Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
241 user(s) are online (165 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 240

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

49-50 Windshield shades???
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

BlakesPackards
See User information
Well I can return them if they don’t work. Are they aftermarket? Probably, but why did someone go ahead and put the appropriate series number on them as well?
I think worth the money for the potential “cool” factor upgrade!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195778835179?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=o-RrSLOwSEu&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=9Q2jBZmLQQy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Attach file:

png  4EF6D9D9-F317-4EF0-A5C1-36627F3B2E14.png (1,121.42 KB)
226515_654a82b90e3a3.png 473X1024 px

png  A369524C-EFC1-4830-9685-B801D8813C11.png (1,900.95 KB)
226515_654a82ff6e79a.png 473X1024 px

Posted on: 2023/11/7 13:33
 Top  Print   

Re: 49-50 Windshield shades???
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I did not see those particular shades in the 48 accessory folder on site but they could have been added in a later version or maybe was a 23rd series addition. The 48 accessory folder does show a rectangular shade that clips on the regular sun visor. Since the seller is a Packard region chances are they are an authentic repro.

The 51 acc folder shows a one piece windshield shade strip that is tinted much lighter than those. It is a piece about 2 inches wide and goes across the top of the windshield much like the later built in strips of shading on more modern glass. Do not know how the originals attached but I do recall my father bought one of the strips with his new 51 and had all kinds of issues keeping one section in position. As I recall he even tried Scotch tape but the sun must have heated that up and it didn't hold either. Strip finally came down once too often so he just ripped it off and threw it away.

Posted on: 2023/11/10 12:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I've never seen anything that shape and it doesn't say how it attaches. My May'49 issue 23 parts list, marked "preliminary" has no section for accessories nor do they show elsewhere. Maybe a later version.

I can recall those clip on the sunshade dark plastic ones, that you flipped down when it wasn't that bright and needed to see but sunscreen was in the way. But don't recall when, what they were on/for back then. Universal? I was not too P swavvy then. We used to read J.C.Whitney catalogues for entertainment so maybe they were in there.
I know the Biarritz had a green plastic center insert right in the shade, that was replaceable, now unobtainium, so many solutions to this issue. Most of them after a while kept flopping down and repeated tightening often stripped the threads. I'd opt for an external visor. They don't make them like that anymore so you'll stand out and quite good for driving. Never caught on. Now we have cheapo and not so cheapo tactical "military grade" sunglasses.

Posted on: 2023/11/11 15:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The only ones I've ever seen are about the size and shape of a standard shade and clip onto the edge, being able to fold up flat out of the way with the shade or down to protect the eyes. I have a pair somewhere.

Posted on: 2023/11/11 15:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved