Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
186 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 182

Packard Don, packardbill, DM37, Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Hubcap Creep
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I put my hubcap on and after a bit of driving it has rotated until it has pulled the valve stem over like in the picture. This has happened twice on this same wheel.

I haven't tried any experiments, but what would be the cause of this? Is this the rim, or the hubcap?

Attach file:

jpg  Hubcap.jpg (229.17 KB)
226104_6520100c945e5.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/10/6 8:49
 Top  Print   

Re: Hubcap Creep
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Remove the wheel cover, and look for a pair of "teeth" flanking the hole for the valve stem. These "teeth" are intended to engage a corresponding pair of "divots" in the OE rim. Together these help keep the cover from walking around the rim.

Make sure these "teeth" aren't flattened. Make sure you have an OE rim.

Posted on: 2023/10/6 8:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I've never seen that. If the wheel is flexing, it might cause it. I'd look very carefully for any signs of cracking anywhere on the wheel, and be sure that the wheel fits the hub correctly. Some wheels will fit, but not fit correctly. This can happen with 35-6-7 120 models, and perhaps others. Beyond that, I'd examine the cap fasteners. Some full covers had rubber anti-rattle features, and if those were missing or deteriorated it might cause issues.

** I think "the teeth" have it!

Posted on: 2023/10/6 8:58
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

BH wrote:
Remove the wheel cover, and look for a pair of "teeth" flanking the hole for the valve stem. These "teeth" are intended to engage a corresponding pair of "divots" in the OE rim. Together these help keep the cover from walking around the rim.

Make sure these "teeth" aren't flattened. Make sure you have an OE rim.

Thank you! My black car has one green rim, which is the one the hubcap is walking on. I'll check it out and see what's going on, maybe it's not OE.

Posted on: 2023/10/6 9:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There have also been reports on Packard and other mfgs forums that if the wheels are powder coated the very smooth and extra hard finish makes it difficult for the teeth to grab. Bending the teeth is also recommended in that situation but others report in addition to more tension on the teeth, they had to scuff and dull the powder coat where the teeth landed. Usually that fixed the issue although some said even that wasn't enough and they finally resorted to steel instead of the rubber air fittings.

Posted on: 2023/10/6 10:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
Do you have radial tires? They can cause enough flex in the wheels to allow hubcap creep.

I had this problem and bent the "teeth" out until the hubcaps were nearly impossible to put on. I took some JB weld and made a couple little bumps on the rim where the teeth ride. This seems to have worked.

Posted on: 2023/10/6 23:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

longjohn wrote:
Do you have radial tires? They can cause enough flex in the wheels to allow hubcap creep.

I had this problem and bent the "teeth" out until the hubcaps were nearly impossible to put on. I took some JB weld and made a couple little bumps on the rim where the teeth ride. This seems to have worked.

Don't have radials yet...........net week! Got to do some checking to see why this wheel is different. I'll let everyone know if I find anything.

Posted on: 2023/10/7 0:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Original equipment wheel covers/caps may have some wear issues and loss of tension problems in the various clips and gripper teeth. Does anyone make a good aftermarket wheel that has a "classic" look?

Posted on: 2023/10/7 9:38
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Metal valve stems cured by creep issue with radial tires.

Posted on: 2023/10/7 12:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Metal valve stems cured by creep issue with radial tires.

I'm about to get radial tires put on, so I'll get metal valve stems at the same time!

Posted on: 2023/10/7 12:50
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved