Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
234 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 233

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

RUN AWAY 55 400!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

5540Packards
See User information
I was pulling my car out of the garage yesterday my foot barely on the gas pedal when all of a sudden the car accelerated out of control in reverse and I did not get it to stop until it hit the wall of my garage damaging by driver's side door. The car just did the same thing in drive-again I was barely able to get it to stop while burning rubber. Does anyone know what I should look at for this? My car has been converted to a GM 700r transmission for reliability I have never had a problem like this before.

Posted on: 12/5 16:55
 Top  Print   

Re: RUN AWAY 55 400!
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Sounds like a missing or broken throttle return spring.

Posted on: 12/5 17:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Agree...or something laying across the linkage that should not be there. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 12/5 17:55
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It does sound like the linkage return spring might have broken or become disconnected and is not returning the linkage to the idle position. The spring could be in one of two places or, in some cars, both places.

Originally a single spring was positioned under the floor board pulling on the pivot mechanism at the bottom end where the accelerator pedal pushes a rod thru to the pivot piece. Later another location was used in the engine compartment where the spring was mounted vertically, one end on a piece of linkage on the firewall at the rear of the engine and the other end thru a hole in the welded flange toward the bottom of the firewall where pieces of sheetmetal are joined. In some cases a spring was added so both places were used.

Another possibility is since you have the GM transmission, instead of a rod for throttle linkage the GM trans uses a flex cable connected to the accelerator linkage to work the throttle and kickdown mechanism inside the transmission. It is also possible something has happened to the cable or whatever piece was fabricated to attach its end to the accelerator linkage and cable is somehow binding and not letting the accelerator linkage return to the idle position. Depending on how the cable was attached, positioned, or clamped, make sure it did not kink or get damaged by being too close to a hot manifold.

Posted on: 12/5 18:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Excess heat can cause a modern cable to stick.

Another possibility is an engine or transmission mount that has separated. In such a situation, the engine can shift and bind the throttle linkage, causing a situation like you experienced. Sometimes, a car with a separated engine mount will stick the throttle when power is applied, and release it if the engine is shut off, after which the engine may start and idle normally, and respond normally to the throttle until the car is put in gear and throttle applied, whereupon the linkage will bind up again. The left side motor mounts are more likely to separate on some cars, but any issue with motor or transmission mounts can cause the problem.

Posted on: 12/5 19:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
How did this go undetected while the car wasn't in gear???

Posted on: 12/6 11:25
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Probably because he tapped the gas pedal once he was in gear 🤔

Posted on: 12/6 12:15
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

5540Packards
See User information
Thanks for all the replies and advice I admittedly scratching my head over what could have went wrong. Many times on the forum I have stated how pleased I was with the conversion (bendtsens) since it was done almost 10 years ago. it is a mystery to me. Has anyone else who installed a GM 700r in their Packard had this problem? Even if you had the conversion (and it proved to be trouble-free) I would like to hear from you.

Posted on: 12/10 1:01
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved