Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 153

moodydavid16, Don B, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Door panels and door gaskets
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
Hi again,
How much trouble is it to replace all the weatherstripping gaskets on the doors and trunk-lid and all the rubber contact bumpers. I have very ratty looking door panels due to seepage/leakage over the years.
Can the door panels be cleaned without ruining them?
(See my photo)

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_4606.jpeg (123.65 KB)
226376_654a8bfd65067.jpeg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2023/11/7 14:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Door panels and door gaskets
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Other than getting all the old rubber off it is not terribly difficult to replace weather stripping. Most of the door and trunk pieces are just glued on. A couple of original door bottom pieces used screws or fold over tabs that went into slots but I believe the only replacements for those today will need to be glued. A few bumpers use screws and others have protruding retainers that push into holes in sheetmetal. Doing an entire car will be a bit pricy and Steele Rubber is the best at having most of the pieces. Kanter may still carry some kits which are fairly complete. I believe Max Merritt carries Steele rubber but may offer a slight discount if you order thru them. As I recall, some pieces have not been reproduced so not much option on those. You might check Steele's website. When I did my 47 they offered a service where they would put together and email a custom catalog for a particular year showing all the pieces they carried for that year. Not sure if they still have that service but a time saver if they do.

Aside from any of the window glass rubber pieces, the most difficult weatherstrips are the two vertical pieces at the front of doors next to the fenders. IIRC, those are screwed as well as glued and there is a flange that is part of the weatherstrip which goes under the fender edge. To install those pieces, the rear of fenders need to be unbolted from the cowl and pulled away. There is every chance the bolts are rusted and will cause you grief trying to get them loose. You also run the risk of getting the fenders out of alignment which can take some time and effort to get back correctly.

The upholstery panels can be cleaned with some of the foaming type upholstery cleaners but take care not to get them too wet or saturated since a paper like padding or in some cases, cotton batting is underneath the fabric. Cleaner will help ordinary dirt stains but if the stains are due to water leaks then those rust like stains usually do not go away.

If you were thinking of having new panels made, aside from finding the correct fabric, your panel looks fairly simple and could probably be done locally. If the pattern is heat embossed or made in such a way it cannot be done by your local upholsterer I believe the only place that is willing to do Packard panels is SMS in Oregon. Last I heard they have a very long waiting list.

Posted on: 2023/11/7 15:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
3M Adhesive Remover works well to soften and remove the old weatherstripping adhesive without removing the paint. Buts it's still a pain in the ass job.

Posted on: 2023/11/7 16:46
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
About as appetizing as a 10 year old eating brussel sprouts!!🤣🤣
Well if I don’t want to get water logged in the next parade, I’d better get busy!!

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_2619.jpeg (156.78 KB)
226376_654b10c855ec1.jpeg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2023/11/7 23:38
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
No sure what that white blemish/streak on door panel shown is, if not reflection/photo induced, but looks very presentable overall as is. Vinyl is good, no rips or tears. I don't see a need to replace. That's the stainless accent strip model so easy to remove/buff to restore. Clips on the strip fold over slots.
If you can find a good detail shop, they may work wonders on them. Accumulated dust and dirt most likely and thorough cleaning would enhance. Doubt it'll ever be the same shade as new, like people, we show our age.
Staining is another issue, can be mildew or deposits from water/etc.
I'd vacuum them first and as HH says, try the easy approach first, get out the upholstery spray foam and wail away with a clean soft brush and plenty of paper towels, blotting as you go. I've had good luck with the teflon based stain lifter stuff, "Resolve". Spray or foam. They have some with odor neutralizers in it to address the musty smell. It's what I used when I had the dog and a carpet mess and on the boat carpet for spills. Works different, it coats the fiber and the dirt releases easier.
I'm a bit messy with weatherstrip adhesive, so be careful if you're like me. "Can't eat spaghetti with a white shirt on" type. Amazing, I had operators that looked like snow men/covered head to toe working equipment and others wouldn't have a hair out of place. Go figure?

Posted on: 2023/11/9 16:57
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved