Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 140

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Replacing Cowl Vent Gasket
Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
Just wondering if when replacing the vent gasket, there's an easy way to remove or loosen the cowl vent to put the gasket in or if it's better to "stuff" the gasket through the tight gap back part when the vent is open?

Posted on: 2023/10/3 22:07
 Top  Print   

Re: Replacing Cowl Vent Gasket
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I don't know about your specific car, but generally you can unfasten the "lid and scoop" from the levers under the dash and lift it out.

Posted on: 2023/10/4 12:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I have a 37 but I suspect it is a similar assembly method. The gasket went in quite easily with the vent off.
Mine has two #10 screws/washer/nuts holding the vent to the pivot arm under the dash. (Not a great place to reach and could surely do with cage nuts instead but it is only two, thank you Packard.)
I have attached two images, they are heavily cropped from images of other subjects so are a bit grainy and small but show the two holes in the vent plate and the one bolt/nut/washer fastener under the dash after assembly.

Attach file:

jpg  Vent.JPG (33.92 KB)
225215_651db0969e1b3.jpg 379X295 px

jpg  Vent fastener.JPG (116.14 KB)
225215_651db0a2a6e16.jpg 1245X671 px

Posted on: 2023/10/4 13:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
Thanks. I hadn't yet done the dash floorboard slide check so this is super helpful.

Posted on: 2023/10/4 15:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
Any tips on getting the hardened/melted rubber off here?

Also, what should be used to bind the new rubber down?

Attach file:

jpg  PXL_20231007_213748386.jpg (335.17 KB)
225785_6521fbe886658.jpg 1344X1786 px

Posted on: 2023/10/7 19:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
My 39 turned out to have 4 holding it down. Thanks.

Posted on: 2023/10/7 19:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
You could try putting gasoline in the trough and letting it soak. It should curl up and soften the rubber. So you can push it out.

Posted on: 2023/10/7 20:28
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You can't do better than 3M's Weatherstrip Adhesive to retain the new gasket.

Posted on: 2023/10/7 20:28
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I think it would be a good idea to take your time here too. It looks like getting the old gasket out will leave a good portion of raw steel exposed. Tape off the area not affected on the cowl first. Clean and sand the grooved area as smooth as practical. Then coat using metal etching primer, then an epoxy primer and then a top coat of spray paint. The colour only needs to be close as it is mostly blinded by the gasket and its vent.
This will properly seal up the gasket well's surface.
I know this all adds days to the project but doing it right is never a waste of time.
Once dry it will also allow a good surface for the adhesive to work at its best to hold the gasket in place and not allow any rust blemish to occur later on. No sense getting the new gasket in only to have issues later down the road as it is an area water lays in and takes a long time to dry, even washing the car introduces it as you will not likely be taking her out in the rain. Note too there are two drain pipes that help shed the water and these drain through the firewall with flexible hoses. With the gasket being as it is, they are likely rotted and embrittled too so you will likely need to have new hoses put on.
Have fun!
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/10/7 22:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
An old glass shop guy here used to put waterless, GoJo type hand cleaner on old gaskets to soften them. He'd smear on hand cleaner for a couple of days and the lanolin would soften the old rubber.

Posted on: 2023/10/8 9:18
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved