Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 223

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Headlight compatibility between models years
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveJr
See User information
I have. 1949 custom, 2252. Will the headlights, assemblies and beauty rings from 1948-1954 models fit my car?

Posted on: 2023/9/23 23:06
 Top  Print   

Re: Headlight compatibility between models years
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The parts book or Factory Parts List database on this site would probably give you a quick answer.

Posted on: 2023/9/23 23:15
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveJr
See User information
I looked, but I’ll look again. Maybe I missed it.

Posted on: 2023/9/23 23:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Headlight assy illustration is on plate 77 in 48-54 parts book and is group 4.1300 which starts on page 134 of electrical section 4. While a lot of the individual parts are the same thru 54, complete assys have different part numbers. There is a right and left for 22-23 series as well as different buckets for whatever alum lamps and hall steel lamps might be.

The 22-23 right and left difference is probably because of the assembled length of the interconnect cable needed from the bucket to the single junction block on left fender. Parts says the actual buckets are the same R and L so should interchange without the cable. No idea what is different between the alum lamp and hall steel lamp buckets or if they could be mixed.

51-4 LHD drive cars use a single assy number and is the same right and left. The main loom is different on those years with a second junction block on the right fender. Suspect that is why they can use the same assy.

The hoods or beauty rings are stamped metal in 22-23 models while I believe they are a mixture of stamped and cast pot metal in the later years. Am fairly sure all 51-4 will interchange with each other because all the buckets and fenders are the same. Not so sure if the later rings will go on the 22-23 series since those years have different buckets and shape of fenders. There is also the difference in styling or finish between the various models and years to consider.

Posted on: 2023/9/24 10:15
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Some cars had aluminum headlight buckets after WWII. I know that some Fords did, and some Fords had aluminum front floor boards. As far as I know, the steel and aluminum buckets interchanged, and all "sealed beam" headlights interchanged, though the later, all-glass ones worked better. As for trim, I think it changed often.

Posted on: 2023/9/24 10:56
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveJr
See User information
Thanks guys. I appreciate you breaking it down. I’ll post when I get some replacement parts and get it working.

Posted on: 2023/9/24 17:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Those are 7" round dual element headlamps. They're getting harder to come by in incandescent, size wasn't used that much post war and later switch to four lamp, but there's halogen and LED versions now.
The "beauty" rings/retainers are SS usually came from the headlight manufacturers and are interchangeable as well. Some in repro.
The buckets are factory sheet metal and may vary by year due to design changes. The adjusting hardware is available and it's pretty standard, too. The springs maybe a tough find but can adapt GM or some other.

Posted on: 2023/9/25 16:11
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved