Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 208

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fog Lights
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Teddyh53Clip
See User information
Has anyone mounted fog lights to the front of their car without having to drill directly into the bumper? I would rather not drill holes into the chrome on my '53 Clipper. I thought about using the license plate bracket that is already there but could only fit 1 in reality. Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 2023/10/13 7:48
 Top  Print   

Re: Fog Lights
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I would not drill any holes. I believe most all fog lights and driving lights had mounts that clamped to the bumper support brackets on the pre-war cars. Later models had sheet metal splash shields between the bumpers and the body, and some people mounted lights on these.

Posted on: 2023/10/13 8:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As TxGoat said, the Packard accessory lights or Unity reproductions attach to the bumper brackets which would mean holes through the splash panels but those are easy to replace should you want to remove the lights at some point.

Posted on: 2023/10/13 13:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Many post war cars and some pre-war ones may require drilling holes in the splash apron. Measure carefully.

Posted on: 2023/10/13 20:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Why are you adding them, is the better question? In the '30s,'40s, certainly '50s, you r a r e l y saw fog or driving lights on any cars, expensive ones included.

Hobbyists today think they need every factory and dealer option available, overlooking that most of the latter were simply a way of increasing the dealer's profit margin.

My '47 Super has driving lights (clear, fog are amber bulbs only difference) because dealers took advantage of a car-starved public by loading inventory with options.

Keep it simple. Cars look best with fewer distractions, gew gaws.

Make sure your grounds good. They make LED headlights for our 6-volt cars now. Also, consider a bolt-in (no butchering whatsoever) 6-volt, positive ground, 55-amp alternator if you want brighter head and tail lights, especially when idling at a light or at slow speed.

Jim's Battery Manufacturing, Youngstown, OH (707) 426-7580 has such 6-volt alternators. In the win-win-win, you're saving weight, as with using an 800-cold-cranking-amp Optima Red Top 6-volt battery. Something few old domestic car guys grasp: "Weight is the enemy" in any serious sport, GT, road car. A little here, a littler there, it adds up.

Tell Jim that Mike, '47 Super Clipper, Walnut Creek, CA, and the late Hans Edwards, '47 Custom Super, British Columbia, referred you.

Posted on: 2023/10/14 15:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
The difference between driving lights and fog lights is the beam shape not the color. There are clear fog lights and French high beams were yellow for many years

Posted on: 2023/10/14 17:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Thanks. Live and learn. But they're still a silly affectation on most cars, esp. by the '50s. Less is more, certainly if the car has clean lines, the right color, a certain presence and g o e s, or at least looks ready to.

Posted on: 2023/10/15 9:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Jim's phone rings to an unhappy pre-recorded message.

Posted on: 2023/10/15 11:07
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Driving lights are a useful addition to pre-sealed beam headlight cars.

Posted on: 2023/10/15 13:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Some with vintage cars with fog/driving lights use them for daylight driving lights when out and about.

Posted on: 2023/10/15 13:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved