Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 128

John Wogec, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1948 station sedan headlight switch
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packwagon
See User information
I’ve been trying to get my headlight switch working and have little luck. On the 1st push I should get the tail lights and parking lights to come on. I get nothing . On the 2nd push I get tail lights and headlights come on. My brakes and turn signals work. I get my beam light and headlight indicator on.
I have no instrument lights or turn signal indicators either.
I am really going in circles.

Posted on: 2023/9/29 23:17
 Top  Print   

Re: 1948 station sedan headlight switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Can almost guarantee you will have to take your headlight switch apart and clean it. It is simply not making contact on the first push.

The instrument light switch is fed from the tail light circuit on the headlight switch. If the tail lights come on, then either the instrument light switch also needs cleaning or you just can't see them unless the room is dead dark. Or they are all burned out by too much jump starting off of 12v in the past.

The turn signal tell-tale is fed by one terminal on the flasher. If the turn signals work it is most likely that the bulb is out..Much less likely that the flasher is bad.

Posted on: 2023/9/30 7:27
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
The turn signal tell-tale is fed by one terminal on the flasher. If the turn signals work it is most likely that the bulb is out..Much less likely that the flasher is bad.

A true statement if the car has the original TungSol thermal type flasher but if someone has replaced the original flasher with a so called universal 6v replacement such as the 535 sold by Napa and others, those are only partially thermal. The thermal part operates a mechanical contact to work the outside lights and the outside lights will work in all cars.

On cars with indicator lights driven by the same circuit and "L" terminal as the outside lights, those indicators will work too so in that instance the flasher is universal. For cars like the Packard that utilize the "P" terminal of the flasher to power the indicator bulb, the 535 has a transistor which powers that terminal. Use of the transistor makes them polarity sensitive and without changing the transistor to a different type, the indicator light will only work on negative ground cars.

Here is a bit on the two flashers. Note the TungSol shown is the screw terminal type used on the 47 and earlier. Don't remember if 48 still used the screw terminals or went to the later same type flasher but with 3 straight tabs for a socket. If you do have a replacement flasher, options are to find an original flasher on ebay or change it out to a full electronic flasher. The full electronic type are polarity specific but are available for both positive and negative ground cars.

Attach file:

jpg  229d and 535 flasher.jpg (37.78 KB)
209_65182958b4a14.jpg 500X500 px

Posted on: 2023/9/30 9:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Packwagon wrote:
I’ve been trying to get my headlight switch working and have little luck. On the 1st push I should get the tail lights and parking lights to come on. I get nothing . On the 2nd push I get tail lights and headlights come on. My brakes and turn signals work. I get my beam light and headlight indicator on.
I have no instrument lights or turn signal indicators either.
I am really going in circles.

Here are some photos Jeff took of the disassembled headlight switch. Possibly a dirty or damaged contact as Ross said, or also a possibility someone took it apart before and there was an incorrect reassembly.

Since you never get instrument lights and those go thru a switch you might need to clean it too. Did you actually take a bulb out of the cluster and ground the socket to see if it would light. Remember the car has the Flite-Glo luminescent cluster so the bulbs are covered with a UV filter and visible light in the cluster is only a very dim purple. It might not be bright enough to be seen in daylight. The instrument lights are only powered from the tail light terminal so until you get the headlight sequence sorted make sure you are trying them in the switch position when the tail lights are working. I think there is a resistor on the instrument switch too so make sure it is good.

Also check that the wires going to the various lights are on the proper terminals of the switches.

Attach file:

jpg  5012_526460a18dc97.jpg (84.88 KB)
209_65182f4b2026d.jpg 950X713 px

jpg  5012_526461022d1f9.jpg (79.01 KB)
209_65182f67375a9.jpg 950X713 px

Posted on: 2023/9/30 9:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
if you can't get yours cleaned and working I have one Dell

Posted on: 2023/9/30 17:25

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54Les
See User information
Has anyone tried reversing the C & E connections on the transistor in the flasher?

Posted on: 2023/10/3 9:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

54Les wrote:
Has anyone tried reversing the C & E connections on the transistor in the flasher?

The transistor would need to be replaced with NPN as so.

Attach file:

png  npn vs pnp 54 flasher.png (243.78 KB)
225076_651c2cb6ccab6.png 879X600 px

Posted on: 2023/10/3 10:01
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
When I did the flasher comparison, another poster with a 53 Dodge and positive ground had the same issue of no indicator light with his use of the 535 flasher. He changed the original transistor to an NTE 123AP and that solved the problem. The NTE transistor is available on ebay and if you have a local electronics store, they should have it or something comparable in another brand.

Attach file:

jpg  NTE 123AP.jpg (80.30 KB)
209_651c9f1605159.jpg 830X1002 px

Posted on: 2023/10/3 18:13
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved