Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 196

moodydavid16, dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Storage
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Teddyh53Clip
See User information
Its getting colder and wetter here in Indiana and its coming to the point where I need to store my '53 Clipper. It will be outside with a cover. I'm curious what things need to be done for storage? Probably 4-6 months. Do I need to use a fuel stabilizer(it has about half a tank right now)? Disconnect the battery? Oil additive? Any chemicals? I did an oil change on 10/25 (about 60 miles ago). TIA!

Posted on: 2023/11/1 15:42
 Top  Print   

Re: Storage
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yes to fuel stabilizer. I use it all year long since we don't cycle the gas as fast as we do in our daily driver.

Disconnect battery. Make sure your antifreeze is up to snuff speed you don't end up with a cracked block.

I'd ball up a piece of tinfoil and shove in the tail pipe to keep mice from over wintering in your muffler.

Posted on: 2023/11/1 19:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
I would try to fill the tank (air space isn't your friend for condensation). Also, run it enough to get the stabilizer through the whole system.

I will be winterizing my boat in the coming weeks and like your car spends the months outside. I like to use fogging oil, I use Sta-Bil's. Easy to use and instruction are on the can. It will help coat all internals of the motor and help prevent internal rusting. Cheap insurance.

Posted on: 2023/11/1 20:17
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
BigKev wrote:

Quote:
I'd ball up a piece of tinfoil and shove in the tail pipe to keep mice from over wintering in your muffler.

Also, the draft tube. I clearly recall pix posted in these forums of dead mice found around the pushrods, timing chain, etc.

Posted on: 2023/11/1 22:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
All good advice above. Make sure to place plenty of desiccant and cedar shavings inside to absorb moisture and prevent moth/insect/rodent damage. Don't overlook the trunk. Could also spray interior, trunk and engine bay with peppermint oil, which mice hate.

Even in the nicest attached home garages, these are prudent measures.

Since you won't be operating the engine for months, cold is no problem. Unless car periodically driven during winters like yours, a heated garage not a good idea since heat boosts chemical reactions, like oxidation, rust.

Posted on: 2023/11/1 23:18
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Teddyh53Clip
See User information
So using a coolant additive, like Water Wetter, is not really needed? The only time it would get driven or started during the winter months is if the temperature is above 50 degrees farenheit(which is possible in Indiana). I was also planning on putting DampRid inside to keep moisture down/out since it does have some leaky spots, but hopefully the cover will block those. Also, is there anything particular to do when I start it for the first time after storage? Thanks!

Posted on: 2023/11/2 7:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
Couple observations..

If you are planning on starting it during the winter, then you really aren't "winterizing" your car. Fogging the motor as I described would be negated by starting the engine and would need to be done again if it were to sit for a long period. If you plan on using it occasionally you would be better off sticking to a schedule and just run it every few weeks or so and treat it like a spare car in your driveway.

Antifreeze for storage need not be special. To put in perspective for my boat I drain all the water out of the block (boats bring in fresh water to cool) and simply fill it back up with non-toxic antifreeze. It's cheap and its only purpose is to prevent to block from cracking and helps prevent rust internally. It has no running performance characteristics. In your car you want to have fresh antifreeze, but one rated for your car and climate. Don't overthink it. Wetting agents you describe are more for keeping engines cooler vs cracking.

You don't talk about what cover you own. Don't use a blue tarp of death that doesn't breathe. Spend the money and make sure you buy one specific to your car and application. You have several price options available. I always like using California Car Covers myself.

Posted on: 2023/11/2 8:24
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
If you can avoid road salt, it would be very beneficial to take the car out for a long drive (30 miles or more) every six weeks or so. Short of that, don't start the car unless you are going to drive it at least half an hour or more. If you have an opportunity to take a drive, top up the gas tank afterward. Putting the battery on a maintainer for a couple of days a month can be beneficial. Stepping on the brake pedal a couple of times every month or so with moderate pressure can help prevent leaks and sticking cups. Rocking the car or pushing it a couple of feet once in a while can help prevent stuck brake shoes

Posted on: 2023/11/2 9:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I'd want to uncover the car every few weeks or after heavy rain or snow to check for water leaks and soaked covering material Moving the car a few feet by pushing it can help prevent tire damage. Check tire pressure at least every month. Moisture can accumulate under car covers. Ventilation in dry weather can minimize it. You need a quality car cover in good condition, and the car needs to be placed in a well-drained area. Concrete is best.

Posted on: 2023/11/2 9:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
It's probably best to leave the parking brake off to prevent stuck shoes or cables.

Posted on: 2023/11/2 9:52
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved