Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Yet another fugitive from the C. Lewis Ablelove auction comes up for sale
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Chirco
See User information
I met Anthony (thats his name) at the site where the cars were in New York. I have his cell number and have talked to him several times since. Im not sure why he is not responding but I will give him a call and ask. let you know what I find out.

Posted on: 2023/11/21 15:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

packardsix1939 wrote:
Hi Leeedy: I was reviewing the C. Louis Ablelove auction results and this individual was using antnucci" as his username for the online auction. This individual purchased a total of 35 cars at the Phase 1 auction held in November 2021 (out of 226 total lots) and an additional four vehicles at the Phase 2 auction held in April 2022. His Phase 1 purchases included a total of eight Caribbeans (four '53's, three '54's and one '56). While he did not purchase any of the available Caribbeans at the Phase 2 auction, he was the winning bidder on the 1937 120 Dietrich Convertible sedan, that, at $12,000, was one of the auction's top sellers. Several of these cars have since turned up for sale online on either FB Marketplace or Craigslist. I am not sure why he is responding to his ads, but maybe you could contact the auction company, Collar City Auctions. Here is contact information from their website:

CONTACT US
Randy Passonno - CAGA, ISA, Licensed & Bonded Auctioneer, Principal Real Estate Broker, Certified Appraiser, Realtor, President randyp@collarcityauctions.com

Audra M. Passonno - (Associate Real Estate Broker)audrap@collarcityauctions.com

Judith M. Stewart - (Associate Real Estate Broker)
judys@collarcityauctions.com

Appraisal Department - appraisals@collarcityauctions.com

Customer Service - service@collarcityauctions.com

Auction Questions - question@collarcityauctions.com

Reserve Your Auction Date - reserveauctiondate@collarcityauctions.com

Office/Hall Locations:

MAIN OFFICE:
9423 Western Turnpike (Rte. 20)
Delanson, NY 12053

Phone: (518) 895-8150 Fax: (518) 895-8152

===============================

Well. The problem is...

1.) The auction is lonnnnng over and done.

2.) The car auction company is not selling the cars listed on Facebook and really has no connection to them.

3.) Car auction companies almost never ever give out info on buyers of cars from previous or any auction.

4.) None of this resolves the questions of now...

* WHO posted a sale on Facebook?
• WHY is the Facebook poster not responding to inquiries about his post?
• WHY is the web page and phone number for the Facebook poster also totally unresponsive with a phone that does not work and emails that don't get answered?
• WHAT is this latest sale about if no one can reach the seller or get answers????? IS IT a real sale or a hacker's click bait?

Posted on: 2023/11/21 15:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Mike Chirco wrote:
I met Anthony (thats his name) at the site where the cars were in New York. I have his cell number and have talked to him several times since. Im not sure why he is not responding but I will give him a call and ask. let you know what I find out.

The cars listed in the links are supposedly at a place called "Altieri's Auto Tow" in Amsterdam, NY....

• The phone listed does not work. Try it.

• The email listed doe not give responses.

• A FB inquiry to the poster gets no response.

• Inquiries to the web site page for the tow company get no response.

So... if you have a connection to the seller and this is not a secret sale, but is real, I for one would love to get a chance to ask questions!

That's all.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2023/11/21 15:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Leeedy: Well, I hope you are eventually successful in tracking down the seller if you are interested in one of the cars. I like to post information about Packards for sale here because I'm always hoping to link them up enthusiasts who will restore them so that another car can be saved and returned to the road. I really admire people who can work on cars themselves and tackle a major restoration like some of those cars that came out of the C. Louis Ablelove collection. I just don't have the finances or the skills to do this myself. I tried a few times, but usually ended up losing a lot of money on a car that I then could not afford to finish. And unfortunately, there seems to be far fewer people today than in the past who are willing to restore cars like our Packards to factory original condition. As a result, cars which maybe could have been saved are either being lost to the crusher or turned into street rods. This personally makes me sad sometimes. I wish I could be like C. Louis Ablelove and buy a large warehouse, then just stuff it with cars.

Sadly, in recent years with the advent of the Internet, scammers have invaded our hobby and have really hurt a lot of people. I remember a time when you could generally trust people in the hobby, but sadly, those days seem to be gone. It is certainly possible that at least some postings on Craigslist, Facebook or other sites are deliberate scams, so about all you can do is be extra vigilant. But in this case, you would think that a scammer who went through the trouble of posting multiple fake ads would be eagerly answering them in the hope of quickly defrauding someone out of their money.

Good luck in the search.

Posted on: 2023/11/21 17:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I will politely disagree regarding the trustworthiness of your average internet Joe in Packard-land. Packards are so obscure, that I'd be hard-pressed to remember even one apparent scam I have seen in the past two years regarding one. Scam posts for newish used cars, however, remain common.

Posted on: 2023/11/21 17:51
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
I would tend to agree that scams involving Packards are probably rare, simply because there are far fewer of them out there as compared to other brands and with the passage of time, they have become somewhat obscure. At shows, I am constantly having to explain what s Packard is to younger car people. My comments were more about the old car hobby in general and not specific to Packards. Still, you cannot be too careful these days in dealing with people you don't know over the internet.

Posted on: 2023/11/21 18:20
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
When I first started exploring getting a Packard (just a couple of years ago) I went through a number of "let's see if these are scams" checks that fortunately I had enough doubts, etc. that I was able to more or less confirm without losing a penny. Honestly, I was quite surprised by the number I went through before finding a reputable seller. All that said, I do appreciate how members of the site have been willing to help verify a car that was local to them (without buying it from under others).

Posted on: 2023/11/21 19:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
For a living, I lead a team that investigates contractor, vendor and distributor fraud for my company. I could tell stories that would fill pages here.

When I first started doing this work, what put how rampant it is into perspective was learning about the 10-80-10 rule (if you look it up reference fraud as there are a few). Essentially, what it describes is the distribution of people capable of committing a fraud. If you take the population as a whole, 10% will never commit a fraud regardless of the factors, 80% might, while 10% are actively trying to gain the system. These factors are rationalization, opportunity, and pressure. I studied under a professor that added a fourth element: capability. Something to ponder in church next Sunday as you look around...

It's only a matter of time before AI helps close the gap and make the fraud more realistic to fall for. I have often pondered how dangerous someone could be if they had a reasonable knowledge of collector cars and their parts. If it's too good to pass up at the price, you are most likely about to get ripped off. When I train someone new I start them out with my credo - "Guilty until proven innocent"

Posted on: 2023/11/21 20:27
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
I will politely disagree regarding the trustworthiness of your average internet Joe in Packard-land. Packards are so obscure, that I'd be hard-pressed to remember even one apparent scam I have seen in the past two years regarding one. Scam posts for newish used cars, however, remain common.

This has absolutely nothing to do with trustworthiness or the auction company. It has to do with the bizarre weirdness of someone posting a sale with click-bate in it... and then????? NO ONE responding to the ad... NO ONE answering emails...NO ONE answering the phone because the phone listed does not work!

I'm sorry, but if nobody sees anything supremely strange about all this...WOW.

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along... move along... uhhh and don't forget to click that link!

Posted on: 2023/11/21 21:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Yes, it does depend on the circumstance. There are plenty of lazy sellers out there that don't inspire confidence, but if you don't trust a seller and wire them money anyway, caveat emptor.

Just the usual steps of slowly buying a car, like getting a good amount of current photos and videos, are things that most scammers cannot provide unless they are already stolen off the internet. Of course it's no guarantee that one who provides those is completely honest, but with best practices it's not difficult to keep yourself fairly safe.

Worst case, if you can't pay in person, is to insist the seller post their vehicle on a site like eBay Motors and buy it thru there, which provides escrow protection.

Posted on: 2023/11/22 4:19
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved