air cleaner hole, if it is half inch or larger possibly someone tried to adapt a valve to form a PCV system. Others have done that by using a valve and length of hose connecting it to the road draft tube port on the valve cover. If smaller than a valve then no idea. Maybe a photo would let someone give a better answer.

On the original prewar type filters there should be a restriction in one of the fittings. Packard specified filling a fitting passage with solder then drilling a hole using a 5/64 drill bit thru the solder. On the prewar filters Packard placed the restricted fitting in the bottom inlet port elbow. You can go thru several of the prewar service letter articles having to do with noisy tappets and revised connections to get details although those were mostly pertaining to 356 engines. Excess flow thru filter would still be applicable to yours though. As I recall the one mentioning the specifics on the orifice was published in 43 and may be linked in an earlier reply.

Posted on: 2023/9/21 17:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

fourbybud
See User information
Sorry. Thought I had attached a pic. It's a small hole. Smaller than the stud for the wing nut.

Attach file:

jpg  20230921_154638.jpg (256.15 KB)
226365_650cd00742a99.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/9/21 18:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Fourbybud

You wrote “Now when warmed up so much oil goes down the fill/breather tube that is blows back up into the cap and is spilling out? I'm thinking it needs a restriciton [sic] somewhere?”

Unless the drain tube is very close to a baffle, the short answer is yes. HH56 added the recommendation is a 5/64” orifice. I would place the orifice between the engine and the filter housing, because that would dramatically reduce the pressure in the filter housing, thus reducing the possibility of a gasket leak. Plus if the orifice is right at the engine, again as HH56 noted as the preferred configuration, the entire accessory equipment could fall off and you still only have a 5/64” hole leaking oil . . . not that that is acceptable, but is surely better than a ¼” hole.

If you solder and drill an orifice you might start a bit smaller than the recommended size, and re-evaluate the splash-back in the filler tube. I have some experience in drilling leaded carburetor jets . . . my advice would be don’t push too hard, if you do it makes something more like rifling than a smooth bore. I don’t think in your application rifling would matter at all, but in a carb jet it has a tendency to alter the jet’s flow and exit pattern. I have a carb jet flow rig (water not gas) for volume flow measurements. The rifling would put a twist in the flow, and direct the water flow off to one side.

With respect to the hole in the air filter. I’m at a loss, but I do have a question. Would the hole allow debris, or liquid to be directed into the throat of the carb? If it does I would find a thin fender washer to put under the wing nut while we’re gathering more information. Perhaps there was a tab washer that had a dimple that fit somewhat into the hole and allowed an anti-rotation feature for the wing nut . . . but that’s a SWAG!

dp

Posted on: 2023/9/21 20:25
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think there would have been a washer there that fits in there, perhaps with a rubber seal.

Posted on: 2023/9/21 20:44
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
I'd wager someone drilled that hole to give the car a hotshot of starting fluid without removing the filter.

Posted on: 2023/9/21 21:47
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

fourbybud
See User information
The hole leads directly into the carb. Looks like a factory hole, not drilled but who really knows. Gonna make a washer of some sort.
As far as the oil issue. Picked up a brass compression union this am and gonna fill with solder to drill out. 5/32 is not much less than the 1/4 line. Anyone want recommend a smaller size to start with?

Posted on: 2023/9/22 11:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard posted a 5/64 hole not a 5/32.

Posted on: 2023/9/22 12:28
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

fourbybud
See User information
Quote:

JWL wrote:
Howard posted a 5/64 hole not a 5/32.

Oops. My bad. Thank you

Posted on: 2023/9/22 12:49
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

fourbybud
See User information
Well, made a restriction by using a brass compression. Filled it with solder and drilled it out to 5/64. Helped immensely but still have a slight splashing problem in the filler tube and saturating the breather to the point of leaking. What's everyone's thoughts on stepping down to 1/16 hole size? Or I was thinking about putting a brass freeze plug in the filler tube with some smaller holes to control the splashing yet still letting the engine breath?

Attach file:

jpg  20230922_143009.jpg (0.00 KB)
226365_650e2197e3e9e.jpg 0X0 px

Posted on: 2023/9/22 18:22
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved