Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 99

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Emergency - Someone please save this rare 1942 110 convertible coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
It looks like a very good project to me. Mine was listed at slightly more money but was negotiated down to slightly less, but to find an unrestored convertible from 80 years ago you do expect some work to be done. You also need to be able to do most of it yourself if you want to get'er done in a reasonable budget. It took about 5 times my purchase price to complete mine, getting a car worth about double what I have in it in the end, so that too is only available to the convertible model. Like the old saying, 'Top goes down, price goes up!"
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  Rescued.jpg (603.95 KB)
225215_655769d9d0d58.jpg 2048X1304 px

jpg  pass side-c.JPG (389.46 KB)
225215_655769f403809.jpg 2048X1342 px

Posted on: 2023/11/17 8:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Bob J: Wow! Your Packard is just stunning. What a transformation from what you started with. You should be very proud of your accomplishment.

I'm not sure what a fair value would be for that 1942 110, but the values for the 1938 and later junior Packard convertibles are substantially below those for the 1935-1937 models. These have always been considered the most desirable years, particularly the 1937's. I can't tell you how many times I have been asked if I knew of a 1937 120 Convertible Coupe for sale like yours. Just about every Packard guy I know holds this model in particularly esteem. The '35-'37 model years are like the so-called "Tri-Fives" of '55-'57's in the Chevy world.

I personally know of only one other '42 110 convertible coupe. This particular car belonged to a long-time member of my former Packard club (The Eastern Packard Club) from Connecticut. He owned this car for many years until his death several years ago at age 100. It had been given a full cosmetic restoration and was painted Packard Cream. Interesting car, as the data plate indicated a delivery date of December 8, 1941, the day after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Imagine the original owner of that car going to the dealership on that day to pick it up for the first time. I always wondered if he might have tuned in to hear President Roosevelt's "Day of Infamy" speech on the radio on the way home. Anyway, that car sold a few years ago for around $40K as I was told. It was a beautiful car, but it had been sitting for a couple of years while the estate was going through probate and had some mechanical issues. Still, it is going to take a tremendous effort to make the Facebook car as nice as that one. From a dollars and cents standpoint, it's not going to be worth it, even if you could do most of the work yourself, but such a historic vehicle should be saved. I hope that someone rescues it which is why I posted the ad on this site. Not many Packards rarer than this one.

Posted on: 2023/11/17 8:53
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I know where a basket case 42' 120 Convertible Coupe is available and waiting to be finished. The restored frame and powertrain are already in place, and the body is in primer.

Posted on: 2023/11/17 9:51
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Duncan Michael
See User information

Posted on: 2023/11/17 9:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
I really want to sell my '39 Six and buy a really nice 1938 or 1939 120. I have my '39 up for sale on this site, but so far, no interest. Disappointing. Come on, guys, it's not that bad a car.

Would not mind a '37 or earlier. There is a very nice '37 115C Convertible Coupe up for sale right now in Hemmings that is not too far away (Massachusetts). I'd be interested if I had my car sold. But I really can't get another car unless I sell mine first. Willing to make someone a deal.

Posted on: 2023/11/17 10:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Hi Duncan Michael: Yes, I have seen this car and have posted it to this site under another link (Packards for sale on Bringatrailer.com). There is also a very nice '40 120 Club Coupe now listed on this auction site. Both are nice cars.

Posted on: 2023/11/17 10:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
I know where a basket case 42' 120 Convertible Coupe is available and waiting to be finished. The restored frame and powertrain are already in place, and the body is in primer.

And it's a great project. I looked into it and for about the same price as the basket case in this thread you can get a car that has had most of the major background work done. I would love a project like the 120 but it's not in the cards at the moment. Too many other irons in the fire for me.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/11/17 10:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

packardsix1939 wrote:
I really want to sell my '39 Six and buy a really nice 1938 or 1939 120. I have my '39 up for sale on this site, but so far, no interest. Disappointing. Come on, guys, it's not that bad a car.

Would not mind a '37 or earlier. There is a very nice '37 115C Convertible Coupe up for sale right now in Hemmings that is not too far away (Massachusetts). I'd be interested if I had my car sold. But I really can't get another car unless I sell mine first. Willing to make someone a deal.

Excuse my ignorance, but what are the significant differences such that you would want to buy the other of even the same year? For example, excluding monetary concerns and the obvious difference in condition, I'm not particularly enamored with my 400 over my Clipper Deluxe, though obviously it's much nicer in many respects. But I think if I bought that Clipper in comparable condition and price to my 400, I would not have bought a second or traded.

Posted on: 2023/11/17 16:38
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Quote:

packardsix1939 wrote:
Bob J: Wow! Your Packard is just stunning. What a transformation from what you started with. You should be very proud of your accomplishment.

Thank you very much, I could not believe it when I literally tripped over the ad on Autotrader, it was not even listed as a convertible but a coupe! Needless to say I jumped on it. I tell people it is like going on a blind date and Cindy Crawford shows up.
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  original ad-drivers side front.jpg (87.78 KB)
225215_6557eb502140c.jpg 491X661 px

Posted on: 2023/11/17 17:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Bob J. Yes. I would agree that a 1937 120 Convertible is the Cindy Crawford of Packards. Or maybe the Jean Harlow if you wanted to pick a Hollywood star from the era when these cars were being built. From the photos you attached, it looks like you at least had a relatively solid car to start with. I have seen much worse cars being restored.

Posted on: 2023/11/17 21:55
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved