Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 113

Rich49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Door Handle Removal Tool for V8's (J-5981)
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Hello everyone,

During my short time on this forum I've seen many people (including me) ask how to get the door handles / window cranks off the 55-56 cars and whether there is a tool for that. I decided to design one up today based off of RH's images of his.

I know that there are some generic tools out there, but this one should be a perfect fit, with much higher quality also, with stainless steel construction and a sturdy handle. No worry about the thing getting rusty or being awkward to use.

After a fair amount of time researching various sheet metal manufacturers, I think I can price these at around $24.95 for one or $19.95 ea for a pair.

Let me know if there is any interest in this. Or, if there's anything else repro-ing, give me a shout. Probably would need interest in about 10 sales for these to be worth making, as I would order probably at least triple that of the metal parts to get a decent price, and keep them around for the future. The handles, aside from shipping, don't have a quantity discount (common for 3D printed items) so at least I wouldn't have to bulk up on those.

Attach file:

png  image[1].png (80.61 KB)
225076_6510cea035a69.png 1235X774 px

Posted on: 2023/9/24 19:04
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Re: Door Handle Removal Tool for V8's (J-5981)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I would be interested! I have a GM type that got the handles off my 1956 Clipper but it was awkward at best so having a tool made for the purpose would be great.

Posted on: 2023/9/24 19:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
Re: door handle removal, 55 Packard
I was having difficulty getting drivers side handle off with barely any room between metal portion of door panel and the handle trim. As some suggested, and as the right door handle proved their point, in a sharp turn the passenger door handle would fall off LOL.
The specific tool was purchased for a pittance but the clearance was problematic. The "tape the door area" solution didn't seem plausable given the tendency of tape to tear under the sharp edges of the trim tool.
Solution:
I cut a section of a gallon milk jug from the flat area and shaped it to match the trim tool. The Plastic (actually Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene or UHMWP) is almost bullet proof and friction free (think teflon sheet). {Plastic was nested with the tool and both slipped under the handle trim. With much effort the tool found its target and a minute later handle was in my lap. I now store that trim tool and UHMWP sheet in the drawer with all trim removal tools. Good luck....worth a try!!

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_4362.jpg (764.59 KB)
97266_660ff27bae97c.jpg 2016X1512 px

Posted on: 4/5 7:47
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
An excellent trick. Thanks very much.

Posted on: 4/5 11:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
You might try 3d printing one.

The plastic would be better for the paint.

It doesn't take much to push that clip. Then wiggle the handle. Pull off.

Posted on: 4/6 22:32
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I think I somehow missed the first post so also missed the point of the discussion! If you do make these, I could use two as the generic ones, while they work, are a pain!

Posted on: 4/6 22:59
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved